Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Dayum! 154 posts ago this thread hit 100,000 views! pretty awesome. Great group effort, especially @Bobs85Reny . :clap:
Sponsored

Last edited:

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
Does anyone know if Front Runner's Slimline II Load Bed Rack will work with the JT bed (without the trail rail system)?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/bakkie-load-bay-slimline-ii-kit-1165-w-x-1358-l.html

colorado_bed_rack_1_1024x1024.jpg
You attach a little rail to the tops of the bedsides. They sell them.

FrontRunner makes a great product. I have their rack and lots of their attachments on my Land Rover. I like it so much I’m planning to attach it to the top of a Leitner on my truck. It’s easy enough to take on and off that I’ll use it for camping and whatnot but keep it off most of the time. I think.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Im confused. So if you want to use the soft topper, you would unfold the rack and it would sit backwards and point up to the sky like on this photo?
uneek-4x4-jk-unlimited-roof-rack-jpg.jpg

But if you wanted the rack, then you flip it forward, but have to fold down your soft topper because the rack is only half way up the rear window?

I think a rack that goes over the cab of the JT, like this one does on the wrangler, would be sweet, because then if you want to take your top off, you could flip the rack back, take top off, or open up the soft-top.

But then when you want to start hauling you just flip the rack down.

Damn I need to take some welding classes and then get a nice tig welder........
Or... 80/20...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Or... 80/20...
Welding is something I've always wanted to learn. I played with my buddies tig welder a few times and even have a wire feed mig welder, never formally taught however.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welding is something I've always wanted to learn. I played with my buddies tig welder a few times and even have a wire feed mig welder, never formally taught however.
So then welding it is!! :)

BuiltRight

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
infringement risk for whom? if @BuiltRight sells these and I buy one, and he gets sued, I suppose its possible I could lose my payment, but he's been selling these for a while on F150s and won a Sema award for them, so I doubt he's infringing.

If this other company is infringing on Builtright, that won't affect me getting my product unless the entire legal process to stop them from infringing halts all his sales, which would be a bad business decision and he seems like a smart guy.....
I think you're confused (the patent is mine), but in any case, it's not something customers or potential customers for either business need to worry about. Any questions, just contact me privately. I don't want boring BS like this mucking up an otherwise great thread. :like:

Matt

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you're confused (the patent is mine), but in any case, it's not something customers or potential customers for either business need to worry about. Any questions, just contact me privately. I don't want boring BS like this mucking up an otherwise great thread. :like:

Matt
good call. :clap:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Im confused. So if you want to use the soft topper, you would unfold the rack and it would sit backwards and point up to the sky like on this photo?
uneek-4x4-jk-unlimited-roof-rack-jpg.jpg

But if you wanted the rack, then you flip it forward, but have to fold down your soft topper because the rack is only half way up the rear window?

I think a rack that goes over the cab of the JT, like this one does on the wrangler, would be sweet, because then if you want to take your top off, you could flip the rack back, take top off, or open up the soft-top.

But then when you want to start hauling you just flip the rack down.

Damn I need to take some welding classes and then get a nice tig welder........
I THINK (?) I understand you -- let's see -- I'm referring to a JT with the 3 Piece Hard top, which has NO CONNECTION to the "SOFT TOPPER / BESTOP / CAN-BACK versions of SOFT FOLDING CAPS . Picture that JLU as the JT . . . Place the FOLDING RACK the SAME way on the JT's Bumper . Now Insert any one of those SOFT TOP CAPs I've mentioned over the JT's BED .
You can access any # of photos of them via Their Websites - do your "internet Magic" - The Manufacturers usually show them deployed or semi-folded to see how they work . . . they even have videos of that . But, I digress, If someone can do a PHOTO SHOP Job of my idea it would ALL come together nicely, I believe . NOW wether or not the RACK HEIGHT is, say, half way to the top of the Hardtop or Flush, I still think the Functionality of this is Good . But FOR ME, I prefer NOT going Flush because THAT would create DRAG, More Wind Noise when stowing items such as luggage or even a RTT . When non of this is USED or ON the Truck . . . THESE Hinged systems are Easily Removable as well . . . 4 Bolts and now you can Haul Tall items from the furniture store or put 127 PlyWood Panels Up-Right (side by side) if the JT could handle all that weight .
:CWL: :clap: . SERIOUSLY though . . . yes, YOU or someone willing to do some (easy?) modification to one of these RACKS could have a Very Versatile System that works On the Job or Vacationing ! I obviously have not done the "research" into the Actual DIMENSIONS of the Companies Racks -- i.e.; 2 door vs 4 door versions ! Probably the JL 2 door Version would be a better Fit (may be ideal?) for the JT BED size ? ONLY modification (if this is the case) would be to the Forward LEGS to mount on the FRAME, as I indicated in my "idea post" !
OK, WHO IS GONNA DO THE PHOTO SHOPPING ? This could "Be The ONE" ! ? ( for My Needs ) . Anyone else "drooling" ? ;)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's an interesting concept... is the rack the height of the cab, but the entire length of the vehicle? or just the height of the bed?
Read the newer Posts . . hopefully they explain . . .

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Other nice option to this is -- the bed rails are untouched . . . Free to come up with other ideas for them ?

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now wouldn't THAT be "sweeter" IF the rack were on My Concept of a Flippable Rear Bumper Rack, at that 1/2 height as well to cut down on some of the wind noise & Drag .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I might have to ask you if I could Hire You to work together on the final solution to the forward mounting AND have you Modify one of the RACKS (mentioned) available ! ??? Possibility ??? Early 2020 .
Wondering what @BuiltRight thinks of this idea of mine ? It could be yours . . . but I get 1st dibs on one ! ?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)