Sponsored

First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs)

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I really liked the remote brake controller they used in the vid. I haven't seen one of those before. AFAIK the factory controller works the same as a prodigy, but the install is obviously cleaner. I agree with not drilling holes if you don't have to.

I did not get in the test, why the cobbled together parts from 2 different weight distribution hitches. The carriers on the trailer were from an Equal-i-zer, whereas the hitch head and bars were either a Reese or a Curt. To me that seemed amateurish.

As far as which trim package, I would think the Sport Max Tow would have given similar results--it has the same Engine, transmission, axle and tire size as the Rubi.

Overall I thought it was a good review, and they did a good job!
Sponsored

WillysRubicon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JUL Rubicon
What size trailer is this? And does it have trailer brakes?

I have a 1961 Willys CJ5 that I want to tow a couple hours here and there for some scenic rides, and want to get a similar trailer built. Interested in what your experience towing your SXS is.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

As far as which trim package, I would think the Sport Max Tow would have given similar results--it has the same Engine, transmission, axle and tire size as the Rubi.

Overall I thought it was a good review, and they did a good job!
I thought the sport tires were 31” not 33’s,like the Rubicon

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Correct smlobx. Tires are different sizes, Sport S Max Tow has 245 75 17 ATs, and Rubi has 285 70 17 AT or MT

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For clarification - when I posted the payload and towing specs for my Silverado 1500 I didn't mention that it is an LTZ version with the Z71 suspension package. THAT is why the towing and payload specs are so high. It's no ordinary Silverado.

Silverado LTZ with Z71 suspension package - 9600 pound trailer max (5,000 without weight distributing hitch)
Gladiator Sport S - Up to 7,650 pounds of towing
I'd never even think of trying to tow 9600 pounds with my Chevy - I tax it on the hills in eastern Iowa on I 80 as it is with only 5400-5500 pounds! Adding another two tons to that? ugh, I could never keep the speed limit up on our hills.

Silverado LTZ with Z71 suspension - payload - 1788 pounds
Gladiator Sport S - Up to 1,700 pounds maximum payload - that's only 88 pounds less than a Silverado with the towing and special packages.
Silverado GVWR 7,000

So if I had the Chevy half ton (Silverado 1500) without the Z71 package - I wonder how the two would compare?
To beat out the mid-sized Jeep truck, a half ton full sized Chevy has to have the additional packages.

Real world experience with my Chevy - towing my car hauler, I feel good to get 11.5 mpg or so on the hills in eastern Iowa and have done as well as about 13.5 towing in other flatter states but that's it. So if I can achieve 12 mpg towing with the Jeep, I'd be ok - although the tank capacity does actually disappoint me a bit - the Chevy is 26 gallons meaning I can cross a lot of ground with it and not pay the crazy gas prices around Chicago when just passing through Illinois - I can buy gas before leaving Iowa and miss the high IL gas prices when heading to Indiana.
That's the part that I figured would impact me quite a bit - the smaller tank - but then it's a smaller vehicle, classified as a mid-sized truck. It's not a semi tractor with huge dual tanks. Guess when towing I could strap on a 5 gallon can of gas and have my 26 gallons that way.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Traded trailers last week. My PJ weighed 2350 empty. My new Aluma weighs 1500. I dropped 850 pounds on trailer alone. Should be fine?

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Just did a trip from Austin to multiple places in NM and CO. Went over so many over 10K passes that I lost count. Did Eisenhower, Leadville and Cottonwood passes in just 2 hours.
Head wind both ways . Over 2K miles. Took it off road on Alpine loop and Carson city (did excellent, Tacoma tore off their footsteps on both sides). Towed around 5K pound toy hauler the whole 12 day trip.

Did burn up alot of my oil life meter. Changed the oil right before the trip.

Max tow with Rubicon lift, wheels, tires.
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200628_143142
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200628_095311
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200701_174244
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200626_201834
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200625_182432
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200625_182210
Jeep Gladiator First Real World Gladiator Towing Impressions & Results (7000 lbs) 20200625_181756

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Just did a trip from Austin to multiple places in NM and CO. Went over so many over 10K passes that I lost count. Did Eisenhower, Leadville and Cottonwood passes in just 2 hours.
Head wind both ways . Over 2K miles. Took it off road on Alpine loop and Carson city (did excellent, Tacoma tore off their footsteps on both sides). Towed around 5K pound toy hauler the whole 12 day trip.

Did burn up alot of my oil life meter. Changed the oil right before the trip.

Max tow with Rubicon lift, wheels, tires.
Did you wait until after the break in to begin towing?