Sponsored

Where have you been all my life, Gladys?

Moriarty

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gobi gas, 2022 JT Willys Gobi gas
Had some fun taking photos of Gladys in the Little Cedar River in the U. P. At my buddy's land near Carney, Michigan.

20190818_080259.jpg

20190818_080242.jpg

20190818_080224.jpg

20190818_080436.jpg

20190818_080421.jpg

20190818_080407.jpg

20190818_080353.jpg

20190818_080150.jpg
Looking good!
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I may have been called a perfectionist a few times. I kinda believe in Its not worth doing unless you do it right ( i thought there is a saying like that, lol).

So this was my journey to make the 2x4 bed supports better.

I measured the indent on the wheel wells, they're actually 4" wide. So I used my Festool track saw to rip down a 2x6 to 4".
1 rip 4 inch.jpg

Next I wanted the edges to hug the slope better, so I set the miter saw to max 60deg, and cut both sides slightly bigger on purpose.
2 miter both sides large.jpg

Now I put on the truck, there's a gap...good!
3 gap on bottom.jpg

Now I'm doing what my finish carpenter friend calls "walking it in". Its a process of slicing tiny bits off a miter saw to slowly make something fit perfectly. I'm sure most of you are like, ITS A 2X4, WHO CARES. I'll explain why it matters in a bit.

To walk it in, put piece of wood on fence, sowly push cut edge of board into the saw blade. This will cause the blade to deflect (bend). The more pressure, the more bend. Don't over do it. Now pull the miter saw up, the blade will fling back to straight. Come down with the saw and slice a tiny bit off the board.
When you need to take more off just cut the kerf of the blade. Trust me, this takes patience. When doing this with a 2x4 for a bed of a truck if you take too much off, oh well. When you're working with an expensive piece of crown moulding, you may think hey, I can take more off. Then BOOM, you took too much off. PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. LOL
4 walk it in.jpg

Still gap
5 still gap.jpg

Keep cutting it. Over and over. Took maybe 5-6 cut and checks until it was perfect., well KINDA.
6 wrong miter left.jpg
7 wrong miter right.jpg
Unfortunately the angle is more than 60deg, so there's a gap on each side because my miter saw can't cut greater than 60deg., LOL So much for perfection. Here's where I will mention why I went to such lengths. As i hoped, the piece sits nicely in the indentation of the wheel well. So well in fact that when you push a piece of plywood over it, it doesn't slide out, or when you pull the last piece of plywood off the truck, the board still doesn't slide out. I was actually going to bevel cut the long edges to make it fit PERFECTLY, but I wanted to get going to the UP and walking in a compound cut like that is hard to do. Typically I would need to make a test piece for the one miter, and a test piece for the bevel, then combine the 2 on a final board. Even for me, that was a bit overkill.

Next, the 7" tall board. Jeep suggests 2, 2x4s. I'd rather have 1 piece, so i'm starting with an 8" wide board.
Too wide.
8 too wide.jpg
Still too wide.
9 still too wide.jpg

Walk it in
10 walk it in straight.jpg
Measure with a straight edge for perfect height.
11 measure straight edge.jpg
Set my track saw depth gauges to 6 and 28/32. CORRECTION: I RE-checked this with a metal straight edge and got 6 and 7/32". So.... with the 14/32" bed mat, that would mean a 6 and 5/8" board I think would be the right height if I didn't have a bed mat......So much for perfect, lol.
12 6 and 28 32.jpg
Rip
13 perfect rip track saw.jpg
Check with straight edge, yep, it touches both boards and tailgate simultaneously. YAY!
14 straight edge touch all 3.jpg

Go to menards and get 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood.
15 plywood at menards.jpg
Stop for a nice plywood shot with Gladys.
16 plywood outside.jpg
Pulling sheets off the bed onto saw horses is easy. Throw my track saw on there to rip the boards down to 34" to make a plywood door for my deer stand.
17 truck to straight rip.jpg

Loaded up......DAMN I NEED A TOPPER. If you are carrying sheet goods, there's only like 10" or so of space above plywood to store tools before the tonneau cover. This isn't enough space and I had to put my milwaukee toolbox in the child seat.......oh well. Trip to U.P. was a success. Deer stand has new door. Gladys got to play in the stream a bit and get her first mud on her fenders, lol.
20190816_183116.jpg
20190816_183124.jpg
20190816_183151.jpg
20190816_183205.jpg

And now I have a new Avatar!
28509.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
E43E3481-BF2F-418C-92DB-724BF0C8F7BD.jpeg
1E8EE0ED-A945-4FA0-9AA0-3452462744FD.jpeg
Hey @steffen707 you are right. My grandfather had a similar saying. He always told me: If you are going back do a job then do it right or don’t do it at all.

