Kenitic energy rope retrieval.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I know that the jt have recovery hooks on the front and rear, to use the rope you run and pull stretching the rope to pull the stuck vehicle. my question is do you use both hooks with bridle or one hook? If you use one hook do you run the chance of landering your frame out of square?
Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
You can use one hook. For seriously stuck vehicles you can use a shorter strap (equalizer strap) through the loop of your snatch strap, attached to the two recovery hooks.

Another good option is a trailer hitch shackle mount. But I'm honestly unsure what the gear ratio of reverse is on a JT. It could have more torque than first, it could have less.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Be careful when pulling from the hitch, the mounts are designed for progressive loading not shock loading, tow balls especially.

As for hooks, the more points of contact the better distributed the loads are. If you can use both hooks on both vehicles you’d be making the most use of the energy and less likely to start pulling things out of spec.

OP
OP

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I agree pulling from a hitch with shock load is a very bad idea, you are pulling in a single point of failure, if both hooks are used with a bridle on both ends is the best, then you have multiple points of failure. however ever who carries recovery bridles?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Snatching from the hitch frame with the proper hitch is not a problem. You should NEVER use a ball hitch to jerk a vehicle free. There are several YouTube videos by a respected Aussie by the name of Ronnie Dahl that shows what can happen when you use a hitch ball..

On the other hand using the proper hitch is fine. Look up a guy on YouTube by the name of Matt’s Towing. He uses his Cherokee to jerk all sorts of people out of tough situations. I ended up buying the same kinetic rope he uses because I was so impressed with its capabilities.

Here’s one of his videos...

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Trailer hitch is not a recovery point, certainly not a kinetic recovery point.

Always use as many connection points as is reasonable, if using a hook on the front or rear bumper, it is best to use both bridging the two with a synthetic choker.

Recovery points should be direct frame connections.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Snatching from the hitch frame with the proper hitch is not a problem. You should NEVER use a ball hitch to jerk a vehicle free. There are several YouTube videos by a respected Aussie by the name of Ronnie Dahl that shows what can happen when you use a hitch ball..

On the other hand using the proper hitch is fine. Look up a guy on YouTube by the name of Matt’s Towing. He uses his Cherokee to jerk all sorts of people out of tough situations. I ended up buying the same kinetic rope he uses because I was so impressed with its capabilities.

I don't think I would put too much weight on a guy who puts a shackle in the middle of two kinetic ropes.

If that back rope breaks it is going to slingshot that shackle .

That said he also may have hardened that receiver to serve as a recovery point.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Ronnie also has a video where they create failures to demonstrate what bad wire rope and shackles etc can do.

Yes you can with the right hitch but no I would not recommend either giving or taking a yank from one because you know your rig but do you know theirs?

My front hitch is frame mounted and my rear is cross member mounted but what about the guy with ball on his step bumper?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

Total carnage!

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi

which snatch rope does he use? I have been a fan of his channel for quite a while and has sold me on the benefit of snatching someone out.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
which snatch rope does he use? I have been a fan of his channel for quite a while and has sold me on the benefit of snatching someone out.
his recoveries are amazing!

originally I believe he used Bubba Ropes but I think he switched to ASR and that’s what I got..

http://www.asroffroad.com/

Not cheap but they are definitely a quality piece of kit!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
[QUOTE="ACAD_Cowboy, post: 32076.....My front hitch is frame mounted and my rear is cross member mounted but what about the guy with ball on his step bumper?[/QUOTE]

That would be a big NO ghost rider...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
At Jeep Camp the other week I was trying to pull a guy out of a mud hole. He had a recovery strap on one of his rear hooks, I had it looped to one of the hooks on my front bumper of my JT sport s.
I was in 4hi,traction control off, he's in deep mud, I was in shallow soft ground.

As soon as the strap was taught and I stepped on the gas, the engine bogged down, like traction control was on. No tire spinning in reverse at all.

I tried again making sure traction control was off, couldn't get any wheel spin even though I wasn't in an optimal traction situation.

Anybody know what was going on?

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
At Jeep Camp the other week I was trying to pull a guy out of a mud hole. He had a recovery strap on one of his rear hooks, I had it looped to one of the hooks on my front bumper of my JT sport s.
I was in 4hi,traction control off, he's in deep mud, I was in shallow soft ground.

As soon as the strap was taught and I stepped on the gas, the engine bogged down, like traction control was on. No tire spinning in reverse at all.

I tried again making sure traction control was off, couldn't get any wheel spin even though I wasn't in an optimal traction situation.

Anybody know what was going on?
Sounds weird... The only thing I can figure is that you needed a lower gear, ie. 4WL to pull him out. It sounds like with the extra weight pushing down the front end, you were unable to loose traction.. In the manual Rubicon, Reverse is a higher gear than 1st gear in 4WH, so, it was like you were trying to pull him out in gear 1.5. It is probably the same way in the auto tranny.
Sponsored