Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
All I know is that my Sport S Max Tow with a handful of other option packages came to $47,000. Just for kicks, I built a Rubicon with the exact same specs and it was $7,700 more money.

For $7,700 I would have gotten two lockers, a disconnecting sway bar, high-rise fenders, and a 4:1 low range. The tires didn't matter to me as I already had 35s sitting in my barn.

If I then priced those things out aftermarket, I came up WAYYYYYY below $7,700 and so for me it was a no-brainer. The Rubicon wasn't worth it. The cherry on top was that the Sport Max Tow added 37% more payload which opens up entirely new doors for legal towing possibilities.
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Quality is one. Price is another difference. Seems like several will be making the choice to get the running gear and build up a sport, or get it all in a Rubi.
Icon . . . TerraFlex . . . even Mopar . . . you guys listening ? Hello I'm deep in the Forest and someone has apparently detonated a nuclear device (on the radio) . . . but I didn't HEAR IT here ! DID it HAPPEN ? Follow ?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Icon . . . TerraFlex . . . even Mopar . . . you guys listening ? Hello I'm deep in the Forest and someone has apparently detonated a nuclear device (on the radio) . . . but I didn't HEAR IT here ! DID it HAPPEN ? Follow ?
Bro just fish!!! Catch. Release! Don't mind the UFO s. :CWL::CWL::CWL::like:

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
From what I am understanding (and I may be wrong), the sport or sport S w/ max tow package gets the same 44 wide axels as the rubicon version without the lockers. Overland and sport without the max tow package get a narrower Dana 44 set. Haven’t seen anything about spline counts or whatnot so I’m not sure if there are any other differences. I hope I’m understanding it right as I’m leaning towards sport S with max tow and a couple other options and buy a front locker after to save some $$ but have a little extra grip for the half dozen times I actually get to hit the trails each year.
NO. you only get the wide dana 44s with max tow package. if no max tow then they are the regular narrow axles

Sponsored

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
Sorry... to be clear, the narrow axles on the Overland's have the same 32 splined axles? Just shorter? Can I re-gear the Overland axles? or will it require a new carrier group or even new axles?

edit...My RAM blew up, so I needed a truck ASAP and all the Rubicon packages they had were optioned out to high, no Sports just the Overland I purchased. Somewhat of a disclaimer. Still a fail on my part for research. I see dollar signs flowing away.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
Sorry... to be clear, the narrow axles on the Overland's have the same 32 splined axles? Just shorter? Can I re-gear the Overland axles? or will it require a new carrier group or even new axles?

edit...My RAM blew up, so I needed a truck ASAP and all the Rubicon packages they had were optioned out to high, no Sports just the Overland I purchased. Somewhat of a disclaimer. Still a fail on my part for research. I see dollar signs flowing away.
You should be able to regear those up to 5.13 with the same carrier. You can also buy Rubicon axles used for a few thousand w/ lockers and sell yours to recoup some of the cost.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
For $7,700 I would have gotten two lockers, a disconnecting sway bar, high-rise fenders, and a 4:1 low range. The tires didn't matter to me as I already had 35s sitting in my barn.
I think you are looking at this in a very narrow way. To be realistic you have to add EVERY difference between a Max Tow and a RUBICON. Additionally, I would seriously consider the warranty when making these types of changes. I think you may have just void the factory warranty and that could be pretty expensive. I would rather have the factory warranty on a Rubicon than my local 4X4 shop for my D44s. (I am not even aware of after market lockers for the Gladiator). Lastly, the RUBICON is the highest selling model so there are a lot of buyer seeing value in that decision!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think you are looking at this in a very narrow way. To be realistic you have to add EVERY difference between a Max Tow and a RUBICON. Additionally, I would seriously consider the warranty when making these types of changes. I think you may have just void the factory warranty and that could be pretty expensive. I would rather have the factory warranty on a Rubicon than my local 4X4 shop for my D44s. (I am not even aware of after market lockers for the Gladiator). Lastly, the RUBICON is the highest selling model so there are a lot of buyer seeing value in that decision!
I've heard some guys like EVO were picking the overland models and then modding from there. I thought it was because of some of the options available to only overland and rubicon models, plus they liked the lower gear ratio of the transfer case....I THINK.

I have 2.5 years to decide if i'm getting an overland or rubicon, but I don't know what I'll ACTUALLY upgrade. Your factory warranty point is well taken.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I've heard some guys like EVO were picking the overland models and then modding from there. I thought it was because of some of the options available to only overland and rubicon models, plus they liked the lower gear ratio of the transfer case....I THINK.

I have 2.5 years to decide if i'm getting an overland or rubicon, but I don't know what I'll ACTUALLY upgrade. Your factory warranty point is well taken.
lol, stumbled upon my old thread on this subject of transfer case. Need to read up on that again.
Some interesting things said there that run parallel with these axle discussions.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/which-transfer-case-is-best.15765/

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Nope! adding after market parts DOES NOT void warranty. Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The Rubicon is the "highest selling model"? What's the data? This may be, as they flooded the initial market with high-end models, but it certainly isn't this way with the Wrangler sales. I would like to see the actual percentages/numbers of models sold.