7" to 8.4" radio upgrade?

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
Who's gonna be the first? I'm assuming you'd just need to source the radio and bezel. Might be a few cheap coming off a train in Nevada.
Sponsored

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Who's gonna be the first? I'm assuming you'd just need to source the radio and bezel. Might be a few cheap coming off a train in Nevada.
This is a very popular topic on the JL forums. I assume that you've been reading them. I'm in the 5 inch camp, but I'm planning full upgrade.

This upgrade seems fairly straight forward, keeping an eye on this thread. Getting your hands on the 8 inch infotainment for reasonable price would be nice find.

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
This is a very popular topic on the JL forums. I assume that you've been reading them. I'm in the 5 inch camp, but I'm planning full upgrade.

This upgrade seems fairly straight forward, keeping an eye on this thread. Getting your hands on the 8 inch infotainment for reasonable price would be nice find.

I actually didn't even think of looking on the JL forum

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
From what I have seen it is doable but it is extremely expensive. Most people are going the aftermarket route after seeing how much it costs to do the 8.4.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
From what I have seen it is doable but it is extremely expensive. Most people are going the aftermarket route after seeing how much it costs to do the 8.4.
One of the reasons I'm reluctantly (sort of) considering the Overland (don't want or need a full blown RUBI) . As with ANY "jeep of the Wrangler Family" options much more readily available & easily doable in the suspension area ! With the Overland you can get the 8.4" & it automatically gives you the NAV -- I believe you can do a combo option and get the Radio, NAV & stereo upgrade ! ? Don't hold me to that . . . ! ? I would do that if offered . My Overland Build & Price minus the "heated stuff" & minus the "safety stuff" came to ~ $48, 900 ! Yea a big UGH, but that is before any haggling ! There's ALWAYS gonna be Taxes & Fees and other B.S. "they" TRY to pull (if you let them) .

Sponsored

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
My overland didn’t come with the 8.4 it is an option that I didn’t want to pay for.

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
just wondering if anyone had bought a new uconnect and put it in... i bought a used one from a JL and everything worked except the backup camera... but that just might have been something with that unit.. i was thinking of getting a new u connect 68295725AH and seeing how it work.... seems to work fine in the JLs so i would guess it would be the same..

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My JTR has the 8.4” system. But if you have the 7” or 5” screen radios, and want to go aftermarket...I just put a new Alpine ILX-W650 in my 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins, and am extremely happy with the outcome. I’ve had Alpines for 15 years, and they just keep getting better and better over time.

wiredup60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 Audi R8, 2018 Land Rover LR4
Has anyone completed this switch yet on a gladiator? I have read the JL threads, seems like just need the unit, bezel, and a switch out. Is that correct? Would any adjustments from the jscan be needed?

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
Yes I swapped in a 8.4 from a 7 inch worked no issues no programing needed. Just make sure u get a jt take out or new one ....the jl seem to process the backup cam differently. So with the jl units the backup cam will not work

wiredup60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 Audi R8, 2018 Land Rover LR4
Yes I swapped in a 8.4 from a 7 inch worked no issues no programing needed. Just make sure u get a jt take out or new one ....the jl seem to process the backup cam differently. So with the jl units the backup cam will not work
is the JT radio a different part number than the JL? This is the part number I was going to get 68295725AH

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
is the JT radio a different part number than the JL? This is the part number I was going to get 68295725AH
Yes JT uses different numbers. There are a batch of part numbers they use, but 68295725AH is showing as a 2018 JL part and will not work in JT.
Sponsored