Sponsored

Possible Pricing Info Eco Diesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
It failed. $3k. Common problem.
I agree there were problems with some of the DEF pumps. I was in the shop three times for the infamous 'Reductant Line Pressure''. My service advisor said their was a TSB on the sensor/pump. They replaced the pump after the third time of clearing the code. I haven't had a problem sense.

You can argue all you want but the fact is the ROI, for light duty use, isn't there.
I've never tried to argue that the ROI is there. You shouldn't buy a diesel for the ROI, you should buy a diesel because it fits your needs and wants.

K51kYgy.jpg

h7xWd4p.jpg

e5eqwt0.jpg
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Exactly my reasoning. I was convinced that I either need the diesel or a different vehicle after seeing the Ike towing challenge on TFLTrucks. Iā€™m planning to buy a property out near Breckinridge for camping and eventually building a cabin. The 3.6 wonā€™t cut it unless it has a turbo or super charger. Right now that kind of mod seem problematic on that particular engine.
My wife and I have daytime jobs that pay the bills, but one of my hobbies is to develop mountain property. We currently own 3 mountain properties. In the past, I cut some trees to open views and cleared a place for a building site. Customers are more likely to buy property if they can envision a cabin and see the views. I'm currently working on one property in which we had a well drilled, electric brought in, and a septic system installed. The point that I'm trying to make is that I'm always hauling tools, equipment, tractor, chainsaws, etc. The gasoline engine is designed for some towing, but not a lot of towing. The diesel engine is designed for towing.

There's a Hot Shot on the Ram Ecodiesel forum who put over 300,000 miles on his first Ecodiesel before he realized that his coolant was leaking internally through the EGR cooler. The engine got hot and pushed out the head gasket. Had he caught the coolant leak in time, who knows how many miles he would have gotten from his Ecodiesel. Keep in mind, he is towing for a living. He now has over 200,000 on his replacement engine. His new engine has the GDE tune, therefore the emissions are turned off. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 500,000 miles out of his current engine. So yes, when towing is involved, or high mileage is expected, I think the diesel is the better option.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Confirmed. Ram 1500 Ecodiesel upgrade from 3.6 Pentastar = $4995. Does not include the auto trans. If it does I'm stoked, if not I'm not sure at all.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Confirmed. Ram 1500 Ecodiesel upgrade from 3.6 Pentastar = $4995. Does not include the auto trans. If it does I'm stoked, if not I'm not sure at all.
Everything seems to indicate that it does not include the price of the Auto. However, consider this, would you have bought the Automatic or Manual with the 3.6. If you would have bought the Auto anyways, then you should look at it as a $5000 upcharge. If you would have bought a manual, then $7000. Just depends on your personal perspective on the matter.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Everything seems to indicate that it does not include the price of the Auto. However, consider this, would you have bought the Automatic or Manual with the 3.6. If you would have bought the Auto anyways, then you should look at it as a $5000 upcharge. If you would have bought a manual, then $7000. Just depends on your personal perspective on the matter.
Exactly. Not really an added cost since MOST people would have gotten auto anyway regardless of engine choice.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd really rather have the manual.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I'd really rather have the manual.
Then from your perspective, it's going to be a $7000 upcharge. I'm different in that I would have bought the auto anyways.

One other point that I considered. I'm considering the diesel because of the extra power. I'm going to be towing across I70, up and down the Rocky Mountains. As TFLtruck's video on testing the Gladiators towing up and down The Ike, the 3.6 really is lacking in that area. Supercharging or Turbocharging the 3.6 to do the job is going to cost about $5000 in parts alone. I would also void my warranty and risk blowing the engine. Which happened @Kevin8086. So, do me, the diesel's pricing is pretty much a wash.

The only other consideration is the competition. When you add that diesel, you're near the pricing of a Raptor which has similar torque and much better HP. I may go that route instead but I do think I'll be able to get a Gladiator, even with the diesel, for less than MSRP.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then from your perspective, it's going to be a $7000 upcharge. I'm different in that I would have bought the auto anyways.

One other point that I considered. I'm considering the diesel because of the extra power. I'm going to be towing across I70, up and down the Rocky Mountains. As TFLtruck's video on testing the Gladiators towing up and down The Ike, the 3.6 really is lacking in that area. Supercharging or Turbocharging the 3.6 to do the job is going to cost about $5000 in parts alone. I would also void my warranty and risk blowing the engine. Which happened @Kevin8086. So, do me, the diesel's pricing is pretty much a wash.

The only other consideration is the competition. When you add that diesel, you're near the pricing of a Raptor which has similar torque and much better HP. I may go that route instead but I do think I'll be able to get a Gladiator, even with the diesel, for less than MSRP.
I may have to go Sport S, then add suspension and 35s. Want to go Rubicon with a manual. Might be a wash. I won't buy a JT with a 3.6, so I guess I better save more $$$. Now I'm hoping I can get proximity entry in a sport when this is released.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I've never tried to argue that the ROI is there. You shouldn't buy a diesel for the ROI, you should buy a diesel because it fits your needs and wants.
Truer words have never been written. The JT is a lifestyle vehicle 1st, a midsized truck 2nd, and totally bitchen truck 3rd --> or totally bitchen 1st or 2nd...

OP
OP
RedTRex

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

And how are you confirming? besides all MOPAR and Truck sources are speweng the same news story from Wards now

Sponsored

OP
OP
RedTRex

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
And how are you confirming? besides all MOPAR and Truck sources are speweng the same news story from Wards now
We in reality can only speculate what it means for Jeep

and like I said previously while I am waiting until spring anyway, plenty of time for this to sort itself out. I won't pay $7K for diesel option

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
I just watched an Alex on Autos review of the Ram ecoDiesel, and he said itā€™s going to be less expensive than the options from GM.

Car and Driver said it was a $2495 option over the V6. If you look at an LTZ or High Country Silverado, thatā€™s accurate over the 5.3L and 8-speed (no V6 available). However, if you look at the LT or RST, itā€™s about $6k over the 2.7L turbo and 8-speed.

So I think $5k is a fair assessment, unless heā€™s also going off Wards.

I would argue; however, that the $5k will include the auto. I think weā€™ll see a $3k option plus $2k for the automatic. If you look at a Wrangler, the 2.0L is only a $1k option, plus the automatic for $2k. I seem to remember people talking about the 2.0L being a $3k or more option before the Wrangler came out. Maybe Iā€™m wrong about that. Since Ram isnā€™t available with a manual, I think this makes the most sense.

Obviously we wonā€™t know until we know, but thatā€™s my theory.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
K51kYgy.jpg

h7xWd4p.jpg

e5eqwt0.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Pulling those trailers with a JT seems insane. Good luck!
Sponsored