Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Is anyone here familiar with Turo.com? I haven't looked for a Gladiator really yet, but am curious if anyone is renting theirs out a little each month to pay for upgrades, or have you with other cars? It seems like a great way to get a more extended drive of a Gladiator, or a way to offset your car payment. I feel like this is a vehicle which can command a premium (at least in the near term) if you're willing to let someone else put miles on your baby. I'm on the fence.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
That is like renting out your toothbrush. I'll pass.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
No way in Hell would I rent out my Gladiator, it hurts my heart to let my wife drive it or let my kids sit in it. They love the Gladiator but hate that I will not let them eat in it. I take very good care of my stuff and I know that no renter would ever take care of it like I do. I bought a truck that I can afford to own drive and do my modest mods so I do not need the "income" from renting. I would have to see how much it rents for before I would even agree that it is income. Yes you may get money to make your payment but how will the extra miles affect your value? Jeep have traditionally held their value quite well but I think that bubble is about to pop. Jeep has incentives on the JLs and there are still a whole lot of 2018 JLs on lots around Nashville. As new car sales prices get cheaper used care sales prices will adjust accordingly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I take very good care of my stuff and I know that no renter would ever take care of it like I do.... I would have to see how much it rents for before I would even agree that it is income.
These are the big bullet points for me. The expression "drive it like a rental" is only slightly less frightening than "drive it like its stolen." There needs to be a good way to vet who will be driving the vehicle. The other is the cost... $200 a day? I'd consider the rental with conditions about how it's driven and how much.

I know there are lots of people making good money renting out expensive or desirable cars and making bank, so really this thread is to see if there are ANY Turo people in the Gladiator community.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
These are the big bullet points for me. The expression "drive it like a rental" is only slightly less frightening than "drive it like its stolen." There needs to be a good way to vet who will be driving the vehicle. The other is the cost... $200 a day? I'd consider the rental with conditions about how it's driven and how much.

I know there are lots of people making good money renting out expensive or desirable cars and making bank, so really this thread is to see if there are ANY Turo people in the Gladiator community.
The thing that makes me the most nervous is that it's a pickup. If someone's renting it, its not for the same reason they'd be renting a sports car. It's to load crap and drive it somewhere. I've seen Home Depot pickup trucks (or whatever is left of them after a few rentals), so I'm out when I get mine.

I've gone as far as Uber'ing in my Audi here and there(premium pricing, and I am still way under in mileage) and even that was tough to bear, but at least I was the one driving (I did however make a pretty penny toward my JT down payment)

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Just ordered my Gladiator yesterday. I'm actually about to sign up for Turo not to rent out my Gladiator, but my prius in hopes that it'll pay off both car payments. All hell would break loose before I let anyone drive my truck. Renters can beat the hell out of my prius for all I care as long as it makes me money.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The thing that makes me the most nervous is that it's a pickup. If someone's renting it, its not for the same reason they'd be renting a sports car. It's to load crap and drive it somewhere. I've seen Home Depot pickup trucks (or whatever is left of them after a few rentals), so I'm out when I get mine.

I've gone as far as Uber'ing in my Audi here and there(premium pricing, and I am still way under in mileage) and even that was tough to bear, but at least I was the one driving (I did however make a pretty penny toward my JT down payment)
Yah, I would want to rent a Jeep to go camping or offroad... but I wouldn't let someone take MY Jeep offroad if they rented it. I would rent a truck to haul things to the junkyard, but I wouldn't want someone driving my baby into a trash heap. I would rent a convertible to drive around the mountains on a short family vacation... I might let someone do that with my truck.

I think if you have a sharp-looking Rubicon (especially an LE) you could easily rent it to people curious about that type of vehicle, and maybe for a premium. I like the idea of having several small side-hustles that bring in little bits of money without much risk to my savings, renting a Gladiator, at least for the next year or two, is a super-easy way to make some money on the side. But yah, the miles and losing my ability to claim to have driven 99% of the miles on my vehicle would both make it hard.

Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Is anyone here familiar with Turo.com? I haven't looked for a Gladiator really yet, but am curious if anyone is renting theirs out a little each month to pay for upgrades, or have you with other cars? It seems like a great way to get a more extended drive of a Gladiator, or a way to offset your car payment. I feel like this is a vehicle which can command a premium (at least in the near term) if you're willing to let someone else put miles on your baby. I'm on the fence.
I think it's a great idea. I'll be the first one to rent it from you to show you how well it work out. Care to guess where I'm going to "try" to take it first?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I just went to Turo and they have a link to a USA Today article boasting that you can earn $600 a month. That ain’t bank. If you need $600/month to pay for your Gladiator maybe you need to wait a little longer before you buy one.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I just went to Turo and they have a link to a USA Today article boasting that you can earn $600 a month. That ain’t bank. If you need $600/month to pay for your Gladiator maybe you need to wait a little longer before you buy one.
Hah, yah that is an unreasonable sum. I wouldn't let someone drive this for mine for less than $200 a day and I'd only be interested in a couple of days a month anyway. That being said, I went the other direction to look at Turo owner experiences and the number of people with damaged or totaled cars is too damn high. I think it would only be a decent option with older cars, definitely not a brand new car.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
My neighbor rented a Sport or Sport S from Turo. Great way for the family to see if they wanted one by having it for the weekend.

I could never rent any of my vehicles. The points were already made. I take way too much care of my stuff to let someone I don't know drive it.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
The only time I let someone else drive my vehicles is if I can’t do it myself, usually this means is early am and I need to get from downtown to home.
Sponsored