I think you need some more bed matting material so you can have the bed floor covered all the way to the front of the bed. Yes I know, it’s a work in progress.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
E43E3481-BF2F-418C-92DB-724BF0C8F7BD.jpeg
1E8EE0ED-A945-4FA0-9AA0-3452462744FD.jpeg
Hey @steffen707 you are right. My grandfather had a similar saying. He always told me: If you are going back do a job then do it right or don’t do it at all.

I think you need some more bed matting material so you can have the bed floor covered all the way to the front of the bed. Yes I know, it’s a work in progress.
I actually have those pieces cut as well, took them out the other day to trim them. They're back in now.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I used to be on the perfectionist bandwagon, but then i realized i could get 90% of the way there in 1/4 of the time. With a kid, i now have a very limited amount of free time so this works out.

Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
I used to be on the perfectionist bandwagon, but then i realized i could get 90% of the way there in 1/4 of the time. With a kid, i now have a very limited amount of free time so this works out.
In line with this mentality, I’m on the Fail Fast bandwagon. Too much to do and not enough time.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In line with this mentality, I’m on the Fail Fast bandwagon. Too much to do and not enough time.
i'm still fighting against this, but i hear ya. 2 kids, 1 dog, 1 small business I should give up on perfection, but I haven't yet.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
i'm still fighting against this, but i hear ya. 2 kids, 1 dog, 1 small business I should give up on perfection, but I haven't yet.
Perfection doesn't exist, it's a Utopian concept. If you can freeze time and space, sure something can be perfect at that time but again is subjective and is perfect to that particular individual (what's perfect to you might not be perfect to me) at that space/time location. That doesn't mean you do a sloppy job, but you do the best you can and a lil wabi-sabi gives it character. I work in tech and anytime I hear anyone say they are a perfectionist (In my mind, I hear it as douche-bag LOL) , it just puts unreasonable expectations on the people working on it when everything around you changes and since perfection is so temporal it is rather just an arrogant ideology imposed on to others and to oneself unknowingly mostly. You do the best work possible for the best ROI. That's my philosophy ;)

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfection doesn't exist, it's a Utopian concept. If you can freeze time and space, sure something can be perfect at that time but again is subjective and is perfect to that particular individual (what's perfect to you might not be perfect to me) at that space/time location. That doesn't mean you do a sloppy job, but you do the best you can and a lil wabi-sabi gives it character. I work in tech and anytime I hear anyone say they are a perfectionist (In my mind, I hear it as douche-bag LOL) , it just puts unreasonable expectations on the people working on it when everything around you changes and since perfection is so temporal it is rather just an arrogant ideology imposed on to others and to oneself unknowingly mostly. You do the best work possible for the best ROI. That's my philosophy ;)
lmao. Well I do like your insight even if i'm a douche-bag. :blush:

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with you. It's all about time and allowable tollerences.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
There's actually a double standard when I hear "i'm a perfectionist" depending on the situation. When you are building something and say it then I think you are going to do a really good job. At my job when i hear a team member say it, I think they are going to take forever, be a complete bottle neck and then the end result isn't going to be worth it anyways.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's actually a double standard when I hear "i'm a perfectionist" depending on the situation. When you are building something and say it then I think you are going to do a really good job. At my job when i hear a team member say it, I think they are going to take forever, be a complete bottle neck and then the end result isn't going to be worth it anyways.
I dig your interpretation.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In case anybody buys a 67 design jl/JT dash mount and it's wobbly, taking the screws out will screw up the 3M pad.
Also, there was what looks like red locktite on the screws.

So I believe my wobbly one was just not torqued properly from factory.

If you want to drill the two "optional holes" and don't want to lower the windshield, I suggest buying the Milwaukee Shockwave right angle adapter, then a 1/4" HEX chuck drill bit. Can't wait to use this thing.

20190819_204149.jpg

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
Video please?? I would love to see that thing in action! Im sorry you have an issue with your 67 designs mount, I know you will get it right though.
Sponsored