Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Wow those g wagons are expensive! And for what? The capabilities and interior do not seem to be worth an extra 100k!

Bing

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado, 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Interesting video, compares 4 runner to a wrangler and g wagon. Not exactly what your looking at but worth a watch.

On getting my next vehicle I was debating between the 2020 4Runner TRD Pro with Safety Sense, 2019/20 Tacoma, and a 2019 Wrangler. The Tacomas and Runners are SOO dated inside the truck/SUV along with the dinosaur transmission & engine. So I started leaning towards the Wrangler since the tech is so up to date and it was a much better drive when compared to the Toyota. But then BOOM, I figured I could wait just a little longer and a Jeep with a pickup bed...can't wait to order my granite crystal gladiator!

It sucks to wait this long but it will be well worth it. I love the dependability of a Toyota but the Jeep is definitely the better choice. Along with a little lift and 35's!

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On getting my next vehicle I was debating between the 2020 4Runner TRD Pro with Safety Sense, 2019/20 Tacoma, and a 2019 Wrangler. The Tacomas and Runners are SOO dated inside the truck/SUV along with the dinosaur transmission & engine. So I started leaning towards the Wrangler since the tech is so up to date and it was a much better drive when compared to the Toyota. But then BOOM, I figured I could wait just a little longer and a Jeep with a pickup bed...can't wait to order my granite crystal gladiator!

It sucks to wait this long but it will be well worth it. I love the dependability of a Toyota but the Jeep is definitely the better choice. Along with a little lift and 35's!
As an owner of a 2016 4Runner, I know exactly what you mean by dated technology and styling. It was dated the minute we bought it. I didn't want it, but my wife loves 4Runners. At least the Tacoma has been updated on the interior and exterior. The 4Runner is a 9 year old design at this point with no change/updates in sight.

Bing

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado, 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
As an owner of a 2016 4Runner, I know exactly what you mean by dated technology and styling. It was dated the minute we bought it. I didn't want it, but my wife loves 4Runners. At least the Tacoma has been updated on the interior and exterior. The 4Runner is a 9 year old design at this point with no change/updates in sight.
They sell every single one they make! It's insane. They look badass. Seems like every family here in Denver has had a 4Runner at one point or currently has a 4Runner. I love the design of them, but I think you do not get your $47-50,000 worth in technology as you do in the Wrangler and Gladiator. I wish they had a better interior, but you're paying for that dependable, rugged, old-school design. They have no need to change anything major since they keep selling like crazy.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
You’re in luck...

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...2/2020-jeep-gladiator-vs-2019-toyota-4runner/

Aside from their distinct personalities and different cargo layouts, what truly separate the Jeep Gladiator and the Toyota 4Runner are the intangibles. The 4Runner, while highly capable, simply drives like the old SUV that it is. The Gladiator, for all of its even more antiquated design foibles, brings a sense of occasion to its use, and that's before you remove its roof and doors. That novelty, combined with a solid execution that improves upon the on-road composure of the newly redesigned JL Wrangler, helped the Gladiator make partial converts out of several drivers previously indifferent to the seven-slot grille. While the Gladiator is far from perfect—and downright expensive if you get happy with the options and accessories—it's the type of fun we'd want to bring along when heading for the hills.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
You’re in luck...

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...2/2020-jeep-gladiator-vs-2019-toyota-4runner/

Aside from their distinct personalities and different cargo layouts, what truly separate the Jeep Gladiator and the Toyota 4Runner are the intangibles. The 4Runner, while highly capable, simply drives like the old SUV that it is. The Gladiator, for all of its even more antiquated design foibles, brings a sense of occasion to its use, and that's before you remove its roof and doors. That novelty, combined with a solid execution that improves upon the on-road composure of the newly redesigned JL Wrangler, helped the Gladiator make partial converts out of several drivers previously indifferent to the seven-slot grille. While the Gladiator is far from perfect—and downright expensive if you get happy with the options and accessories—it's the type of fun we'd want to bring along when heading for the hills.
That was a good read. I was hoping for a bit of off road testing though.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
That was a good read. I was hoping for a bit of off road testing though.
I overland quite a bit in my JKUR. A buddy of mine has a modified 4Runner and he has never had to skip anything the Jeeps have done, including the Maze District of Utah. Articulation is definitely worse on the 4Runner. He'll have a tire in the air more often than the rest of us. But I have been very impressed with his rig, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one for overlanding if it was something I wanted. You'd definitely prefer a Jeep for serious rock crawling, but if you're rock crawling, a Gladiator is a bad choice too due to the breakover angle.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
I have a 2017 4runner, and the only thing the JT has better is towing capacity and the doors off roof off option. Otherwise the 4runner is larger, prob will be more reliable long term, can be purchased with locker, and all the accessories you want to overland, off-road and camp are available aftermarket. The issue with 4runner if it is an issue at all, is the sluggish old engine they refuse to replace.
I have a German Shepherd and a 2yr old and the JT is a tight fit. The 4runner has endless space in comparison. Your wife might be right on this one. If you get a smaller trailer 4runner does the trick at 5000lbs towing.

Honestly if the 4runner towed more I wouldn't own a JT and keep I would have an old Jeep for wheeling hard and jeep fun.
Depending on the trip the 4runner has issue with mountains and is almost at capacity for my trailer if loaded for a long trip. If no mountains and short trip I use 4runner. If had a lighter trailer I'd use 4runner

View attachment 61187

IMG_20190926_094805_287.jpg

IMG_20190929_115942.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. Both vehicles drive just fine for daily use. In the end we ended up with a gladiator Rubicon and are selling our trusted 4runner.
agree that the JT is way better towing vs the 4runner and even the ride is a bit nicer as a daily in the JT.

Sponsored

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
Continuing to monitor this thread. I have a 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner that I love. With a 1 1/2 in lift and KO2's, it goes everywhere I want it to go without a problem. I just need a bed.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
In my mind the 4Runner is the most overpriced, low performing vehicle I can think of.
It literally does nothing well.

It is mediocre in all aspects and it gets horrible fuel mileage.

I cannot believe that Toyota has not been sued yet for selling such a piece of crap vehicle.

We had a TRD Off Road for a year and couldn't wait to get out of it.
Such a huge disappointment.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my mind the 4Runner is the most overpriced, low performing vehicle I can think of.
It literally does nothing well.

It is mediocre in all aspects and it gets horrible fuel mileage.

I cannot believe that Toyota has not been sued yet for selling such a piece of crap vehicle.

We had a TRD Off Road for a year and couldn't wait to get out of it.
Such a huge disappointment.
Wow first I ever heard that from 4runner owner . Seems like world most popular SUV to me.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Exactly!

We were super excited to get ours, had a bunch of plans, etc..was a big let down.

I just couldnt believe it was such a dog and got 14mpg. I wanted to take it back on week 2.

I had a 6.2 Silverado at the time and that was getting 22.

Toyota has really dropped the ball in my opinion.

Wow first I ever heard that from 4runner owner . Seems like world most popular SUV to me.
Sponsored