Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

Pazzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
When BMW first came out with SS, the dealer would program it to be off by default, if requested. Later they made that user configurable by turning it off and the car would save that setting when the car was turned off.

That is my only issue with it. Jeep should make this a easily configurable option by the end user and save the setting once I turn if off.
My dealer would not reprogram it either.
Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
And that is for a 2016 model from another manufacturer, this is for a 2020 model made in the USA.
And my Wife’s VW has it and has to be shut off every time. There’s no rhyme or reason.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
All that and from NY too...somebody get a ROPE!
I guess I’m setting myself up here for some ridicule, but I missed the joke on this one. Texas thing?

Also, not a liberal and didn’t vote for Cuomo or Hillary, so there’s that if it makes you feel better.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I guess I’m setting myself up here for some ridicule, but I missed the joke on this one. Texas thing?

Also, not a liberal and didn’t vote for Cuomo or Hillary, so there’s that if it makes you feel better.
It's from a old Pace Picante Sauce commercial.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t like it. A running engine in Houston traffic is a comfort to me and I can easily imagine a failed restart at an inopportune time. The default state should be programmable and let the button on the dash toggle it. The engineer in me cringes at all the extra stress of stop,start on the truck.
Yup I’m in Houston also & with our hot weather i disabled it With JL Tazer so every time it remembers my settings that i like it on & it is deactivated right after starting.

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler

MiMoore85

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 S65 AMG
I've had mine for about a month (albeit only 500 miles), but I don't hate it as much as I expected I would. It does its thing and it's noticeable, but I think I'll live with it.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Listen up.

It's harmless? A nuisance?

Dudes, we are talking also about AI. This shit thinks for itself.

We all agree we can't get tech reprogrammed, that problems are avoided by repair shops (see the other thread about the mangass law), the corporation is poised to outgun any individual who complains, eventually the tech is orphaned or abandoned.

Restatement. We are building a system of thinking technology that operates machinery by itself; individuals cannot effect a reprogram, repair techs are habituated to decline repairs, corporations set against acknowledging dangerous outcomes, we leave this thinking tech abandoned by itself, orphaned until nobody even knows what does what.

This shit flies planes, operates farms, determines economic development. On...it's...own...

Why do I dislike ESS? The same reason I avoid the tip of an iceberg.

Give me my 64 and a dirt road.

No offense meant, my 1st because of my 2nd.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
This shit flies planes, operates farms, determines economic development. On...it's...own...

it crashes planes & kills people & i cant believe these technologies are being forced on us under the false vale of safety or saving the planet or any other convenient lie why dont they just admit its all about making money nothing more nothing less

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Listen up.

It's harmless? A nuisance?

Dudes, we are talking also about AI. This shit thinks for itself.

We all agree we can't get tech reprogrammed, that problems are avoided by repair shops (see the other thread about the mangass law), the corporation is poised to outgun any individual who complains, eventually the tech is orphaned or abandoned.

Restatement. We are building a system of thinking technology that operates machinery by itself; individuals cannot effect a reprogram, repair techs are habituated to decline repairs, corporations set against acknowledging dangerous outcomes, we leave this thinking tech abandoned by itself, orphaned until nobody even knows what does what.

Why do I dislike ESS? The same reason I avoid the tip of an iceberg.

Give me my 64 and a dirt road.

No offense meant, my 1st because of my 2nd.
UH HUH, just ask Boening about that 737 and its start-stop feature!

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I just ordered this smartstopstart wiring harness that appears to hold the last start memory on the ESS button. Meaning if it was off when you turned the Jeep off, it stays off when you crank it back up. Looked very simple to install. Cost is $129 including shipping. Yeah, its a high dollar for a wiring harness, but I plan to keep my Gladiator for a very long time. ROI Justification? If I had a $1 for every time I had to put that freakin ESS button, in 129 more times it pays for itself. Worth it to me....

This video explains how to install and the override process.

This is the site I bought from. Make sure to choose Jeep Gladiator 3.6L if you decide to get one.
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

From the JL forum posts, this product seems to be working well for the JL's.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/disable-start-stop-ess-3713737/index16.html

I'll update after I receive and get it installed.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
I would say generally it doesn't make sense and not worth it. If you're going to be sitting in Los Angeles rush hour traffic every day for hours, burning fuel, I think you do gain some fuel economy.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
While I don’t hate ESS like I hate telemarketers, it does bother me. I see where others say it really isn’t noticeable but I can definitely feel the truck shudder when it starts. The delay is not horrible but still more than what gives me comfort. I don’t believe the math works as far as being more environmentally friendly. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen organizations spend a dollar to chase a dime.

I think the bigger BSG can do this much better than applying it to the traditional engine and starter. I can’t blame the automakers too much, I figure they are having to use every trick possible to meet regulations. Maybe they get more points for defaulting this feature to ON.

Now, off to dinner after hitting Start AND ESS Disable.... and may every telemarketer die and burn in Hell by nightfall. :rock:

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I just ordered this smartstopstart wiring harness that appears to hold the last start memory on the ESS button. Meaning if it was off when you turned the Jeep off, it stays off when you crank it back up. Looked very simple to install. Cost is $129 including shipping. Yeah, its a high dollar for a wiring harness, but I plan to keep my Gladiator for a very long time. ROI Justification? If I had a $1 for every time I had to put that freakin ESS button, in 129 more times it pays for itself. Worth it to me....

This is the site I bought from. Make sure to choose Jeep Gladiator 3.6L if you decide to get one.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/disable-start-stop-ess-3713737/index16.html

Update:
ESS module installed and successful. Took like 5 minutes to put in, very easy. No more pushing the “A” button. It remembers from your last drive as described.

You can still turn it on from the button if you want to do so, but I never will. I’ll update again if I have any problems in the future.

50D56F1A-8CBD-496F-AE65-F93C6AB67867.jpeg

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

yes - this product works well. I've had it on a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee for two years. Never once had an issue.
Sponsored