Genesis off Road JL dual battery probably works with JT

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I've run fridges in my Jeeps and trucks for more than 20 years. I had the Genesis kit in my '13 Rubicon and really liked it. When I traded it for the '16 Canyon, I decided to go with an ArkPak containing a lightweight 100Ah LiFePO4 battery to power the fridge in the bed of the truck...and also ran an 8-gauge wire direct from the battery to a receptacle in the bed so I could also use the truck's electrical system. I haven't yet decided which route I'll take with the Gladiator. If I keep the fridge in the bed, I may stay with the ArkPak, but will need to weatherproof it somehow. I'm considering the Bestop truck topper thing, which will hopefully be available sometime soon. It's too bad Jeep didn't provide a 12-volt receptacle in the bed.
This makes me wonder if we could re-provision the harness going to the bed outlet for 12V... or at least some of the wires in that harness.
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
this would be highly inefficient. I mean it'll work, but much better to run heavy gauge 12V to the bed to charge from alternator. unless goal zero can't charge like that.
Once I'm burning dinosaurs to move my 200lb *cough* body with 5000lb of vehicle, the few percent loss from using the inverter is kind of moot for me. :)

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Once I'm burning dinosaurs to move my 200lb *cough* body with 5000lb of vehicle, the few percent loss from using the inverter is kind of moot for me. :)
I'm not saying converting from 12 volt to 120 back to 12 is the inefficiency.

What i meant was, a freaking 400watt charger isn't going to charge up your battery very quickly.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/power-stations/goal-zero-yeti-1000-lithium-portable-power-station/
5A Wall charger, 18 hours That's at 600 watts. I don't even know if it would charge slower, or just blow your fuse, but that would take .............a lot of time.

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
What i meant was, a freaking 400watt charger isn't going to charge up your battery very quickly.
Agreed, I wasn't intending to charge from 0% - more of a trickle charge while driving around. Also depends on what solar option I take with me camping as one of my plans may have a solid mount solar panel that would work while driving, but another would only be used when we're stopped.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Agreed, I wasn't intending to charge from 0% - more of a trickle charge while driving around. Also depends on what solar option I take with me camping as one of my plans may have a solid mount solar panel that would work while driving, but another would only be used when we're stopped.
Fair enough. What solar options are you comparing?

Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Well, the fridges don't use much, like 10-12 Watt/hour, so a 100W panel should be fine. Since I don't know that I'll remove the rear roof, I may go with a rack above that and do a semi-permanent mount with a 100W panel. That way I could charge even while driving around. I have to do more thought on the kinds of things that will take power when camping - but at the moment I'd probably look at the Goal Zero 400. I think the 1000 would be overkill. Cellphones and iPads should be fine from the 400. Can't imagine much else than that and the only thing I'd have to touch the vehicle battery for is any of its lights. That'd get me pretty far and be quite a bit cheaper than the Genesis system. I see the Genesis as something I grow into once I see my power demands on the vehicle are beyond what I'm imagining.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Well, the fridges don't use much, like 10-12 Watt/hour, so a 100W panel should be fine. Since I don't know that I'll remove the rear roof, I may go with a rack above that and do a semi-permanent mount with a 100W panel. That way I could charge even while driving around. I have to do more thought on the kinds of things that will take power when camping - but at the moment I'd probably look at the Goal Zero 400. I think the 1000 would be overkill. Cellphones and iPads should be fine from the 400. Can't imagine much else than that and the only thing I'd have to touch the vehicle battery for is any of its lights. That'd get me pretty far and be quite a bit cheaper than the Genesis system. I see the Genesis as something I grow into once I see my power demands on the vehicle are beyond what I'm imagining.
I agree. I think a Goal Zero 400 is probably sufficient for what you want.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
ZAMP, ZAMP and let's see, oh yea, ZAMP . . . ALL components are right there in a neat easy to operate unit . . . with many sizes to choose from, don't quote me, but if I'm not mistaken, they are now manufactured in the USA ! The "other guys" you'll see at the EXPO's (East or West) are China . . . and that's all I'll say on that . Zamp's gonna be my "Modus-Operendi" for "small stuff" charging (iPad +) and the Fridge, so perhaps the more complex Genesis will take second fiddle at 1st !
The Flexibility with the Portable Solar Panels is what I like about it .
Sponsored