Saw FIVE in 3 hours!!

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
We have two dealers in Raleigh and the one I purchased from has about 30 + in stock right now. They said there is another LE arriving soon that the original 'owner' backed out from purchasing. I am speaking generally but I believe they have all trims in stock as well. I haven't walked to each one individually to confirm, just too many.
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I still have not seen a single one to date aside from the one I test drove last week. I just parked my butt at the hotel bar in West Virginia on my way up to Ohio from Florida. Guess what? Didnā€™t see a single one over the past 700 miles. Are we sure they arenā€™t dealer show pieces?
Well turns out that once I crossed into Ohio today that is where they all reside. Went from seeing none for months to I saw 6 in a few hundred miles. Two of which were maybe half a mile from each other. They just be proudly supporting Toledo!

Side note, I wish they would offer plant tours. Iā€™ll be in Cleveland for almost a month. Would have been to check out while Iā€™m up here!

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Saw a Silver Gladiator near Madison WI yesterday. There's a sport with a soft top at my local dealer that I keep on forgetting to check out. I'll stop in tonight to finally get a better look at one.

ScuderiaJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500 WRX 2CV Real MINI
I have see 2 out in the wild
S denver metro area
One black Overland hardtop
One white sport s soft top

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
We have two dealers in Raleigh and the one I purchased from has about 30 + in stock right now. They said there is another LE arriving soon that the original 'owner' backed out from purchasing. I am speaking generally but I believe they have all trims in stock as well. I haven't walked to each one individually to confirm, just too many.
Interesting. 30 on a lot is many... Can't wait for the July numbers. If they have thirty sitting there, it's almost like wranglers. Wonder if advertising will start soon... Thanks for the tidbit!

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. 30 on a lot is many... Can't wait for the July numbers. If they have thirty sitting there, it's almost like wranglers. Wonder if advertising will start soon... Thanks for the tidbit!
Yeah, we even drove by our other Jeep dealer here in Raleigh tonight and did a rough count of Gladiators (all trim levels, no LEs) and got to about 20 (+/- 2). These were all stock as well, no dealer installed parts. I, honestly, don't think people know about them (marketing) as every stop I have made since owning this vehicle has resulted in one or many people stopping me and asking "What the hell is that thing?" Although the guy tonight specifically said "Can I ask you what in the name you are driving? When I saw you pull into the parking lot, I just had to walk over and ask. Do you mind if I gawk for a while?" (We were at are local BJ's wholesale club)

Personally, we should all take the time to enjoy these encounters as it will wear off in time....always does :(

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
I've seen 2 in the wild driving. A red test mule in Thornton, early May, with a big "diesel only" sticker by the fuel filler, was a diesel Sport, and a silver lifted and oversize tire Gladiator with roof and doors off cruising West down I-70 at Silverthorn, CO July 10th. All others have been on dealer lots.

bolingde

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor
I think I'm still the only one on the Island (Oak Island, NC). Being a vacation destination I get a lot of tourist asking me questions about it and taking pictures. I haven seen any in the wild except when I took the ferry to Carolina Beach and caught a red one in a driveway.

As a side note, it was funny when I called NC Tolls to get a transponder and the lady said that Gladiator wasn't in the database. I told it it's a Jeep Pickup and she said "That's funny, I just saw one in Carolina Beach Sunday, and thought that looked like a Jeep Pickup". I asked was it red or black because if it was black it was me, but alas, it was the red one.

I"m uploading the the pic we took at the dealer (maybe I'll add another one sometime) in Myrtle Beach (there wasn't a Overland close by in NC at the time).

So if you're in Oak Island in and see me, say Hello!

Jeep Gladiator Saw FIVE in 3 hours!! {filename}

Jeep Gladiator Saw FIVE in 3 hours!! {filename}

Mkcatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
I just donā€™t think these are gonna sell without some kind of incentive, stock is already starting to build up on dealers lots.

This is a very specific vehicle for a very specific person, most will just opt for the cheaper wrangler, itā€™s only 2.5/ft shorter.

Itā€™s like Jeep is competing against itself with the Wrangler and Gladiator, idk maybe this is all just wishful thinking on my part cause I want it a little cheaper.

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just donā€™t think these are gonna sell without some kind of incentive, stock is already starting to build up on dealers lots.

This is a very specific vehicle for a very specific person, most will just opt for the cheaper wrangler, itā€™s only 2.5/ft shorter.

Itā€™s like Jeep is competing against itself with the Wrangler and Gladiator, idk maybe this is all just wishful thinking on my part cause I want it a little cheaper.
For the sake of conversation, what you're describing would be then be analogous to the WK/XK conversation, correct? I had a WK when I purchased my XK (still own). XK's did not draw new buyers into the Jeep segment because there were plenty of other competitors to the XK when it was produced. That is an accurate statement and Jeep released the numbers publicly when they discontinued XK production. So, if we assume you're point about JL's/JT's drawing from the same pool of Jeep owners is accurate, therefore they will need to be discounted to sell, we would have to assume that other competitors to the JT exist, correct? This is where I would then ask "who is the competition today?"

