First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I would prefer they provide a locking option of some sort, going aftermarket isn't something I could easily do in my driveway (or would want to try) so it'd be expensive... more than the $595 to add Trac-lok on a normal rear axle. Honestly, with the inability to add trac-lok in a Sport S Max-Tow... I'm back on the fence about a base model Rubicon.
Hear that . . . and not a critical make or break for me ! Not going the Rubi-Route - more of everything I don't need or want . This notion of a 4H Auto -like the Sahara JL's would invite some interest if became a CY2020 Option ! It's been like a "magical thing" with my WK2 . . . Rarely seen in action, but on a rare occasion or 2 in the past 3 years (on the dirt) it seems to of done its "job" well ! No Complaints, for what it is !
Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
While I can offer no reason, I was just looking at the order sheets and it shows that Trac-Lok is NOT available with Max-Tow. While it might work on the jeep.com site, it wouldn't work on an order sheet.

ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE N/A W/AJQ
DSA N/A 23S​
It's not available for the Sport S with Max Tow because there is a different carrier in the pumpkin with the 4.10 gears. If you look at parts for diffs, there are two groups. Parts for 3.73 gears and below, and parts for gears above 3.73. And then you get into spline count and stuff but at it's basic, a locker or LSD for a 3.73 gear will never work with a 4.10 gear.

There is no reason why they can't make Trak Lok for a 4.10 axle, but they don't; probably because Sport S is a very small segment of sales.

So aftermarket. Although there is traction control on my Sport S with Max Tow build sheet, which is a brake lock differential. Which does work, I had it on my old 2010 JKU. Here is more on it.

My plan is after market, would like LSD front and rear

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
It is a pale shadow in its minor effectiveness compared to the helical gear (Torsen-type) rear axle. If you want a serious differential in the back of a Sport S, the answer is to install something.
I like having an LSD on mud roads and deep snow. I have a '90 Miata with a real TorSen LSD (did switch from the stock vLSD), I change the diff fluid every 3rd oil change and it requires no maintainance and works exteremely well. Rev to 7500, actaully anything above 5000, it will lock up autoMagically. This clutch pack Jeep is offering is better than nothing but won't lock up as well as a real TorSen and will require rebuilding (new clutches) after 30,000 - 50,000 miles. So that's an opportunity to pack it tighter (so it locks easier/earlier/sooner) and put carbon fiber clutches or switch to a real TorSen that will never need to be touched bar changing the fluid every 3rd oil change (you can get away with every 10th if you're not drifting) I want to get a gladiator and drift it in the snow, this is why I am interested in the TracLock

Fg94I4k.jpg

I would prefer they provide a locking option of some sort, going aftermarket isn't something I could easily do in my driveway (or would want to try) so it'd be expensive... more than the $595 to add Trac-loc on a normal rear axle. Honestly, with the inability to add trac-lok in a Sport S Max-Tow... I'm back on the fence about a base model Rubicon.
It sounds like you should just get the Max Tow and live with the open diff. For most drivers... an open diff with just the Jeeps brake lock diff/stability control will be much safer. This Trc-Lok's clutches WILL 100% wear out after 30,000 - 50,000 miles and you WILL have to rebuild it. Once the clutches in this Trac-Loc wear out you will just have an open diff. I would say installing a lunchbox on an open diff would be easier depending

Also, all LSDs don't lock well with one wheel in the air like an offroad situation creates. LSDs work best when two wheels of the same axel are on the groud, and there's a limited ammount of slip, not... wheel in the air 100% no resistance.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
It's not available for the Sport S with Max Tow because there is a different carrier in the pumpkin with the 4.10 gears. If you look at parts for diffs, there are two groups. Parts for 3.73 gears and below, and parts for gears above 3.73. And then you get into spline count and stuff but at it's basic, a locker or LSD for a 3.73 gear will never work with a 4.10 gear.

There is no reason why they can't make Trak Lok for a 4.10 axle, but they don't; probably because Sport S is a very small segment of sales.

So aftermarket. Although there is traction control on my Sport S with Max Tow build sheet, which is a brake lock differential. Which does work, I had it on my old 2010 JKU. Here is more on it.

My plan is after market, would like LSD front and rear

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/
That link doesn't work currently, but I have watched this video a few times that shows a Wrangler JK relying on BLD, you can do a lot without any of the aftermarket stuff.

Great point about the 4:10s and spline count... that definitely makes sense. I was thinking "it's a Dana 44, just do it already" but wasn't considering that the 4:10 was a Rubicon thing too. If you want the wide Rubicon axles, you gotta take the no LSD like a Rubicon. To that end... it should be nice if they would add factory locker(s) as an aftermarket option since the hardware is there.

As I mentioned in my previous post though, aftermarket LSD will be an expensive add-on and likely won't ever happen, or won't happen for a while. I have Trac-lok in my JKU and love it, was hoping I'd keep it. If I'm relying on BLD in the Sport then there really isn't a reason to not rely on BLD on a Rubicon at this point. So many options to consider.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That link doesn't work currently, but I have watched this video a few times that shows a Wrangler JK relying on BLD, you can do a lot without any of the aftermarket stuff.

Great point about the 4:10s and spline count... that definitely makes sense. I was thinking "it's a Dana 44, just do it already" but wasn't considering that the 4:10 was a Rubicon thing too. If you want the wide Rubicon axles, you gotta take the no LSD like a Rubicon. To that end... it should be nice if they would add factory locker(s) as an aftermarket option since the hardware is there.

