KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
JTScamp2.JPG
Today I hooked up my camper and gave it a pull about ten miles. I bought a mirror extension at Walmart that I don't care for but it worked OK.
My camper is a 16' Scamp fiberglass weighing approximately 2000# empty with a 240# tongue weight. I don't have an electric brake controller yet, I'm planing on ordering the Redarc Tow-Pro but I need to find out how to access the cigarette lighter and mount the control knob there. I have been pulling this with a 2007 then a 2015 Toyota Tacoma since 2013.
I have the max tow package and when backing to hook up I was amazed at the the back-up camera and the graphics to help guide you in. The center line flexes as you steer and the the zoom is great. Well done for FCA on that one. As I pulled down the driveway I could feel the difference in the first gear as compared to the Tacoma. Accelerating was smooth and peppy. The Rear end did not bounce on a bumpy road as my Tacoma did (I had to add spring supports) to prevent the pogo effect.
I am pleasantly pleased with the Gladiator and will add more to this report after camping season.
I hope Rampage will make the mirror extensions available like the ones they make for the JK.
Sponsored

PackerBacker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S w/Max Tow
Thanks for this write-up. This was one of the testimonials that helped me feel better about buying the JT Sport S with Max Towing package as a tow vehicle.
I had some mirrors from Amazon that I bought for my wife’s vehicle and thankfully they strap right on to the Jeep mirrors. Note that this isn’t a 2 pack so you need to buy 2 (about $60 for the pair) if you want both sides. I’m learning that the advice I read of the passenger one being pretty useless is also my experience in my limited towing experience.

Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Trailer Towing Mirror https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AJH1HK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xotlDbP7SQ3VY

OP
OP
KVJ

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Ok, I've driven it over 1000 miles took it camping several times. With the 4:10 rear end and not towing I got 21.3 MPG on the first tank. Towing on flat roads I would get an average of 17-18 MPG. I'm sure that will very as road conditions will change. The Redarc brake controller is fabulous, its the first proportional controller I have used. No sway problems at all.
image.jpg

OP
OP
KVJ

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
This pass weekend I took the camper 142 miles one way from NE Ohio to Columbus for two days of sporting clays. The trip was mostly 4 lane divided highway and about 20% two lane rural roads. Gently rolling hills and an easy drive. I averaged 19.6 MPG and at 60 mph the tack was about 18 or 1900 rpm. My last vehicle was a five speed Tacoma, I would tow in DRIVE (4th gear) and the rpms were around 2300 to go 60 mph. I like the ability to monitor the water temperature, transmission temperature, oil temperature and oil pressure in digital display on the dash. May be nice to know if something were to start acting up. Ride was smooth, stayed 60 MPH on cruise going up or down some long grades. It would shift as needed but didn't seem excessive. Same way coming home. I actually enjoy towing.
I feel I made the right decision to get the Max Tow even though my trailer is light, I said it before, I believe in overkill. I can be at a dead stop on a hill, and when the light turns green that 4:10 rear end just makes it get up and go. Remember I had lived with a Tacoma for years.
0728190951.jpg
Sponsored