Manual transmission ratings

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The most important numbers are below 3000 rpm, with a manual!That graph means nothing .

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Okay. Not my understanding though. No offense meant.

Here's my take: safety is control.

We've got an emergency brake for the downhill control.
We've got the clutch for disengaging tires (no spin).

Harder? Sure.
Better driving fun? You bet.

Automatic slips like all hell under most conditions, break modulation is like stopping butter from melting, it's still slick.

Power steering is nice but you don't need it.
This means everything to drive a Mt. Sure it's harder but it takes more skill and for some reason that is what makes us crave a Mt over a auto

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
This means everything to drive a Mt. Sure it's harder but it takes more skill and for some reason that is what makes us crave a Mt over a auto
I was thinking about this. So maybe the auto transmission guys were not happy with the clunky transmissions that once dominated. So for years they have monitored the improvements of automatics. Now they have one that's smooth and they like it. That explains the excitement that finally there is an auto with enough gears to handle smoothly the up hills, down hills, crawling etc. Ok great. We now have an auto that is "better" at some things than a manual. For me, the auto is good for that. Paddle shifting is fun too. But none of that Compar-o works when you get to disengaging power to the wheels. What, use neutral? I have done that many times, and prefer a clutch to re-engage power. Not to mention granny gear. 4lo in any automatic is not granny gear in any manual transmission. So I'm sticking with M/T for now.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I was thinking about this. So maybe the auto transmission guys were not happy with the clunky transmissions that once dominated. So for years they have monitored the improvements of automatics. Now they have one that's smooth and they like it. That explains the excitement that finally there is an auto with enough gears to handle smoothly the up hills, down hills, crawling etc. Ok great. We now have an auto that is "better" at some things than a manual. For me, the auto is good for that. Paddle shifting is fun too. But none of that Compar-o works when you get to disengaging power to the wheels. What, use neutral? I have done that many times, and prefer a clutch to re-engage power. Not to mention granny gear. 4lo in any automatic is not granny gear in any manual transmission. So I'm sticking with M/T for now.
the paddle shift sucks I was sitting in my fordfocus trying to Invision the Rubicon Manuel and I put it into "paddle shift " the idol on it telling me it was close to be needed to shift sucked and after hitting the break thinking I was hitting a clutch to hit another gear that's when I knew I need this manual jt. After all who knows how long manuals can survive much more. This might be the last of the Mohicans . Better act now before there a thing of the past. Can you say a Jeep truck with a manual tranny the last of its kind and drive the hell out of it with a smile on your face? I can...if not get a auto

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
the paddle shift sucks I was sitting in my fordfocus trying to Invision the Rubicon Manuel and I put it into "paddle shift " the idol on it telling me it was close to be needed to shift sucked and after hitting the break thinking I was hitting a clutch to hit another gear that's when I knew I need this manual jt. After all who knows how long manuals can survive much more. This might be the last of the Mohicans . Better act now before there a thing of the past. Can you say a Jeep truck with a manual tranny the last of its kind and drive the hell out of it with a smile on your face? I can...if not get a auto

:CWL::CWL:. Yes. I can say "Drive the hell out of it"

2004blackwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 wrx, 2005 xterra, 2014 durango, formerly 1998 wrangler
Yea IDK why you make the clutch the weak link. I had a 4 cylinder 98 wrangler on original clutch I sold with 235,000 miles. I am not sure I always assumed it had same clutch as the 6 CYL which gave it a huge advantage. Essentially it was overbuilt. I read about ESS and how it only comes on in neutral. I guess it will never come on in my truck. Seriously who needs to put it in neutral at a light its not hard to sit here with a foot on the clutch. I never understand the complaint of a clutch in traffic either it comes second nature with no thought. This truck should have a truck clutch. If you can't handle a truck you can't handle a real clutch. I just sold a 05 xterra. It needed a new clutch every 40,000 miles or so. That's bs. That's what happens when your SUV shares a clutch with a sports car you get C***.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Yea IDK why you make the clutch the weak link. I had a 4 cylinder 98 wrangler on original clutch I sold with 235,000 miles. I am not sure I always assumed it had same clutch as the 6 CYL which gave it a huge advantage. Essentially it was overbuilt. I read about ESS and how it only comes on in neutral. I guess it will never come on in my truck. Seriously who needs to put it in neutral at a light its not hard to sit here with a foot on the clutch. I never understand the complaint of a clutch in traffic either it comes second nature with no thought. This truck should have a truck clutch. If you can't handle a truck you can't handle a real clutch. I just sold a 05 xterra. It needed a new clutch every 40,000 miles or so. That's bs. That's what happens when your SUV shares a clutch with a sports car you get C***.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
New to this forum. I drive a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hardrock. 2-door. Every option available. And a 6-speed manual. 92,600 miles as of tonight when I pulled it into the garage. I want to seriously drive a Jeep Gladiator in Rubicon trim with a manual transmission. Looking hard at getting one but on the fence on the manual. I realize it's the same transmission that's in a JL. But the JT is a different Jeep. And heavier. I hope I love it and don't settle for the automatic. And it's a great automatic by the way.

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
What is the Performance vs. Stock? Is that from a chip/recalibration?
Sorry...that is the Automatic transmission model. Posted the wrong one initially.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Gotta chime in. I've owned MT cars and/or trucks for all 44 years of my driving life. Had a 5-speed MT Nissan Hardbody 4X4 for 20 years and loved it. Wanted something a little bigger, so I bought my Ram in 2014, the first AT I've owned and a better automatic transmission than any other I've ever driven (I've driven a lot of rental cars.) Love the truck, but am more than ready to go back to a manual transmission.

I've had friends with Wranglers and always really wanted one, but I need a truck. When Jeep announced the Gladiator with a standard 6-speed -- enough said -- I was sold.

Saying you have to jockey the clutch when off-road, or traffic being a hassle are backwards IMHO. In both cases, it's so nice to just stick it in the appropriate low gear; it minimizes both shifting and riding of the brakes (I hate having to ride the brakes.) Complaints about a light clutch also seem backwards to me. I love my Civic with a feather light clutch. I'm really relieved hearing reports that this Jeep has a light clutch.

Obviously, AT transmissions suit most folks these days. Self driving cars might someday be the rave. Just don't try to convince those of us who actually prefer to DRIVE our vehicles that we should want what you want.

Last edited:

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I have always preferred manual over automatic transmissions. But for the last 12 years the vehicles that I have had were not even available with a manual transmission.

I can say that the 8spd in my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, which is the same that's in the JT, is, by far, no runners up, better to drive, under any conditions in which I have driven it, than any other automatic that I've owned or driven.

But there is no doubt in my mind that what I want in my JT is the 6spd manual. I suppose you could call them different kinds of better. I want the "better" that gives me a more engaging driving experience and that gives me greater control of and feedback on exactly what the vehicle is doing.

Ghostrider29

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator_Dodge Demon
350 TQ looks like the right number for the manual. This what I found.

Either engine option can come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The eight-speed automatic is a Chrysler made variant of the 8HP50. This is the third generation of these transmissions, which are primarily used in BMWs, Alfa Romeos, and Rolls Royces. It has a max torque rating of 500 lb-ft.

The manual transmission is an Aisin D478, and it is only paired with the Pentastar engine. The Aisin is a great transmission that’s getting rave reviews for its shorter throws and notchy feel. This is a new transmission, but it would appear that the closest transmission on the manufacturer’s website is given with a torque rating of 345 lb-ft.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation