Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
How are the Max Tow 4.10s and the 8spd. behaving with the 35s.
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I put 35s on my Rubicon with 4.10s about a week after I bought it and didn't notice a difference in performance or handling but it sure looks better.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the max tow with 37's and the gears seem to be great compared to the 373's I had on my JK. The 8 speed on the other hand leaves a little to be desired. I have not programmed it yet to reflect tire size increase so I'm not sure if that will help with shift points. 8th gear is useless above ~55mph. It is hesitant to shift into 7th gear and stays well above 3000 rpms even when not accelerating. I am getting worse gas mileage than I did on my JK.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I've got the max tow with 37's and the gears seem to be great compared to the 373's I had on my JK. The 8 speed on the other hand leaves a little to be desired. I have not programmed it yet to reflect tire size increase so I'm not sure if that will help with shift points. 8th gear is useless above ~55mph. It is hesitant to shift into 7th gear and stays well above 3000 rpms even when not accelerating. I am getting worse gas mileage than I did on my JK.
So the gears are not great and you need 5.13s.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe...the point I'm making is that my JKU with a 5 speed auto and 373 gears got better gas mileage (15-16mpg) and shifted into overdrive without any issue. My Gladiator with a 8 speed auto and 410 gears gets worse gas mileage (12-13mpg) and also struggles to shift into overdrive gears.

Sponsored

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Get a Tazer and reprogram it and you will see better shifts. I have 37s and 4.10s on mine and before the program, it would hunt for gearing - constantly fluctuating between 6th and 7th gear. Now with the reprogram from the Tazer, it cruises in 8th at 70 mph no problem and only occasionally drops into 7th on small hills. This is the first tank with the reprogram so I can't say yet about mpg.

wyldefreebyrd

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Get a Tazer and reprogram it and you will see better shifts. I have 37s and 4.10s on mine and before the program, it would hunt for gearing - constantly fluctuating between 6th and 7th gear. Now with the reprogram from the Tazer, it cruises in 8th at 70 mph no problem and only occasionally drops into 7th on small hills. This is the first tank with the reprogram so I can't say yet about mpg.
What Ted said. Have 35's and have reprogrammed for the tire size. Highway speeds are no problem, easily cruise at 70-80 no problem. Gas mileage suffers a bit, average 16.9 mpg with a mix of highway and street driving.

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome!! I assumed it was a programming issue but couldn't tell for sure until I bought the Tazer and did it for myself. This just moved up to the top of my to-do list. Thanks for the info!!

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for the responses.

Maybe I will get the Mopar 2 inch and some 35's faster then the usual 40-50K before i modified on the TJ and TJ-L.

Great responses!! Thank you.

Deleted member 23202

What Ted said. Have 35's and have reprogrammed for the tire size. Highway speeds are no problem, easily cruise at 70-80 no problem. Gas mileage suffers a bit, average 16.9 mpg with a mix of highway and street driving.
That’s not bad for MPG on a heavy box flying around on big tires.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My experience exactly. Right at 17 MPGs, runs fine at any speed, but it doesn't like to stay in 8th gear much anymore. Only if the road is flat and there isn't a headwind.

I went from stock to 35s and then after a few months I went back to stock for a week just to feel the difference. BIG difference. Braking, acceleration, all of it is way different on the stock setup. Then again, that should be expected when you go from 55 lbs. per corner to 95 lbs. per corner. Unsprung weight kills.

JTB12

First Name
Blain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow
I have 37's and 4:10's. The tranny sucked until I recalibrated with my Tazer. It makes a HUGE difference in shifting performance! It is fairly flat where I live, and I frequently see 7th and 8th gears. Tranny shifts very smooth!

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
How are the Max Tow 4.10s and the 8spd. behaving with the 35s.
I had a maxtow on 35's for 40k miles. It got 14.5MPG mixed. Mostly due to the hills around me on the highways and the highway speeds are 75-80mph.

It basically slammed down to 5th gear floored to climb the mountain passes to tahoe/reno.

I swapped for an ecodiesel sport s and am getting 25mpg with the exact same route. It climbs all the hills about 2100rpm 2/3 throttle at 80mph. Much much better.

If you have a max tow the 4.10s do help but something I noticed is the max tow suspension is MUCH stiffer than a standard sport S so it actually does better offroad with a small spacer lift vs a non max tow.

I would be looking at 5.13's for 35's and 5.38 for 37s with a 3.6L max tow. 7th and 8th are like dragging a wind sail and towing 4k lbs once you go for larger tires.
Sponsored