Sponsored

Anyone using CURT 51180 bluetooth brake controller?

abugarcias

First Name
Reuben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly, the Amazon reviews are a brutal mix bag that makes me not want to entertain it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I have the Prodigy wireless version for my GC, very satisfied with it.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Honestly, the Amazon reviews are a brutal mix bag that makes me not want to entertain it.
I agree that the Amazon reviews are brutal but I did read through all of the 1 star reviews and it seems that most people who are having problems are not experienced tow vehicle drivers. I read reviews on other sites, mainly etrailer, and the reviews are much more favorable. For $229 and free shipping with a return policy I think it is worth a try in my case. My problem is convincing my wife that we need a camper. She is a girly girl and thinks that HI Express is a much better option than a travel trailer.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I decided I’d take one for the team and ordered one. It came in today and I’m going to look at a camper Tuesday. Since I am concerned about the weight I’m Giotto ask if I can hook up and pull it for a while

Sponsored

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
I also ordered it from etrailer just yesterday. I'm only pulling a 1200-1500 pound T@G teardrop but it has electric brakes and I'd like to utilize them.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I tried one of those on my F150 but the issue is flashers. If you turn them on the brakes lock. IF your looking for cheap and easy for $40.00 you can get a controller and harness on amazon. Thats what i did for short term until the factory one is available.

Reese Towpower 74378 Pilot Brake Controller, Black - $21.00

Tekonsha 3014-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Jeep - $13.00

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I looked at that brake controller really hard. But two things kept me from buying it:

1) I don't see how it would stay seated in it's socket. It's LONG and that puts a lot of leverage on the receptacle, and then you're plugging trailer wiring into it also which makes the issue worse. I can see this thing randomly popping loose every time I hit a bump in the road. Heck, the factory 4/7-pin receptacle already has a tendency to try and unclip itself from the bumper as it is. This just doesn't look like it would work.

2) It requires a phone app to operate. Which means you need a phone mount to make it legal. It also means you can't use your brakes if a phone call pops in, or if you're using GPS guidance, or whatever. Also means if your phone dies you're out of luck. I can see that becoming an issue.

I'm still waiting patiently on the Mopar kit, but they're really dragging their feet on it.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I looked at that brake controller really hard. But two things kept me from buying it:

1) I don't see how it would stay seated in it's socket. It's LONG and that puts a lot of leverage on the receptacle, and then you're plugging trailer wiring into it also which makes the issue worse. I can see this thing randomly popping loose every time I hit a bump in the road. Heck, the factory 4/7-pin receptacle already has a tendency to try and unclip itself from the bumper as it is. This just doesn't look like it would work.

2) It requires a phone app to operate. Which means you need a phone mount to make it legal. It also means you can't use your brakes if a phone call pops in, or if you're using GPS guidance, or whatever. Also means if your phone dies you're out of luck. I can see that becoming an issue.

I'm still waiting patiently on the Mopar kit, but they're really dragging their feet on it.
Your first point is a valid concern but your second is inaccurate. All of the literature and published videos state that if you do not have your phone the controller will remember the profile that was used last. All the phone app does is adjust the settings, it does not control active use.

32 highboy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1929 Jeep Gladiato
Your first point is a valid concern but your second is inaccurate. All of the literature and published videos state that if you do not have your phone the controller will remember the profile that was used last. All the phone app does is adjust the settings, it does not control active use.
I have the Curt wireless controller and have used it twice. Set up is a breeze and works fine. Phone is not needed except for set up.

Sponsored

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Need to get a brake controller for an RV trailer we are renting in 2 weeks. I figure if I get the Curt Bluetooth brake controller I can easily resell it if/when Jeep comes out with the factory one. Wondering if there's any issues with using it with the Gladiator?

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-Controller-Bluetooth-Enabled-Proportional/dp/B07JQ99SDD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=17H1LB4VWW7FM&keywords=bluetooth+brake+controller&qid=1565903944&s=automotive&sprefix=bluetooth+brake+,automotive,133&sr=1-3

Used it once and it sucks if you have to grab your phone and hit the overide. Especially if you use your phone for Android/Apple auto play.

Not to mention I had issue with it dropping my left blinker in and out. I had to unplug it at one point to and plug directly in to have brake lights.

In general having to use your phone and Bluetooth to brake and make adjustments in emergency sucks. If you don't want to wait for factory/after market harness to be released I'd go with Prodigy RF model

I returned mine to Amazon

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

dirtchicken

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Half Door, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I haven’t read too much here but I was probably one of the first to attempt a wired brake controller. Maybe others have had better luck but mine was dealer installed and a mess. I think I paid 350.00 installed. It is sitting unplugged and abandoned under the dash and I want my money back when I return to Fl. My gladiator has most of the options and I don’t think the brake controllers work seamlessly with the tech yet and so jeep has not offered one - my dash looked like the worlds fair after plugging in the newly purchased trailer. I have used the prodigy wireless for about 2500 miles of towing with zero complaints. It has been fine in all aspects including a seriously heavy 75-0 emergency stop.

It even works if you forget to plug in the hand controller

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How do you adjust gain or use your manual override if the app isn't open?

In order to use the controller properly and safely, the app would need to be open, the phone would need a good battery charge, and it would need to be within fast reach. That would be a PITA, especially if you plan to use the phone for other uses such as calls, music, nav, etc.

Also, there is the issue where you apparently can't use your hazard lights with this unit, because the wireless nature of it causes a brake surge that syncs with the pulse of the lights.

Having said all that, not needing to mount any equipment in the cabin of the truck is a very nice feature, especially for guys who lease.
Sponsored