Sponsored

Adding extra lights to the bed

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Has anyone added extra lights to the bed? I saw online they make LED strips to go along the top rails on the sides of the bed. Can you tap into the wiring for the light that’s already by the tail gate so they would all work off the switch in the cab?
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Like this?

You could use the six switches or tap an existing lighting circuit or a stand alone switch. The amp draw is so low the wiring need not be heavy or complicated.

0C86F908-E2A9-4140-BE29-8A7DC57B0EAD.png

OP
OP

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Like this?

You could use the six switches or tap an existing lighting circuit or a stand alone switch. The amp draw is so low the wiring need not be heavy or complicated.

0C86F908-E2A9-4140-BE29-8A7DC57B0EAD.png
Yup, just like that. Will help with unloading in the dark. I have the aux switches so I might use them but I figured I might be able to save a switch since the existing bed light already has a switch. I’ll try to find that wire run and see if I can tap into it. Thanks for the input.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Yup, just like that. Will help with unloading in the dark. I have the aux switches so I might use them but I figured I might be able to save a switch since the existing bed light already has a switch. I’ll try to find that wire run and see if I can tap into it. Thanks for the input.
I've been meaning to look into this also. The wires are easy to get to, just look under the bed, they are tucked into the sides right by the bed lights themselves. My idea was to basically wire in some led strips as well. I'll look at the wiring diagram tomorrow and let you know if there is anything funky in it. The harness is shared, all the wires going to (past) the bed follow a similar path.

Wiring to the existing lights is nice because there is already a switch - the problem I see is they don't stay on indefinitely. If they vehicle is off, they will go off on their own, after a preset time... I think you can change that time in the uconnect?
If the vehicle is on, they do stay on as long as the switch in the cab is on.

My initial mod will be to the existing switch, but when I run power to the bed I'll have a separate circuit for lighting that can be switched on and off whenever, vehicle on or off, AND with a switch in the bed.

OP
OP

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I've been meaning to look into this also. The wires are easy to get to, just look under the bed, they are tucked into the sides right by the bed lights themselves. My idea was to basically wire in some led strips as well. I'll look at the wiring diagram tomorrow and let you know if there is anything funky in it. The harness is shared, all the wires going to (past) the bed follow a similar path.

Wiring to the existing lights is nice because there is already a switch - the problem I see is they don't stay on indefinitely. If they vehicle is off, they will go off on their own, after a preset time... I think you can change that time in the uconnect?

My initial mod will be to the existing switch, but when I run power to the bed I'll have a separate circuit for lighting that can be switched on and off whenever, vehicle on or off, AND with a switch in the bed.
Thanks for your input. You seem to know a lot more about this than me, so I do appreciate it. I want to learn to do some mods myself, and this site has been great. Please let me know if you find anything out while you tackle the project yourself.

I need to research how to splice and connect wires properly. I’m new to all this. So if you don’t mind, I might have some more questions later. But thanks for all you provided so far.

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your input. You seem to know a lot more about this than me, so I do appreciate it. I want to learn to do some mods myself, and this site has been great. Please let me know if you find anything out while you tackle the project yourself.

I need to research how to splice and connect wires properly. I’m new to all this. So if you don’t mind, I might have some more questions later. But thanks for all you provided so far.
Sure. The hardest part is finding the right wire - especially in newer vehicles.

But in terms of splicing, this is one of those topics that breaks the internet. There are a lot of strong opinions in different camps.

For me personally I use one of two methods:

1) Most of the time I just use posi-lock connectors. They are very very good. I've never had one fail or loosen. They are a little pricier, but to me they are literally the best connectors I've come across.

https://www.posi-products.com/
upload_2019-7-19_9-40-22.png

2) Specifically for T splices I may slice the wire, pull out the conductors a bit and thread in my tap. Then I wrap that splice with some kind of sealant - good moisture sealant, shrink wrap, or if none of that is around, good electrical tape.
This is a decent video that explains the method (not my video):

With either method you need some kind of sealant and wire management. You don't want wires flopping around, and if this is outside the vehicle you really don't want moisture getting in the connections.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

I love these for building better then OEM harnesses. Paired with a Lineman’s splice, the only better option is clean wire from the start.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I love these for building better then OEM harnesses. Paired with a Lineman’s splice, the only better option is clean wire from the start.
That low temp solder is pretty cool. Had not seen that yet. I wonder if they have something for T splices.
If I'm doing this type of work for a client, yea, I will solder, but just for me, the posi-locks are perfect.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a diagram of the driver (left) side:
upload_2019-7-20_22-43-42.png

The passenger side is in the same spot on the opposite side. Those wires are accessible from below. You can get at both connectors.
On the drivers side black is ground beige is the driver.
On the passenger side black is ground, red is the driver.
They are both coming from the same circuit - and they are sharing a fuse with other lighting. I think Fuse F20 which is a 30A fuse... I need to confirm that.

I also want to confirm that the amount of time these lights stay on is controlled from the UConnect. I know the headlights are, and there is one other setting. I'll confirm today.

Sponsored

NovaGladi8or

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F350
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

@ralphjjr - where are you getting the information for the wiring, including the pictures?

OP
OP

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Thanks for the info @ralphjjr. It’s been way to hot around this past week to look around under the truck myself. I’m also wondering where you’re getting all this good info from too? It seems simple enough to splice into those lines to hook up led strips.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a subscription to Tech Authority.

So after further review, I don't think this is the best option. The lights seem to only stay on for about a minute... if that... when the ignition is off.
This will be something I add once I've got some additional circuits in the bed.

OP
OP

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I have a subscription to Tech Authority.

So after further review, I don't think this is the best option. The lights seem to only stay on for about a minute... if that... when the ignition is off.
This will be something I add once I've got some additional circuits in the bed.
Yeah, I tested the bed lights and saw they don’t stay in long if the truck is turned off as well. I guess the LED strips would need their own wiring from one of my aux switches.

Steed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Diesel

Wait, there’s a switch in the cab for the bed light from factory? How have I not seen this?
Sponsored