Has anyone with manual trans regeared?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I'm in the market for a Gladiator but wouldn't use the features the Rubi provides, so I'm looking at a Sport S with manual trans. I literally can't find any JT's with a manual near me so I don't have any first hand experience yet on driving dynamics. Unfortunately, as you probably know, Jeep only lets Sport S models (and Overland models) have 3.73 gears with the manual and I've heard even the 4.10 gears in the Rubi are hard to drive due to tall gearing.

Has anyone upgraded yet to a 4.56 / 4.88 gear with a manual? I wouldn't be putting 37s on or anything, maybe a slightly bigger tire from OEM but nothing crazy. I'm curious to hear how the manual behaves with a 4.88 especially.
Sponsored

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
My guess is checking the JL forum is a good start, probably very similar although I to would like to hear people's opinions. I did order a Rubicon but still don't think the gearing will be enough especially since I plan on putting on 37s

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
once my power train warranty is up I will probably regrear to 5.13, get a real TorSen diff and go to 35" tires

and yes i'm getting the manual

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Yup, I went from 4:10's to Mopar Performance parts 4:88's

Sponsored

DJPodratz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Ordered a manual Sport. Had it for a couple of months and like it. No plans to regear.

Of course, I bought Vlad (the Glad) primarily for snow and very mild off-roading (logging roads e.g.).

IMG_4290.JPG

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Just finished breaking in (500mi/fluid change) Mopar 4.88s in mine. It was definitely worth the swap so far to get a few MPG back and plenty of pep. Haven't taken it offroad yet but I primarily drive on the beach when not on pavement so we'll see how that goes next summer.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
once my power train warranty is up I will probably regrear to 5.13, get a real TorSen diff and go to 35" tires

and yes i'm getting the manual
Would the dealer know you re-geared, with regard to warranty? Maybe if you got a savvy mechanic, and my experience with dealers that that is not too common.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Would the dealer know you re-geared, with regard to warranty? Maybe if you got a savvy mechanic, and my experience with dealers that that is not too common.
Agreed. It’s none of their business. Axle gearing isn’t going to cause issues with the radio /nav. Of course they’re not going to cover your aftermarket gears.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a stick shift JTR with 37s and Dana Spicer 5:13 gears. I put 37K miles on the truck since I put on the 3.5" lift kit, 5:13s, and 37" tires. I have done lots of off-roading, badge of honor trails, and fwy driving. The 5:13s, with the manual tranny, and 37" tires are a perfect combination. Acceleration is great all the way around, and granny gear is great on the rocks. If I got to do it over again, I would not change a thing. It is a perfect setup.

Trenabol10

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Sport S on 37/12.5r17 Milestar Patagonia MTs. I went with mopar 4.88 installed by my dealership so I wouldn’t “void warranty”. It’s been great getting 5th/6th gear back but I still struggle up long hills. I do wish I went with 5.13 some days but also figured I’d never exceed 37s and would most likely drop down to 35s.
Sponsored