Sponsored

37-inch spare tire solution for running around town and easy trails?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I agree on dragging, same width if doing 37 12.5, just bigger around so won't stick down any further.

BFG KM3s are 34.5 for 35s, 36.5 for 37s, so it is a full extra inch each way... but like you said, there is some space already there, seems hard to believe a half inch or so can't be found in there somewhere. Shield probably has to go i'd think, and maybe that will be enough with some fiddling.

Just don't know what's around or behind it.

I'm thinking topside. Put a 2x? in the vertical slots. That should break the bed into areas. One configuration or another should be large enough for the spare to lay inside that area, bounded by the bed walls and 2x6 or 2x8. Lay in spare. Secure. Cover with plywood. Pack your what else. Off you go.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm thinking topside. Put a 2x? in the vertical slots. That should break the bed into areas. One configuration or another should be large enough for the spare to lay inside that area, bounded by the bed walls and 2x6 or 2x8. Lay in spare. Secure. Cover with plywood. Pack your what else. Off you go.
like a low-tech "decked" setup!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
yet another NoTech solutions!!!

36e25744fdc22b10260cd096ce6f08bd--wrangler-jeep-jeep-jeep.jpg
Am I the only one or are there others? Whenever I see a Jeep, even a cartoon Jeep like this, my first involuntary reaction is to identify the generation? I see this image and automatically my brain orientates itself by saying JK, then moves on to the content of the message.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
Am I the only one or are there others? Whenever I see a Jeep, even a cartoon Jeep like this, my first involuntary reaction is to identify the generation? I see this image and automatically my brain orientates itself by saying JK, then moves on to the content of the message.
Same

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Not sure I'd fuss with all of that. Do it right and carry the correct size spare tire.

I'm fairly certain there's not 38" of room between the wheel well and front of bed corner in a Gladiator.

Also running a tire on the hood is novel but you've got to not only reinforce the hood but find a super skinny spare. Many LR Series owners with tires on the hood hate it from a lost visibility perspective.

These will be your options:

1) Somehow modify the rear under carriage spare tire area on the Gladiator. A 35" already fits stock, so hopefully you can fit the spare with minimal effort. As long as the chassis rails aren't the obstruction, anything is possible. Could be hard to reach and it will get dragged over everything off-road.

2) Rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. Won't be cheap and further lengthens an already long vehicle. Some loss of visibility at back end of truck. Easy access when you need the spare. Rear backup camera a necessity. But also gives you ability to carry extra fuel and tools and not take up bed space.

3) Baja truck style spare tire mounted to bed floor. But defeats the purpose of having a truck if you are going to take up 38" out of a 60" bed for the spare tire...

4) Custom fab a spare tire mount bracket to secure the spare against the front wall of the bed. You'll lose a lot of rear visibility as the tire sits on the bed floor...

5) Roof rack mount. This throws off your center of gravity. Not the easiest to reach or secure.

I'm probably going with #2 at some point. Have one now and it's the best modification $$ I ever spent.
#2 Suprised Jeep did not do that. I like the rear mount myself. Gonna look at that as an engineering exercise, I bought the JT for my wife, anything to get her out of that Caddy Escalade...Done right the rear is the best setup and I see no effect on approach angles, never affected any of my Jeeps.

CAMERAS are your friend

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
hahaha, but CJ.,YT and TJ all came with a gas tank in front of the rear bumper and didn't have pinto problems.
They are but I never had any issues at all, they have a decent skid. That said here is a little trick on the TJ's, pull the tank and reinstall up and back, you gain about 1 1/2 in back, this allows you move the rear axle back about 1 in....and if you really engineer it right, you gain an inch in wheelbase and you KEEP your OEM driveshaft length! Something from my bag of tricks!!!

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Wilco Off-Road has a bed mount out that may work.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this on IG the other day on a Raptor Overland build and love the idea as its goes in to the tow hitch. I like the fact I can put it on for adventures but around town take it off.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
They make a quality product. I've been running their aluminum front bumper on my JKU and have been really happy with it!
Yea they look like they make top end stuff, and have some really great ideas for products. Im a fan.

iwantJT

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Accord
37-inch spare tire solution for running around town and easy trails?

I was looking for a thread to post this but see nothing this specific in the other threads.

1. I plan to run 37's and use the factory 33-inch as a spare. If I get a flat tire that can’t be plugged immediately, I could put the 33 on the front right axle and then address the flat tire accordingly, keeping the front axle unlocked and having the smaller tire on the front axle disconnect side should get me back home from running around town or to a tire shop without driveline issues, just keep my speed under 50mph on pavement.

2. I imagine you could also drive out of a trail in 3-wheel drive; i.e. both axles locked but disconnecting the FAD actuator, thus keeping the smaller spare tire free on the front right axle while still sending power to the front left. I wonder if the jeep electronics would cause an issue with this approach? And then limp home as described above.

Obviously, for moderate or harder wheeling or not wheeling close to home, I would keep a 37 in the garage and toss it in the bed before leaving the house.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever run a smaller spare on their jeep to get home or limp off the trail? I'm sure idea #1 will be good for running around town, and possibly easy trails close to home if idea #2 will work (assuming I ran out of plugs or tore a sidewall open).

With running 37’s and a smaller spare, would it be worth the extra $250 to purchase a 35-inch spare tire to keep under the bed instead of the 33? Or I could put that $250 towards on-board air and plugs instead. I'm going to buy 5x 37 inch tires, I just don't want to drag the spare 37 around in the bed of the truck.

Also… I don't like the bumper mounted spare tire carrier idea as it would make the truck look even longer, interfere with departure angles, and cost another $1000. You would also need a solution for the 3rd brake light and backup camera (something like the JL brake light and camera setup - more money to spend).

According to Jeep, up to a 35 will fit under the bed due to the rear diff/track bar clearance (and possibly tow hitch and frame rails). I wouldn't want to cut anything, but I would like to see someone try stuffing a 37 there, though I would be concerned with dragging the 2-inch wider tire when coming down the trail.

Just read another thread we’re someone mounted a 37” Tire with the steel Spare underneath the in in stock location