JK wheels on a JT?

Mkay

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave, 2001 Wrangler
So, I've got a sport on order but I'm pretty sure the tires are going to be the first upgrade.

Now I've got a few options but the one that I think I like the most is using a set of 2014 Rubicon takeoffs that came off my current Wrangler with new rubber.. reuse something that the wife has been nagging about taking up garage space.

I've heard that the gladiator has heavier rims for the increased towing / pay load... But I can't seem to find any hard numbers on this just throw in comments from reviewers who are testing the gladiator for magazines and such.
Has anyone seen hard numbers on tire load ratings for JT vs JL vs JK?

Don't plan on pulling anything close to the max on this thing but I'd still like to know what limitations I might be introducing.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Bump

Im actually curious if this is dooable...I have some rims/tires I kept from my JK and intended to use them on the JT

OP
OP
Mkay

Mkay

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump

Im actually curious if this is dooable...I have some rims/tires I kept from my JK and intended to use them on the JT
So after posting this I did come across this on the forums somewhere. So it's definitely possible.

upload_2019-6-13_17-48-30.png

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I'll be very interested in any more info about JK 16 inch wheel compatibility - I am hoping to order my JT in the reasonably near future, and am now leaning towards the Overland, with the one hesitation that the tires that come on the Overland look like they'll be marginal at best in unplowed snow, which I have to drive through on a regular basis in winter.

With some past vehicles, I've just gotten a second set of 'winter wheels' to mount snow tires on, instead of peeling tires on and off 2x/year

Unused JK 16" steel rims seem available and affordable and open up the option of the "classic commercial truck size" 235/85R16, for which there is a good selection of quality. moderately priced, snow tires. I find the tall/skinny 'pizza cutter' 235/85s do well in unplowed snow, as they concentrate the weight and bite in, instead of floating/ polishing/ spinning.

so.... any more info confirming or ruling out the ability to fit 16" JK rims on a JT will be of major interest to me

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Did anyone confirm that the wheels for a JT are different than a JL or a JK it comes to towing?

I’m looking for rubicon take offs but might be easier to find them in the JL forum but I don’t want to mess up the max tow package on my sport s that much.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have not found any evidence stamped on the wheel that it is a heavier duty load capacity wheel. Maybe it is but I haven't found it.

JK wheels will work, you'll just need to reuse JT lug nuts.

16" wheels won't work. 17s just barely clear the calipers. The brakes on these trucks are huge.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Disappointed but not entirely surprised that 16" wheels won't clear the brakes - better to find out now before spending more time or effort on it.

OP
OP
Mkay

Mkay

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just for reference I'll post a picture of my 2020 gladiator with 2014 Rubicon rims running 255 80 r17 nitto ridge grapplers.

IMG_20190810_122843.jpg

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Mkay -- those Rubicon takeoffs look terrific on this!!!

Dave S

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Sales Manager
So I am a manager at a jeep dealer. During the Gladiator training they said they say there will be issues as the wrangler is only built to tow 3500.

No further clarification

I can’t seem to find any info either on ratings. I can get a set for 850. I don’t plan on towing over 3500 lbs myself.

I guess the question would be. How are aftermarket rims rated? Since they can fit multiple vehicles do they need to meet higher requirements than the oem who only needs them built for their vehicle

I am probably just going to do it but maybe someone found out more

Sponsored

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dragonfly JTR 6spd
So I am a manager at a jeep dealer. During the Gladiator training they said they say there will be issues as the wrangler is only built to tow 3500.

No further clarification

I can’t seem to find any info either on ratings. I can get a set for 850. I don’t plan on towing over 3500 lbs myself.

I guess the question would be. How are aftermarket rims rated? Since they can fit multiple vehicles do they need to meet higher requirements than the oem who only needs them built for their vehicle

I am probably just going to do it but maybe someone found out more
you have answered your own question, and have reassured me as well.

cbstwo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
MKay, did you have to use spacers with those wheels, if so what size.
Thanks đź‘Ť

cbstwo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
MKay, those are 17x7.5" right? I have a set and that's what they're stamped

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Some things to watch out for on JK wheels.

I don't know when they switched over, but early JK's had 5x4.5 lug pattern.

JK's have a different offset, my Rubi wheels/tires rubbed on the first guy that tried to buy them, he had a JK.

JK's use a smaller wheel stud, I don't know if that will affect bolt up or not.

JK's were the last JEEP wheel that came with an actual advertised load weight per wheel. JL's are reported to carry more weight, but number can't be found. JT's are reported to carry more than JL, but numbers can't be found.

So, before you hand over the money, verify they work in every way possible.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
JK's (except maybe the 2wheel drive ones) were never 5x4.5. TJs were. All factory JK wheels were 17x7.5 with +44.45 offset. If you put a JL rubi wheel/tire on a JK it will rub on the lower control arms at full lock, and gets really close to the swaybar endlinks if you aren't disco'd and you flex it.
Sponsored