Sponsored

DIY rotopax bedside mount

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I put this together today with stuff I had lying around. I ordered the L bracket but had everything else. Mounts to the trail rails inside the bed.
20190717_200007.jpg

20190717_200025.jpg
20190717_200032.jpg
20190717_200017.jpg
20190717_200159.jpg

The mounts are from the thule tracrac 2016+ tacoma mounting kit and are for mounting a truck bed tool box, came with the kit I got to mount the tracrac (can be seen in a different thread). I had to enlarge the holes on the L bracket but it otherwise bolted up. As you can see, it sticks out a little, but that was due to the included hardware. I could mount it to the other set of enlarged bolt holes seen in the 2nd pic, but then the upper hardware for the rotopax mount would just barely touch the body. My plan, if I use it, is to trim the bolts and use thin nylock nuts with rubber covers and add a rubber bumper against the body to keep it from bouncing at all and protect the paint. It would work fine as I have it but sticks out a little too far, I'd rather it be tucked in to the body.
Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
OP
OP

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to do it - here are the parts you'd need:

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-TracRac-TracONE-Accessory-Toolbox/dp/B01CKQPTJ8

https://rotopax.com/fuelpax-dlx-pack-mounts-clone-.html?category_id=31

https://rotopax.com/l-bracket.html?category_id=7

You'd have to modify the feet on the bed rail mounts like so:

20190630_153126s.jpg

And drill out the set of holes on the L-bracket (to 3/8") you want to use to fit the hardware that come with the mounts. Total cost is around $170, not including the actual rotopax/fuelpax container. I had everything except the L-bracket, so it cost me $40. You'd also have all the mounts necessary for a TracRac (fixed height) or Xsporter (adjustable) bed rack.

Last edited:

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Does it float away from the body or is there a pad or something between them? I'd be worried about dirt getting in there and rubbing on the paint or it flexing when going over bumps and hitting the side. Did you test that kind of stuff or is it a worry from your side?

OP
OP

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it float away from the body or is there a pad or something between them? I'd be worried about dirt getting in there and rubbing on the paint or it flexing when going over bumps and hitting the side. Did you test that kind of stuff or is it a worry from your side?
It floats away from the body - you can see it in the 2nd pic. I want to bring it closer to the body, but need different hardware for attaching the mount to the L-bracket as the bolts stick out too far and just touch the body. I also plan to put a rubber bumper on the bottom of the bracket so if it vibrates or gets bumped, that's what will contact the body and not anything metal. I haven't done any testing yet, just test fit it yesterday as I had all the parts in. I'm not concerned about it hitting anything as installed in those pics as it'd have to take a pretty good hit to contact the body - but, with it sticking out, the chances of it taking one are a little higher, hence why I'd rather tuck it in closer. That should also put less stress on the mount.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't had a chance to use it off-road yet. I have a trip coming up in Nov but I don't think I'll need extra fuel. I may fill it with water and try it as a test, though.
Sponsored