Sponsored

Do we know when the Ecodiesel will be released?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
FCA is under Tremendous pressure to put out a KickAss product now that their competitors each have a small diesel. I like to think they are taking their time to get the engineering right. It’s funny that guys keep popping in to this forum after they went & bought a gas JT, sometimes it almost seems like they want the eco diesel to fail? Our GC 3.0 has been awesome & I ain’t skeered to buy a JT diesel. I can wait until mid-year next year at the latest, but will order as soon as Its available (soon as I figure out Gobi vs Gator).
IDK - definitely some craziness going on.

I'm in between White and Gator. Want to see some Gator in the wild first, think it will be a cool color but will it still be cool in 10 years?
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Any Jeep is cool after XX years. Definitely part of the reason I’m replacing my F-150. The last ICE vehicle I’ll ever own should be a great one IMO

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
The very first mod on my diesel JT will be a DEF delete.

Sign me up....

Not so funny story, a guy I know has a 2017 F350. It's a pretty kick-ass truck. He was in a hurry and mistakenly dumped a bottle of DEF into his fuel tank.
He realized what he did so he called the dealer. They told him not to start it and to have it towed in.

Unfortunately they had to turn the key on to get it in neutral....which then started the pumps.

The dealer had to put in a whole new fuel system.... $13,000!!!! He was able to claim it on his insurance for being a dumbass and he only had to pay $250.

Be careful with the diesel set up Jeep will have the DEF right next to the diesel tank just like the Ford

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
The very first mod on my diesel JT will be a DEF delete.
I'm out of the loop a bit on DEF delete and chips/tuners, etc...What type of shops are able to do these without causing a complete F up of the system?

Also, what type of MPG and performance increase would one expect when doing this?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I'm out of the loop a bit on DEF delete and chips/tuners, etc...What type of shops are able to do these without causing a complete F up of the system?

Also, what type of MPG and performance increase would one expect when doing this?

Well it’s a brand new engine so there’s no way to know because they aren’t even in the wild yet BUT I’m coming from Ford land and the 3.0 they offer has seen 4 mpg increases and as much as 65 hp and 120 ftlbs of torque gained with a delete AND a tune. I’d be looking to disable the EGR and DEF. Im sure I’ll have to travel to Arizona from CA to get it done

Sponsored

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon

The earlier ecodiesel could be flashed to around 550ft/lb and an extra 3-5mpg with just the flash.

As to mileage increases with a delete kit. I don't know that there really are any. Just mileage consistency since your vehicle isn't occasionally dumping diesel down the exhaust to burn off the dpf.

Just deleting def won't resolve this youd have to delete dpf as well.

As for how they delete and not fubar the computer. With the incredible level of programming that can be done on the ECUs now good tuners can do almost anything to these engines and their EVIC.

A good GDE engine and trans tune is literally night and day difference on the ecodiesel ram 1500. I have even read comments that it's emissions (with dpf/scr intact) were better than factory.

If I get a diesel gladiator it won't be until GDE has tunes ready. The only point that engine is gonna run factory stupid settings is the drive home. I'll have a swappable ECU on my workbench ready for when I pull into garage same day as purchase before I buy one.

If they can't also make a rememberable ESS setting I'll have the start stop module on hand for same day install too.

jdgladiator

First Name
Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
So I went to the dealer on 12/30/2019 and the eco diesel gladiator was available. Went back yesterday and it was no longer available, damn. They are check as to why Chry pulled the option. But it was a $5500 upgrade. Should have ordered right away. Anyone else experienced this?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Well it’s a brand new engine so there’s no way to know because they aren’t even in the wild yet BUT I’m coming from Ford land and the 3.0 they offer has seen 4 mpg increases and as much as 65 hp and 120 ftlbs of torque gained with a delete AND a tune. I’d be looking to disable the EGR and DEF. Im sure I’ll have to travel to Arizona from CA to get it done
I'm not sure I understand why you are looking to do a DEF delete. DEF is added downstream from combustion and only serves as a donor to facilitate a chemical reaction. How does allowing your engine to produce and exhaust NOx improve performance? From all of my research I have learned that the consensus is that a DEF system allows the programmers to put the most efficient tune in the engine without regard to emissions the the DEF and SCR take care of the NOx. Where am I off the mark on this?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'm not sure I understand why you are looking to do a DEF delete.
I'm sure most would want the DEF system gone to rid themselves of the need for DEF at all = buying it & lugging ~50 lbs of extra liquid onboard, much less avoid the cost of repairing that system when the injector/sensor(s)/tank level gauge fails.
However, if a diesel engine has had its EGR system bypassed & a different tune installed, how would that effect the DEF system? Is it gonna freak out trying to keep up?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Both EGR and SCR(DEF) are intended to reduce NOx emissions. In an SCR system you can tune the engine for the most power possible and then deal with emissions after combustion. What these higher combustion temperatures do is reduce particulate matter and soot through a more complete combustion process. EGR, on the other hand, deprives the combustion process of O2 lowering the high combustion temperatures that result in NOx. The problem with that is that EGR creates a much dirtier combustion resulting in more particulate matter and more work for the DPF. DEF is a passive system that didn't really have any negative effect on my life. I had a 2011 F550 with the 6.7 and the emission control system worked in the background without much input. The SCR process is a very efficient reaction so 5 gallons or so of the DEF will last thousands of miles. There are always risks of sensors, pumps and etc going bad but there are hundreds of sensors, pumps and etc on every single engine produced today. Adding a few more will not increase the likelihood of a higher frequency of issues.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I will add that I also had an F350 with the 6.4 and the emission system was nothing but trouble. International, who supplied Ford with all diesel engines until the 6.7 Powerstroke, elected to reduce NOx via massive EGR. We all know the horror stories about how often it went into DPF regen and how quickly the DPF would become overly restrictive and require intervention and, for the most part, they are all true. Since most of the industry has swapped over to SCR in conjunction with mild EGR and DPF the emission systems have performed quite well. There will always be problems in any high tech and complicated chemistry experiment but, in my opinion, the engineers have figured it out quite well and I won't be messing with it. Not to mention that it is against the law to operate a deleted vehicle on public roads. I'm not 100% boy scout but I do have 4 kids that I try to lead by example to respect others and the laws of our society.

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
My wife's Mazda cx7 has AdBlue. We've filled it twice in 60000km, holds about 15 litres. No big deal at all.
My Isuzu dmax has a dpf filter. But instead of waiting for a sensor to tell the computer to do a burn when the dpf is getting clogged, the Isuzu does it every 500km whether it needs it on not. I believe this is a much better system.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
ok, ok, DPF, EGR, DEF, power, delete, emissions, torque, etc, etc etc, pay-for-itself, waste-of-money, complain, argue, yadda yadda yadda,

BUT, and I can't stress this enough, DO WE KNOW WHEN THE ECODIESEL WILL BE RELEASED???

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
This was answered in post #2 & 3...

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
This was answered in post #2 & 3...
Well, that was a year ago. Was hoping for a little tighter window than 'calendar year 2020.'
Sponsored