Gladiator vs Tacoma IMO

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Well in order to enjoy it, I have to get in it.

Since even in 2019 Toyota still builds their vehicles to fit your average sized Japanese buyer, it wasn't even a contender for me.

If you are a manlet Tacoma is a pretty capable vehicle, built by a reputable company with excellent resale. But if you're large enough that you don't buy your clothes in the youth section of your favorite department store, there is simply no seating position in one of them that is comfortable for more than a short trip.

Sorry, I didn't watch your video, but I did bump your thread, so there is that.

OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Well in order to enjoy it, I have to get in it.

Since even in 2019 Toyota still builds their vehicles to fit your average sized Japanese buyer, it wasn't even a contender for me.

If you are a manlet Tacoma is a pretty capable vehicle, built by a reputable company with excellent resale. But if you're large enough that you don't buy your clothes in the youth section of your favorite department store, there is simply no seating position in one of them that is comfortable for more than a short trip.

Sorry, I didn't watch your video, but I did bump your thread, so there is that.
You bring a very valid point, something I didn’t consider when I drove a 3rd gen Tacoma. I am on the shorter side 5’ 10” so I fit in the Tacoma alright but yeah if you can’t fit comfortably that makes sense

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Great Video TJ! I'll be subscribing to the channel!!
I just subscribed also. Thanks for the straight up comparison @tjmitchellfilms

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
You bring a very valid point, something I didn’t consider when I drove a 3rd gen Tacoma. I am on the shorter side 5’ 10” so I fit in the Tacoma alright but yeah if you can’t fit comfortably that makes sense
And not just fit comfortably in front, but also in the back seats. I'm 5/10", and it's tight in the back seat of a Tacoma. Push the seat back all the way for someone tall in front, and there is literally no leg room behind it. These 2 trucks are on my short list, though I'm pretty sure I know what option is left.

OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
And not just fit comfortably in front, but also in the back seats. I'm 5/10", and it's tight in the back seat of a Tacoma. Push the seat back all the way for someone tall in front, and there is literally no leg room behind it. These 2 trucks are on my short list, though I'm pretty sure I know what option is left.
Ah that makes sense. I have only driven one, never rode in the back seat but I can totally see how it would be cramped.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
I remember test driving a Taco, manual of course, and loved it other than the braking (rear drums)

Obviously now that the Gladiators out and specced it's cheaper than my current truck, there's no way I'd wind up with one, but considering I prefer to be in control and wanna enjoy the ride, it was a serious contender, especially considering the only other manual truck was a dinosaur (though a solid one)

Most comparisons with the other trucklets throw in the automatic, which was programmed for efficiency, yet again, transmission makes or breaks certain vehicles and this is one of them.

Obviously never took it off roading, but from the Taco forums, they say they're capable of 90% of what the Jeep is, so it's truly a solid competitor.

Only other point I wanna make is yes, it's tiny, and I realized that after I went to another dealer to sit in them, but I'm 5'9 and I'm usually by myself, so it wouldn't of mattered.

Just my two cents

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
I remember test driving a Taco, manual of course, and loved it other than the braking (rear drums)

Obviously now that the Gladiators out and specced it's cheaper than my current truck, there's no way I'd wind up with one, but considering I prefer to be in control and wanna enjoy the ride, it was a serious contender, especially considering the only other manual truck was a dinosaur (though a solid one)

Most comparisons with the other trucklets throw in the automatic, which was programmed for efficiency, yet again, transmission makes or breaks certain vehicles and this is one of them.

Obviously never took it off roading, but from the Taco forums, they say they're capable of 90% of what the Jeep is, so it's truly a solid competitor.

Only other point I wanna make is yes, it's tiny, and I realized that after I went to another dealer to sit in them, but I'm 5'9 and I'm usually by myself, so it wouldn't of mattered.

Just my two cents
I don’t think it’s 90% capable when your talking off road only. I think the Tacoma can do 70% of what the Gladiator can do, which is more than enough for most people. The solid front axle, front locker, 4:1 transfer case, and sway bar disconnect are huge features. Like it said in my video this is looking at it from a purely off road point of view

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I don’t think it’s 90% capable when your talking off road only. I think the Tacoma can do 70% of what the Gladiator can do, which is more than enough for most people. The solid front axle, front locker, 4:1 transfer case, and sway bar disconnect are huge features. Like it said in my video this is looking at it from a purely off road point of view
Solid front axles and disconnects add so much versatility just by themselves. And the thing no one talks about with Jeeps is how big their wheel wells are. You can put 35s on them with a 2" lift, possibly 37s. A Taco you would need what 4.5" to fit a 35 with travel?

They're both great vehicles, just have slightly different niches.

OP
OP
TJ Mitchell Films

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
Solid front axles and disconnects add so much versatility just by themselves. And the thing no one talks about with Jeeps is how big their wheel wells are. You can put 35s on them with a 2" lift, possibly 37s. A Taco you would need what 4.5" to fit a 35 with travel?

They're both great vehicles, just have slightly different niches.
Yes you would need about that much lift on the Tacoma, plus you would have to do the body mount chop

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Traded my Gen 3 Taco in for a JT Overland. The ride is better on the JT overall. The Gen 3 Taco Transmission sucks! Loved the Taco look but .... went back to Jeep since they now have a truck. Got rid of my JKU a few years back as I needed to do truck stuff..LOL

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Solid front axles and disconnects add so much versatility just by themselves.
Bingo. I have a JK U Rubicon, and I use the sway bar disconnect way more than I use the lockers. Articulation is your best friend off road, especially out here in the West. You don't encounter a ton of mud or slippery conditions. The game is more about keeping all four tires on the ground. SFA FTW.
Sponsored