As I mentioned in my previous post though, aftermarket LSD will be an expensive add-on and likely won't ever happen, or won't happen for a while. I have Trac-lok in my JKU and love it, was hoping I'd keep it. If I'm relying on BLD in the Sport then there really isn't a reason to not rely on BLD on a Rubicon at this point. So many options to consider.
One of the reasons I went with the Sport S is because it has a larger payload capacity, roughly 1600 pounds. The tongue weight of a trailer is 10% of the trailer weight as a rule of thumb. You take a family of 4, pile their gear in back of a Rubicon, and it might total 700-800 pounds. That leaves you pulling a 3,000 lb. trailer, with a tongue weight of 300 because the paylaod of a Rubi and Overland are around 1,100 pounds. You get 500 more pounds payload with a Sport S with Max Tow. I figure you can put the family, their stuff in back and tow a trailer.

Something else to factor. They don't make this stuff simple

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Payload is often over looked. You add in 35" tires on bigger rims, steel bumpers front and rear, steel sliders, you could easily be adding 400 lbs. of weight, which comes off the payload. This can easily sneak up on you.

Sport S w/ max tow is the ticket for me

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
One of the reasons I went with the Sport S is because it has a larger payload capacity, roughly 1600 pounds. The tongue weight of a trailer is 10% of the trailer weight as a rule of thumb. You take a family of 4, pile their gear in back of a Rubicon, and it might total 700-800 pounds. That leaves you pulling a 3,000 lb. trailer, with a tongue weight of 300 because the paylaod of a Rubi and Overland are around 1,100 pounds. You get 500 more pounds payload with a Sport S with Max Tow. I figure you can put the family, their stuff in back and tow a trailer.

Something else to factor. They don't make this stuff simple
Yah, this is especially true if you're trying to honor what the sticker in the doorway says... but if I get a Sport S I'll immediately put 33" or 35" tires in there (payload issue #1) and then I'll be upgrading suspension for a mild lift and better ride (payload issue #2) and I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll want heavier duty front/rear bumpers which will just throw this whole thing into the same boat as a Rubicon. The difference being, the Sport will say #1650 through all the changes. =oP

wish it there wasn't paperwork and BS marketing numbers to factor in, but you make a valid point.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Payload is often over looked. You add in 35" tires on bigger rims, steel bumpers front and rear, steel sliders, you could easily be adding 400 lbs. of weight, which comes off the payload. This can easily sneak up on you.

Sport S w/ max tow is the ticket for me
Doh... didn't read you follow up email. This exactly. If I start at Rubicon, these things are already applied... and I'll be "rubiconing" my Sport fairly quickly.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doh... didn't read you follow up email. This exactly. If I start at Rubicon, these things are already applied... and I'll be "rubiconing" my Sport fairly quickly.
I gave a JK rubi right now, and love it. Really a well engineered rig. If you go rubi you will fall for it.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I gave a JK rubi right now, and love it. Really a well engineered rig. If you go rubi you will fall for it.
Yah, I'm at least half a year out from ordering or trying to find my truck (they only just started shipping my color) but I'm leaning strongly towards a minimally spec'd Rubicon with 35" duratracs, then adding the things that Jeep is over-charging for gradually. If I could have had the LSD on the Sport S Max-Tow then I wouldn't consider Rubicon as hard. As it is, the price difference is $3500 between the two identically spec'd trucks and I can wait longer to start upgrading.

Sponsored

mhunnesh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (past)
While I can offer no reason, I was just looking at the order sheets and it shows that Trac-Lok is NOT available with Max-Tow. While it might work on the jeep.com site, it wouldn't work on an order sheet.

ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE N/A W/AJQ
DSA N/A 23S​
Does anyone know why the anti-spin differential is not available with the Sport S / Manual Transmission combo (23S)?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Does anyone know why the anti-spin differential is not available with the Sport S / Manual Transmission combo (23S)?
@Hemi pointed out, the Max Tow axle is the same as Rubicon and only designed for the 4:10 gears with increased splines. Jeep didn't design for a Trac-Lok for the Rubicon since it comes with a locker, so the Max Tow doesn't get it either. (Maybe they'll come out with lockers for it next year.)

mhunnesh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Hemi pointed out, the Max Tow axle is the same as Rubicon and only designed for the 4:10 gears with increased splines. Jeep didn't design for a Trac-Lok for the Rubicon since it comes with a locker, so the Max Tow doesn't get it either. (Maybe they'll come out with lockers for it next year.)
I was referring to Trac-Lok differential (DSA) not being available for 23S even without selecting Max Tow. NOTE: Max Tow cannot be selected with manual transmission anyway.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I was referring to Trac-Lok differential (DSA) not being available for 23S even without selecting Max Tow. NOTE: Max Tow cannot be selected with manual transmission anyway.
My apologies, I didn't read critically. I haven't seen a reason for it not to be included, but its more confusing because Trac-lok for Overland does not have a restriction sayng N/A with 23G (Manual Overland.)

mhunnesh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My apologies, I didn't read critically. I haven't seen a reason for it not to be included, but its more confusing because Trac-lok for Overland does not have a restriction sayng N/A with 23G (Manual Overland.)
No problem! Yes, I've seen many manual Overlands In Transit or On Dealer Lot that have it. The salesman at a local dealer can't get an answer from his FCA rep. The weird thing is I don't notice anything keeping someone from ordering a manual plain Sport with Trac-Lok.
Sponsored