There is not another vehicle that offers the experience/heritage, which I would wager is the main motivating factor in Wrangler/Gladiator purchases.
  • I confidently say the above from practical, professional experience as demonstrated by another company. I worked at John Deere corporate for many years within the software engineering practice. Year after year, for decades upon decades, the number one reason that John Deere sells so well is that their customer base wants Green (literally, the color green) equipment. This in the face of competition that many times offers a superior product.
After the aforementioned, it then becomes a prioritized list that is a little more personal to each customer. Perhaps, off road ability, a truck bed, options offered, being a part of the 'Jeep Family', etc.

Do I think there are Wrangler (JL, specifically) owners who will move to a Gladiator, yes. Is this the primary customer base for a Gladiator, no in my opinion. I think that's why we see/hear about the Ford Bronco and some of it's rumored offerings (removable doors, top, future truck, etc.)

At this point, if I were a dealer, there isn't an incentive to negotiate. The marketing and advertising campaigns haven't even begun yet. Which is also why I would encourage all current owners to bask in the glory of being very unique at the moment because that won't be the case at some point in the future.

Mkcatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
For the sake of conversation, what you're describing would be then be analogous to the WK/XK conversation, correct? I had a WK when I purchased my XK (still own). XK's did not draw new buyers into the Jeep segment because there were plenty of other competitors to the XK when it was produced. That is an accurate statement and Jeep released the numbers publicly when they discontinued XK production. So, if we assume you're point about JL's/JT's drawing from the same pool of Jeep owners is accurate, therefore they will need to be discounted to sell, we would have to assume that other competitors to the JT exist, correct? This is where I would then ask "who is the competition today?"

There is not another vehicle that offers the experience/heritage, which I would wager is the main motivating factor in Wrangler/Gladiator purchases.
  • I confidently say the above from practical, professional experience as demonstrated by another company. I worked at John Deere corporate for many years within the software engineering practice. Year after year, for decades upon decades, the number one reason that John Deere sells so well is that their customer base wants Green (literally, the color green) equipment. This in the face of competition that many times offers a superior product.
After the aforementioned, it then becomes a prioritized list that is a little more personal to each customer. Perhaps, off road ability, a truck bed, options offered, being a part of the 'Jeep Family', etc.

Do I think there are Wrangler (JL, specifically) owners who will move to a Gladiator, yes. Is this the primary customer base for a Gladiator, no in my opinion. I think that's why we see/hear about the Ford Bronco and some of it's rumored offerings (removable doors, top, future truck, etc.)

At this point, if I were a dealer, there isn't an incentive to negotiate. The marketing and advertising campaigns haven't even begun yet. Which is also why I would encourage all current owners to bask in the glory of being very unique at the moment because that won't be the case at some point in the future.

The competition to the JT is the JL, look itā€™s only 2 and a half feet smaller, with no trunk space. Both will be bought it will just be a preference, and I think most will opt for the cheaper JL.

Donā€™t you think the market for the Gladiator is ridiculously small? Midsize pickup buyer that wants a Jeep.

Donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t think Jeep is going to be losing any money on this, I just see a very small market. I think most will be just as happy with the JL.

Last edited:

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Donā€™t you think the market for the Gladiator is ridiculously small? Midsize pickup buyer that wants a Jeep.

Donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t think Jeep is going to be losing any money on this, I just see a very small market. I think most will be just as happy with the JL.
I am not going to pretend I am intimately familiar with the mid size market as a whole. I would hope (confidently say this is a reality) that Jeep did it's due diligence over the last 10-15 years since this was a concept and made an extremely educated decision when deciding to enter this segment. I will share that the sample of other owners who have approached me is represented by the following:

1 = Brand new JL owner said he's kicking himself for not waiting for the Gladiator but he can't afford to sell and buy
3 = Colorado owners who said they will be switching as soon as they can (+1 for my dad, but I did not include him in the aforementioned 3)
3 = Ranger owners who all said they had no clue this 'was a thing' and will, also, be switching as soon as they can
1 = Tesla owner (former Jeep guy) said he had no clue Jeep was building a truck and is giving his Telsa to his wife now

The aforementioned means nothing, I know. Just sharing....

If Gladiator runs for 5 years, at the end of the day, I am ecstatic that I got one of them! The Jeep brand carries FCA and the Wrangler is always going to be the flagship of the brand. I suspect Jeep knows what they're doing with this truck.

It'd be interesting to have the current JL owners chime in. For me, I'd take one of both (JL & JT) as they are different enough that I would use them in different ways. I am sure we'd all take both!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The competition (that Jeep is targeting) is the Tacoma.
Jeep assumes a percentage of Wrangler owners need/want a pickup too, they are hoping they opt for 2 vehicles :like:

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester

Based on this, why does Toyota sell a Tacoma and a 4 Runner. Essentially the same vehicle, one is just a bit shorter.

You have way over simplified this. Go back and look at the specs again. A Wrangler can tow roughly half what a JT can. You can't easily get plywood in a Wrangler. A JT has a crazy break over angle compared to a Wrangler.

Do they overlap some, sure, but they are really going to appeal to two different markets. Someone like me who needs the capabilities of a pickup would not buy a Wrangler instead. A 50k JL Rubicon would not meet my needs the same as a 55k JT. If 5k is your breaking point then get the JL. But at this price range is 5k really worth beating them up about.
Sponsored