Funny thing happened.

Kelroundell

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (white) 2012 Buick Enclave
About 3 1-2 weeks ago I bought a white Overland from the dealership by the window sticker. Paid in full. Well, I was worried it would be a long time before it got here. My sister-in-law is in insurance and she’s seen people wait months. So, I called my salesman and asked if I could cancel and buy the white Rubicon on the lot. He said he’d make it happen. That was a week ago. I was waiting for tint, rustproofing, sidesteps and bedliner. Well, I picked it up today. What was funny was the Overland I cancelled came in today, lol. I checked it out. The interior is all black leather. Dash, doors, seats. Narrower tires, bigger rims, hood not as cool. Front bumper is not as nice. I’m so happy I cancelled the Overland. No offense to those who have one. It was interesting to see them side by side. The Rubicon hood is so cool and although I like leather a lot,?I found it not so Jeepy. Lol. I like the plain dash and personally the black fenders on my Rubicon. It just looks more like a Jeep. Of course, different purposes. Very happy. The salesman thru in the tinting and bedliner. Awesome customer service. I wasn’t once asked for my phone number. No pressure at all. It was totally stress free and when you’re spending that kind of money, you certainly don’t need more stress. So happy!
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
About 3 1-2 weeks ago I bought a white Overland from the dealership by the window sticker. Paid in full. Well, I was worried it would be a long time before it got here. My sister-in-law is in insurance and she’s seen people wait months. So, I called my salesman and asked if I could cancel and buy the white Rubicon on the lot. He said he’d make it happen. That was a week ago. I was waiting for tint, rustproofing, sidesteps and bedliner. Well, I picked it up today. What was funny was the Overland I cancelled came in today, lol. I checked it out. The interior is all black leather. Dash, doors, seats. Narrower tires, bigger rims, hood not as cool. Front bumper is not as nice. I’m so happy I cancelled the Overland. No offense to those who have one. It was interesting to see them side by side. The Rubicon hood is so cool and although I like leather a lot,?I found it not so Jeepy. Lol. I like the plain dash and personally the black fenders on my Rubicon. It just looks more like a Jeep. Of course, different purposes. Very happy. The salesman thru in the tinting and bedliner. Awesome customer service. I wasn’t once asked for my phone number. No pressure at all. It was totally stress free and when you’re spending that kind of money, you certainly don’t need more stress. So happy!
Stoked your happy!

The items you listed are all cosmetic things and are easily changed. What your really got was 4:10 gears over 3:75, true locking axles, a sway bar disconnect, and less MPG because of the extra weight. I still think its a good choice, but if its the hood, fenders, and interior you liked, easy to change those out.

OP
OP
Kelroundell

Kelroundell

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stoked your happy!

The items you listed are all cosmetic things and are easily changed. What your really got was 4:10 gears over 3:75, true locking axles, a sway bar disconnect, and less MPG because of the extra weight. I still think its a good choice, but if its the hood, fenders, and interior you liked, easy to change those out.
I also like the smaller rims/larger tires. Easy for most people to change things out, lol. I’m not off road savvy. I understand the things you’ve mentioned but I don’t want to buy a Jeep and pay for things only to change them out. Yes, most of you enjoy swapping things out, making it your own. I totally agree but I don’t have the money to be doing that. I also wanted the better resale value. I do have a couple friends who are into off-roading so I like the idea of having something that is capable while I learn. Why doesn’t everyone just buy a Sport then and change things out? Why buy the Rubicon at all? Most people would buy the Rubicon if they have the money over buying an Overland. The Overland is luxury and intended more for city driving but also capable of off-roading. I just find it more to my liking to not have a leather dash and doors. Im certainly not going to be changing them out.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I also like the smaller rims/larger tires. Easy for most people to change things out, lol. I’m not off road savvy. I understand the things you’ve mentioned but I don’t want to buy a Jeep and pay for things only to change them out. Yes, most of you enjoy swapping things out, making it your own. I totally agree but I don’t have the money to be doing that. I also wanted the better resale value. I do have a couple friends who are into off-roading so I like the idea of having something that is capable while I learn. Why doesn’t everyone just buy a Sport then and change things out? Why buy the Rubicon at all? Most people would buy the Rubicon if they have the money over buying an Overland. The Overland is luxury and intended more for city driving but also capable of off-roading. I just find it more to my liking to not have a leather dash and doors. Im certainly not going to be changing them out.
You are right buying a Rubicon straight out is by far the easy way, but to answer some of your questions there are tons of people who buy sports and buy Rubicon take offs because it saves them money. The things you mentioned tires, wheels, suspension, fenders, with the exception of the hood are easy to buy for cheaper than OEM. In case of trading an overland dash for a rubicon I would say you could make money as the leather one would be worth more. The things that are harder to acquire or change about the Rubicon are axles/gear ratios, lockers, and electronic sway bar disconnect.

OP
OP
Kelroundell

Kelroundell

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are right buying a Rubicon straight out is by far the easy way, but to answer some of your questions there are tons of people who buy sports and buy Rubicon take offs because it saves them money. The things you mentioned tires, wheels, suspension, fenders, with the exception of the hood are easy to buy for cheaper than OEM. In case of trading an overland dash for a rubicon I would say you could make money as the leather one would be worth more. The things that are harder to acquire or change about the Rubicon are axles/gear ratios, lockers, and electronic sway bar disconnect.
Oh I totally understand what your saying. I did think it would be more expensive changing everything out. So, thanks for the info. But right there you can see I’m not mechanically inclined. So, it’s easier for someone like me, lacking the knowledge, to just buy the Rubicon. I also know the Rubicon can be modified as well.
I do know however that I’d make more money selling a Rubicon over an Overland with the leather dash.
I have to say, I enjoy learning from you guys. It must be so much fun to understand so much to be able to upgrade your Jeeps! I’m learning so much although I do have to take many of your posts and google them to understand what you’re doing to them. I enjoy being corrected, believe it or not. That’s how you learn. Thanks!

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Overland because of the 'Luxury' aspect. I like to get out and away on occasion, but most of my driving is City/Highway. It drives very well and I like the tires it came with. I've already topped 1000 miles, with 800 of it being a work trip to Fresno last weekend. I'm getting a little older, and I like the smaller size (and lower price) of the Gladiator. This replaced my 2006 Silverado Crew Cab (a new one would have been about $90K). I bought it off the lot, instead of ordering and waiting. The only things I didn't get, that I wanted, were the body color hardtop and a block heater.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I bought the Overland because of the 'Luxury' aspect. I like to get out and away on occasion, but most of my driving is City/Highway. It drives very well and I like the tires it came with. I've already topped 1000 miles, with 800 of it being a work trip to Fresno last weekend. I'm getting a little older, and I like the smaller size (and lower price) of the Gladiator. This replaced my 2006 Silverado Crew Cab (a new one would have been about $90K). I bought it off the lot, instead of ordering and waiting. The only things I didn't get, that I wanted, were the body color hardtop and a block heater.
I'm coming from an Audi Q5, so I get this thought process of sticking to Luxury, considering I too will mostly be driving city/highway. It will be a big change for me, but I went for the Rubi for the same reason stated above. It's harder to change axles/ratios, lockers, etc. I'll be adding the leather dash if I can (Probably just go custom saddle to match the seats down the line). I'm not in a hurry to rip apart my Rubi when I get it, but I realize resale will be important eventually, so I have short term and long term upgrades.

That, and where the heck did you find a Silverado crew cab for 90k? that seems beyond excessive.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Oh I totally understand what your saying. I did think it would be more expensive changing everything out. So, thanks for the info. But right there you can see I’m not mechanically inclined. So, it’s easier for someone like me, lacking the knowledge, to just buy the Rubicon. I also know the Rubicon can be modified as well.
I do know however that I’d make more money selling a Rubicon over an Overland with the leather dash.
I have to say, I enjoy learning from you guys. It must be so much fun to understand so much to be able to upgrade your Jeeps! I’m learning so much although I do have to take many of your posts and google them to understand what you’re doing to them. I enjoy being corrected, believe it or not. That’s how you learn. Thanks!
That's awesome that you have finally what you wanted in the Gladiator and are happy. You have a pretty good disposition too - we all learn from each other in this forum and one thing I have to say is that you really don't have to be intimidated with any change/upgrade on most vehicles esp a Jeep (not a whole lot of electronics that goes into it compared to some other say high end sports cars etc) because there are plenty of forum members and YouTube videos that explain things a layman can understand. I am not a mechanic but am an Engineer and I understand how things work so it is not a leap for me to fix something especially these days since there is so much amount of help and if you are patient, willing to put in the time and effort you can do it!

Enjoy your Jeep and happy trails!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming from an Audi Q5, so I get this thought process of sticking to Luxury, considering I too will mostly be driving city/highway. It will be a big change for me, but I went for the Rubi for the same reason stated above. It's harder to change axles/ratios, lockers, etc. I'll be adding the leather dash if I can (Probably just go custom saddle to match the seats down the line). I'm not in a hurry to rip apart my Rubi when I get it, but I realize resale will be important eventually, so I have short term and long term upgrades.

That, and where the heck did you find a Silverado crew cab for 90k? that seems beyond excessive.
My 2006 Silverado was a 2500HD (3/4 ton) with a crew cab, 8 foot bed, Duramax Diesel, and Allison Transmission. I paid around $45k for it in January 2006. The new truck configuration tool on the Chevy site quoted me around $90k for an equivalent replacement. I also felt it was excessive, but that was part of the justification for going with the Gladiator. :)

Phineus1941

First Name
Carmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
good choice, glad you are happy with your decision, now you need to change your profile to say Rubicon instead of Overland :)

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
My 2006 Silverado was a 2500HD (3/4 ton) with a crew cab, 8 foot bed, Duramax Diesel, and Allison Transmission. I paid around $45k for it in January 2006. The new truck configuration tool on the Chevy site quoted me around $90k for an equivalent replacement. I also felt it was excessive, but that was part of the justification for going with the Gladiator. :)
Dear god that’s expensive for a pickup. Did it cook you breakfast and massage your feet?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
All of the important stuff, basically. The tires/wheels/fenders are basically cosmetics and the suspension isn't different other than the shocks. The lockers, sway disconnect and armor are what make a rubicon a rubicon. It boils down to whether you're after looks or function. If the latter, get the Rubi, if the former don't, you'll be wasting your money.

I wonder how many rubis have never had their lockers engaged or sway bar disconnected?

Jonny55

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R

Up here in Canada, the further you get from OEM, the greater your resale value gets torched...the couple K you think you're saving translates to 20-40% potential value lost at trade-in or resale. The math has been done on this sport or overland to Rubicon "conversion" many times on these forums, the labour needs to be a factor, it's a wash...Better to just wait til you can afford the Rubi all day long!

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Glad you got what you wanted.

The Rubicon package is only like $3k more than the Overland and you cannot put the Rubicon stuff on it for anything close to that.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone that is saying you its cheaper to buy a Rubi than build one. I DON'T disagree. All I am saying is the features that the OP wanted are cheap and easy to add to a sport or overland. The OP made no mention of the lockers, sway bar disconnect, extra skid plates. Just wheels, dash, seats, suspension, and hood. All I am saying is out of that list the only one that presents an issue is the hood.
Sponsored