f150 size vs Gladiator

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I went from a F-150 Supercrew to the JLU/JT vehicles. In terms of rear seat space and room, obviously there is no contest. The Jeep feels like a sardine can compared to the Ford. The F-150 is WAYYYYY more comfortable.

But, the size that makes the F-150 so comfy is also what makes it not fit in my garage, get 15 MPGs on a good day, impractical for an offroad trail through the woods, and a pain in the a$$ to park in a parking lot or parking structure. Honestly, I don't miss the F-150. Haven't missed it since I traded it off.
Very good points. My wife and I have been discussing a truck camper for several years now and one of the reasons we want a truck. If you want a basic truck there are a ton of options but when you are looking for something with some off road chops and decent payload/towing the options get much more limited. We have looked at a Ram Rebel which fits our needs as a family but is limited in payload capacity like the Gladiator (two different tiers of vehicles though). The F-150 was on our radar as well but for the reasons you mentioned we decided against it. We enjoy wheeling and exploring and the F-150 is a bit too big for my comfort level off road. However, something like a Four Wheel Camper stripped model might work for us but more than likely a RTT or basic ground tent will tick all the needs boxes at a much more affordable price.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
So I’ve finally sworn off the possibility of getting a Raptor. I wanted to do it but last weekend I was wheeling on Crystal Lake Trail, just south of Breckinridge, Co, and realized there was no way a Raptor would fit. There are a lot of trails that are like that in CO. Add the price, the fact that it barely fits in my garage, the much smaller community, etc. etc. and I’ve finally made up my mind that the Gladiator is the right truck for me..

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
@steffen707
I think I am one of the minority going the other way. I have a power wagon now and am going to the JT. All I see plastered all over Facebook and other outlets is "why would you pay that much when you can get x model full size truck for less" . My power wagon is very spacious and I have had 6 in it. But it sucks parking in the airport garage, which I do every week, and the 11 to 12 mpg is getting old just hauling me around. I sold my boat so I don't need the 2500 anymore and I have really missed having a Jeep. The whole removable top and doors thing, ya know. Plus I challenge anyone to show me ANY vehicle with a stronger aftermarket than a Jeep.
Amen!

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
I have a tundra crewmax. Tons of room inside but I am alone in it 99% of the time. I have a camper to tow but only 5kish loaded. Took wife and 3 kids for the test drive. All fit well enough for the 5 or so camping trips per year. Better gas mileage, more garage space and the "sun roof" (hehe) are more useful than 13 mpg.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have a tundra crewmax. Tons of room inside but I am alone in it 99% of the time. I have a camper to tow but only 5kish loaded. Took wife and 3 kids for the test drive. All fit well enough for the 5 or so camping trips per year. Better gas mileage, more garage space and the "sun roof" (hehe) are more useful than 13 mpg.
Sounds like a "sound" analysis.

Sponsored

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a Ram 1500, 4 door, 9" lifted truck to the Gladiator. Of course my Ram has more cabin space. But seriously, how often will I have three people in the back seat where two of them are 250+? I could have went to a Raptor, Silverado, another Ram, or maybe a big a$$ diesel. But why? I didn't need all of that! I got what I like, what I wanted, and I still do the same things I were doing with my Ram like haul my boat and other stuff. Only difference is now I haul and ride with no doors and roof! Have some fun!!!

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
I'm a short guy, one thing i really like about the Gladiator is that i can reach the bottom of the bed of a Rubicon from the side of the bed. On an F150 not a chance, I think the side of the bed is higher than my shoulder. That being said, F150s are swanky trucks. Room for days.

PmRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
The interior space of the f150 is one of the reasons I’m still thinking about a Raptor. I’d might have pulled the trigger already if the dealers around here were willing to give better discounts.
raptor is nice. I miss mine at times. But, parking it sucked, can’t use most car washes and it was killing ants with sledgehammers for me. Roomy? Hell ya, fast? No doubt. Gladiator fits 4 large adults can squeeze another skinny one in back. Can’t turn raptor into a convertible.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
raptor is nice. I miss mine at times. But, parking it sucked, can’t use most car washes and it was killing ants with sledgehammers for me. Roomy? Hell ya, fast? No doubt. Gladiator fits 4 large adults can squeeze another skinny one in back. Can’t turn raptor into a convertible.
Yea, I was able to put my raptor desires to bed. The size of it was just too much of an issue.

Length wise it was just too big for my garage. width wise it’s just too big for many trails. I was on Jenny Creek trail last week. No was a raptor would fit on that one.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Not a Raptor, but as I have a Rebel, I can attest to the size

Went to comic con on Saturday, took me a good half hour to find a parking garage as NYC is chaotic with it's parking situation.

Yeah, smaller is better when you're not gonna utilize all the potential

Sponsored

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
First hand experience here... loved my 2017 F-150 had tons of room and tons of power... even told my Jeep salesman which is a buddy of mine, this might be the craziest thing I have done... swapping my 2017 3.5 EcoBoost in on the Gladiator...

But I am a Jeep guy... this is the 4th one I have had, and when I saw the concept, and how much it could tow... I knew I had to have one.

I sold my last 4 door JK because we needed a more family oriented vehicle with the addition of a new little guy... so that turned into a Navigator.

For the truck, the Gladiator is the best of both worlds to me... I get my truck and my Jeep.

I have two kids under the age of 5 and car seats we’re no big deal in the F-150 because it had so much room, but we only really went that route towing our boat to the lake or going to church. 95% of the time I was just putting my golf clubs back there, or my gym bag.

The gladiator has plenty of room for what it is... you have to step back, and look at the application. I have put the two car seats in the back as well. I wouldn’t want to drive across the country with it like that but it does just fine.

... I passed a ton of F150’s on the road on the way to trade it in, and I know that says how popular the F150 is but everyone has one... I do miss the sound of that turbo tho!

The brotherhood of the Jeep, especially Gladiator owners now, really can’t be beat. :like:

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I have two kids under the age of 5 and car seats we’re no big deal in the F-150 because it had so much room, but we only really went that route towing our boat to the lake or going to church.
The brotherhood of the Jeep, especially Gladiator owners now, really can’t be beat. :like:
Why would you tow your boat to church? :giggle: j/k

I hear you, I thought long and hard between the Raptor and the Gladiator but I was just in love with the Gladiator and was waiting for 3 years since it was mentioned they would come out with it... As a previous TJ owner and a GC owner I have learned to live with the quirks of the Jeep and don't mind it tbh.

Now I just feel like I need a cruiser like a Caddy or an Audi A7 for those long comfortable drives, but maybe I am just getting old :CWL:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Now I just feel like I need a cruiser like a Caddy or an Audi A7 for those long comfortable drives, but maybe I am just getting old :CWL:
OR a Chrysler Pacifica? :idea:

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I will be trading a 16 model F-150, and my 18 model JL, for the Gladiator. I will miss the amenities the F-150 has. Cooled seats, lots of room, that 30 something gallon gas tank that I don't have to fill as often! I will also miss the JL, in that it being a 2 door, I can get in really tight places in it. But getting rid of an extra vehicle will save us money in insurance, license & gas. Mostly though, I think the Gladiator is a good compromise in that it is both truck & Jeep. I may find out differently once I get it, but I am willing to take that chance.

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’ll say this... I have had people say sweet F-150 or something along those lines... but that was about it... and it was a very nice truck.. and I am not dissing it my any means as I loved the truck.

But...

I have had several people stop me at the gas pumps / parking lots etc. just to ask questions or to talk for 10 - 20 min about the Gladiator because they are just that cool...

I’ll say this too if you raise the seats up in the back you’ll have plenty of room to throw stuff in.
Sponsored