Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Hey all,

Riley here. I couldn't find any information on separating the two-piece fenders on the Sport S w/ Max Tow package, so I decided to do it myself. Below, you'll find a step-by-step write up with pictures to guide you through the process yourself.

I'll be doing a similar process for the front fenders using American Adventures Lab's kit.

Step One: Remove the Inner Fender Liner

Looking into the wheel well, you will see three bolts.
Jeep Gladiator Rear Fender "Chop" {filename}

Using a ratchet or socket screwdriver with an 8mm socket, remove all three.

Next, locate the push pin retainers. There will be five of them located around the interior of the fender liner. Remove them using a trim removal tool.

When you have the retaining pins out, find the nine retaining clips and, using a pin, small screwdriver, or another appropriately-sized tool, push in the center of each one.

Once you have pushed the center of each clip in, remove them using a trim remover tool.

You can now pull the inner fender liner free and remove it.

Step Two: Remove the Fender

With the fender liner removed, you will be able to see the white retaining clips that are securing the fender to the body of the vehicle. They look like this:

For this step, you will need some needle nose pliers and your trim remover tool. You will have to use them in unison (this can get frustrating due to the cramped space). Pinch the back of the clip with the pliers while simultaneously pulling it out with your trim removal tool.

You may find that one clip is impossible to reach with your pliers. If you manage to get it off, that's great. If not, simply slide the fender off that particular clip and attempt to remove it after the fact. If it breaks, you can replace it with one of the spares you'll have, so it's not the end of the world.

Now, remove the fender from the vehicle.

Step Three: Remove the Braces

You'll notice there are two braces still attached to the fender. You'll have to remove both in order to separate the two parts of the fender. Simply repeat the same process used for the other retaining clips with push-button centers.

Step Four: Separate the Fender Pieces

Now comes the fun and slightly terrifying part -- separating the two fender pieces. The pieces are held together by plastic welds and secured by little tabs.

Unfortunately, there's no way around this but to forcefully rip the two pieces apart. Try not to flex the outer piece too much, especially if you have painted fenders. If the tabs begin to tear -- and chances are they will -- just make sure the tears do not affect the fender itself. The end result will look like this:

Step Five: Replacing the Fender and Cutting the Tabs

I combined these two steps in my own process, but you may be better off cutting the tabs off before putting the fender back in place. Either way, you'll want to carefully trim the tabs off with a Dremel or razor blade, then simply snap the retaining clips back into their original holes.

Step Six: Bask in Your Accomplishment

That's it; you're done! You'll notice I didn't include a step to reattach the inner fender liner. That's because I didn't (yet). If I do end up putting it back in and trimming it, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Here are the final results:

And here are the approximate before and after measurements from the top of the tire:

Inner fender before and after

Exterior before and after

As you can see, separating the fenders on a Sport S w/ Max Tow package nets you approximately 2.5" of additional clearance in the wheel well and raises the fender about 2.75" on the exterior.

If you have any questions about this write-up or the process itself, feel free to ask! Also, make sure to follow my build through any outlet that works for you:

Instagram: @smokymountainoverland
Build Thread: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/smoky-mountain-overland-build.18410/

Best,
Riley
Sponsored

MPFit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500
I’m really digging this- do you happen to
Have a before and after look other than the measurements?

OP
OP
smoverland

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
I’m really digging this- do you happen to
Have a before and after look other than the measurements?
I'm glad!
It looks like some of the images I uploaded are missing. You can see all of them here: https://smoverland.com/blog/rearfenderchop.
The best "before" picture I can find right now is the one attached! Just imagine the inner fender is hiding the silver in the wheel well.

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
I'm glad!
It looks like some of the images I uploaded are missing. You can see all of them here: https://smoverland.com/blog/rearfenderchop.
The best "before" picture I can find right now is the one attached! Just imagine the inner fender is hiding the silver in the wheel well.

How are they holding up at highway sppeds. Any flapping, noise?

OP
OP
smoverland

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
How are they holding up at highway sppeds. Any flapping, noise?
Recently drove from Florida to Tennessee on the infamous I-75. I noticed a bit of movement in my side mirrors but nothing concerning. No noise, either.

Sponsored

CKUCF

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray Sport S w/ Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Nice work! Have you done the fronts yet? Did the Sahara/Moab kit fit the Sport S?

OP
OP
smoverland

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Nice work! Have you done the fronts yet? Did the Sahara/Moab kit fit the Sport S?
I haven't because I think I'm going to do steel fenders all around, anyway. However, I know of people who have and the American Adventure Labs kit for the Sahara will fit the Sport S w/ Max Tow :like:

CKUCF

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I haven't because I think I'm going to do steel fenders all around, anyway. However, I know of people who have and the American Adventure Labs kit for the Sahara will fit the Sport S w/ Max Tow :like:
Killer! Thank you

Sponsored

CKUCF

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Since this thread has been brought back up, here is a picture of my rear fender “chop.” I trimmed the fender liner, and used a heat gun to reshape it, bending it behind the Inner fender flare. I then used a jigsaw to trim the lower flare. This allows me to run 37s with no additional bump stop spacers, and no rubbing.

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
Since this thread has been brought back up, here is a picture of my rear fender “chop.” I trimmed the fender liner, and used a heat gun to reshape it, bending it behind the Inner fender flare. I then used a jigsaw to trim the lower flare. This allows me to run 37s with no additional bump stop spacers, and no rubbing.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Fender "Chop" B33590CF-DF59-4527-89C8-45A990A8C191
Do you have another thread on your finder trim/chop? looks like something I’ve been wanting to do but can’t make up my mind since I have painted fenders. Don’t want to buy new metal liners yet but want to trim/chop for More room with my 37s
Sponsored