Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I saw a video from @WXman where his young son was driving his Gladiator. Curious to learn more about that. What a cool dad!
Yes, he just turned 12 this summer, and we had an Ash tree fall (all of the Ash trees here are being killed by a pest called the Emerald Ash Borer) and we needed to drag it out of the woods and up to the burn pile. I knew there was little risk involved because we were going to be in the field at low speed, and he's been driving UTVs since he was 5 so he's familiar with the controls for brake, throttle, and steering. I decided to make his day and toss him the keys. :) He was on cloud 9. He did a great job. I operated the tow strap and he drove.

I think that the more experience he gets behind the wheel while off road, the easier it'll be to learn how to drive on road four years from now. It's good to get a "feel" for a vehicle.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Absolutely. Well done. Never forget driving my aunt's borrowed El Camino through a field, down a hill to get some river rock my Mom wanted. Second time driving, circa 1980. First time was in sister's 1976 Ford pickup, manual steering, manual brakes, three on the tree. Big field, thank goodness.

So yeah, off roading came first for me as well, come to think. Used to do terrible things climbing hills and traversing dirt roads as a teen in my Supra and the family wagon. So ready to get to off roading again . . . even if I'm not (necessarily) trying to find a private spot with my girl now!

Slygray1

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Mustang GT500
Occupation
Retired
I let my girl friend drive the Gladiator. She drives everything I have from a 1968 Mustang to a Mustang Gt500 packing 850hp. Also has driven a friends Shelby Raptor Baja. No worries.

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
Just me wife has a newer Ford exploder, and my kid drives a jku. So they might get a ride in it lol

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I let my son take it to the 1st day of school a few days after I got it. My wife said I was nuts. I also let him take it for a hour one day that I had the windshield off. Him and his buddy put on there swimming goggles and looked like dorks. Dorks having the time of there lives:like:

I tell my boy if you are good you can drive it. If you are bad I will run you over with it. He believes that I will do it so he is a pretty good kid.:CWL:

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I bought it for my wife, so hopefully she lets me drive it!

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Whoever wants/or needs to

Lex Low

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2020 JTR
Occupation
Film Editor
In the 7 years I've had my JK, my wife has driven it twice because she had to. She hated every moment of it. (I have a long arm suspension and 37s on it) she always gets on me on how unsafe, noisy and obnoxious it is. I just smile and wave. Smile and wave. Now that I'm waiting for my JT coming off the dealership with the Mopar lift and 37s. I am so hoping she feels the same.

Sponsored

MaximusJTRubi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
my fiance and my daughter....my daughter (15) drove it on the trails at Northwest OHV @ 800 miles.

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
I'm hoping that mine drives down the assembly line, than maybe train guy, would rather go straight to truck driver guy, than dealership inspection guy, than me. By this time its already like the village bicycle so who cares.

Krim

First Name
Krim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Purchasing & Inventory Control Manager
I would love to let other people drive it, but all the people that ask to do so... I can't trust... I've ridden with them and I fear for my life every time.

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone within reason,,it is a machine. While I do "love"it, I enjoy seeing others have fun and enjoy it also. If it breaks or whatever,,fix it. If someone wants to test drive a "real" one instead of going to the dealer, take it. I have no issue with letting someone I know drive it.
Sponsored