Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The "new" engine uses the same bottom end, but a "new" top end which is NOT proven yet and has features that have been problematic for other automakers, such as low friction cylinder wall coating, lightweight pistons using new alloys, dual EGR system, etc.

So, there is zero reason to believe that the "new" engine will be more reliable than the old one AND they still have not confirmed that the cam sprocket issue or the CP4 injection pump issue has been addressed.

I wouldn't touch one of these engines with a ten foot pole unless you've got 1) deep pockets or 2) a very good extended warranty.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As a 98-01 XJ owner i am quite skeptical of Chrysler redesigning heads
I feel your pain. Had a '01 WJ 4.0L with the cracked head between #2 and #3. I threw so much money at that engine it was ridiculous. Never could get it to run right. Kept throwing engine codes and going to limp mode. Had the valves machined and reseated, changed plugs, cam sensor, crank sensor, coil rail, and a ton of other things. It never ran right again. I finally got sick of it and sold it.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Also don't get one because diesel exhaust is terrible for you and the environment. Like really terrible.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The Cummins engine is not emissions certified to new standards. You cannot put that engine in a newer model vehicle for road use. I have done a lot of research on that engine and over and over the Cummins reps have said that it meets emission standard in place on the date of Jeep production and not more modern rules. To adapt this engine to today's diesel standards would probably need a clean sheet build.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
This is an excerpt from the R2.8 page linked above.
The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel (PN 5467046) crate package is not CARB-approved at this time.

Due to state/provincial law restrictions, these engines are not currently available for purchase in the state of Texas, state of West Virginia or the province of Quebec. Warranty service with respect to the engines and loose components will not be available in the states of Texas and West Virginia.
The Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel has demonstrated (in a representative vehicle with a manual transmission) through the testing procedures prescribed in 40 CFR Part 86 to meet EPA’s Tier 1 LDT2, LDT3, and LDT4 end of useful life emissions standards. The same vehicle also demonstrates Tier 0 LDT1/LDV end of useful life emissions standards. This means that the R2.8 generally is suitable for Model Year 1999 or earlier light duty trucks and Model Year 1993 or earlier passenger cars. However, the suitability of the R2.8 engine to any vehicle is the responsibility of the installer and may depend on state or area laws. Installation of this part in a vehicle or application for which it is not intended may violate U.S. and Canadian laws and regulations related to motor vehicle emissions and will void the applicable engine warranty. Check your state and local emissions requirements before purchasing.

Edited to add that the Cummins 5.0 has had its share of emissions related issues. When the new diesel standard cam out for the 2008 model year all manufacturers had a hard time making the standard. Can anyone say 6.4 Powerstroke? The cummins and Duramax had the same issues but as a byproduct of Fords success on the sales floor there were a whole lot of very bad engines on the road so they got the most attention. Ford got it right with the 6.7 and GM and Cummins have solved the problem also but it takes a few generations to get the right combination.

And I have heard that the Cummins in the Titan gets miserable fuel mileage compared to comparable trucks.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Cummins engine is not emissions certified to new standards. You cannot put that engine in a newer model vehicle for road use. I have done a lot of research on that engine and over and over the Cummins reps have said that it meets emission standard in place on the date of Jeep production and not more modern rules. To adapt this engine to today's diesel standards would probably need a clean sheet build.
Unless an engine is sold by the manufacturer, the year of the vehicle's manufacture, it can be difficult to impossible to pass emissions. Truly depends on where you live. For many, it is the emissions that prevent folks from registering their expensive swaps, or forces them to register out of state...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And you can't find fuel anywhere.
There had been times I spent 30+ minutes hoping to find diesel fuel but not nearly as bad as "range anxiety" in our Fiat 500E, cuz when it runs out, its out!

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
For the amount of money an "upgraded" diesel engine costs, I'm trying to find the benefits that everyone is so patiently waiting for?

You can't tow more (Not just an engine issue, but a mid-sized pickup issue), the gas is more expensive (used to be a benefit that it was cheaper, but now you pay more to get more MPG so that's a wash), the emissions is an issue, and in my experience when something goes wrong, it tends to be a more expensive fix.

Just do your upgrades if you want more torque.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The "new" engine uses the same bottom end, but a "new" top end which is NOT proven yet and has features that have been problematic for other automakers, such as low friction cylinder wall coating, lightweight pistons using new alloys, dual EGR system, etc.

So, there is zero reason to believe that the "new" engine will be more reliable than the old one AND they still have not confirmed that the cam sprocket issue or the CP4 injection pump issue has been addressed.

I wouldn't touch one of these engines with a ten foot pole unless you've got 1) deep pockets or 2) a very good extended warranty.
ahhhh weax dude you are being a negative nancy...... :)

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Also don't get one because diesel exhaust is terrible for you and the environment. Like really terrible.
My 2015 Ram 1500 diesel has no sign of soot inside the tailpipe, and if you stand downwind of the exhaust at idle, all you smell is a faint whiff of something that smells like fresh-baking Italian bread. Totally different from old school diesels. That said, I don't want to keep my 3.0 Ecodiesel for extended time or high mileage, the financial stakes if/when something goes wrong are just too high.
Sponsored