Sponsored

Trailer types

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Ok fellas,
Contemplating a trailer. I like the trailer @Jowen has. It’s a little pricey.
But I get that it’s an all terrain kind of trailer. I’m thinking for now just a trailer
(enclosed) for additional luggage or odds n’ sods. Not necessarily for camping or overland, yet!
For instance moving the kids back & forth from schools. I’m prolly going to have a bed rack at some point. I like BuiltRights stuff. Just getting idea of what you guys currently have or like.
I need to get a price on an Aluma46
seems light and convenient.
Whatcha got?
Cheers
Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
A trailer is like a girl friend, plain jain or the princesses jewels. I have several trailers each has a different use, also how much money and tow vehicle. A trailer for general cargo, or box bed would not to expensive. I am retired so I have time to rescue old military m100 or m416 trailers. These run from 300 and up depending on body condition, rust and cost to repair and your skill knowledge base. A m101a2 a bigger trailer is more expensive but bigger, depending again i.e. The picture of you vehicle a small trailer m416 would be about right, a 1000 off highway, 500 off road cargo load. Take your time research and look, look before pulling a wallet out.

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Good advice Jowen. Appreciate that. I will do my research. I do like your one set up you posted. Thanks mate.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
If you are only going to need it to move kids to school and such, why don't you just rent one? To move kids it will need room for furniture. If you don't know what you'll need it for next, you don't know what size you'll need.
Plus side of renting: You don't have to take care of it, bearings,brakes,etc. It won't be in your way when not using it. You won't have to buy license plates. You won't have to loan it to your friends most notably the ones who have no clue about towing.
I own two trailers, a camper and a tilt utility trailer for transporting my tractor or commercial mower.
2008.JPG

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are only going to need it to move kids to school and such, why don't you just rent one? To move kids it will need room for furniture. If you don't know what you'll need it for next, you don't know what size you'll need.
Plus side of renting: You don't have to take care of it, bearings,brakes,etc. It won't be in your way when not using it. You won't have to buy license plates. You won't have to loan it to your friends most notably the ones who have no clue about towing.
I own two trailers, a camper and a tilt utility trailer for transporting my tractor or commercial mower.
2008.JPG
2008.JPG
All good points KVJ. I guess I’m a little anti renting after a fiasco with a U-haul a few years back. Maybe give em another chance. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

Sx3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 JLUR, 1997 Wrangler Sport
First Name
VORSHEER
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vorsheershop.com
Vehicle(s)
VORSHEER Off-Road Trailers
Occupation
Off-Road Trailers
Our trailers are definitely in the camping and overland category.

Here are our XOC and XOC-R models (respectively):
ArLk4rE5sUlbl4VZwhYzphqYEvIgeel-eDW98rEKgFwZg&_nc_ohc=v2HZ8_VX1KwAX9MApb1&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Starting at $19,999 and well equipped $36,000

And our expedition model the Armadillo:
pRghr10WiOYO6hJkfkDHhdhr51W9eXvzbLlJIBuC0PTgw&_nc_ohc=lxvm32w7_egAX8zpTRC&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Starting at $13,500 and well equipped $18,000.

If the trailer you end up getting has brakes, definitely add a trailer brake controller to your Gladiator. A factory trailer brake controller was just released that goes where the cigarette lighter normally goes:
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Utility-Brake-Controller.jpg.image.1000.jpg

Reactions: KVJ

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Our trailers are definitely in the camping and overland category.

Here are our XOC and XOC-R models (respectively):
ArLk4rE5sUlbl4VZwhYzphqYEvIgeel-eDW98rEKgFwZg&_nc_ohc=v2HZ8_VX1KwAX9MApb1&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Starting at $19,999 and well equipped $36,000

And our expedition model the Armadillo:
pRghr10WiOYO6hJkfkDHhdhr51W9eXvzbLlJIBuC0PTgw&_nc_ohc=lxvm32w7_egAX8zpTRC&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

Starting at $13,500 and well equipped $18,000.

If the trailer you end up getting has brakes, definitely add a trailer brake controller to your Gladiator. A factory trailer brake controller was just released that goes where the cigarette lighter normally goes:
2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Utility-Brake-Controller.jpg.image.1000.jpg
And OEM brake controller has not been released yet. It has been delayed AGAIN, now until mid-April according to folks who contacted their dealerships

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I will be in need of a new car hauler starting next spring. I am looking at something lightweight such as aluminum. I want to haul my TJ and eventually the JLR after its built.

I was looking online some and found this.

https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/open-trailers/car-trailers/18-aluminum-car-trailer-10000-gvw-2

Here is my TJ.

20170702_185736.jpg
Aluma. Tilt bed, easy loading. 1500 pounds empty. No steel in frame so it's lighter than most other "aluminum" trailers/car haulers.

With a 3100 pound car you have 4600 pounds, even if you haul some tools, a spare, jack, straps, etc. you will be under 5,000 pounds.
Trailer with 5,000 pound vehicle, still only about 6500 pounds. Under the 7,000 capability of the JT Rubicon.

trailer.jpg
Sponsored