Painting the Inside of the freedom top, and touch up of outside

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Can't believe I didn't think of this. I foresee a blue interior hardtop in my near future :rock:
soon you're going to have this problem.......
source.gif
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received my full set of of black Hot Head Headliners today. Expecting they will do the job of toning down the all white roof interior.
I'm painting it black and then doing the hothead Headliners.

Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
so this brings up a serious question.
I know, serious from JP? pfft.
What about using Rhino-Liner or Line-X? :idea:

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
thanks for the advice, i'll alcohol prep it and think i'll try the lack satin kyrlon fusion that @FL Handle Guy suggested.

As for the lighting inside...I'm not sure. Trouble is i'm doing a custom pattern headliner that should match tan seats and Gator really nicely, but it needs either tan or black for the rest of the headliner or else it'll look weird.

I think for this I may choose fashion over function. I plan to keep most of what I need access to in my topper area anyways with great lighting.

In the interior I only need access to the center console and the light is right over my shoulder for that.
Just a heads up, by alcohol prep he means wipe the panels down with alcohol, not drink a sixpack of coors lite before you begin :LOL:

Can't believe I didn't think of this. I foresee a blue interior hardtop in my near future :rock:
I feel like plastidip would tear pretty fast where the catches rub over it :no:

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Just a heads up, by alcohol prep he means wipe the panels down with alcohol, not drink a sixpack of coors lite before you begin :LOL:
There's ALWAYS gotta be ONE damn spoiler-sport in the group... :LOL:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so this brings up a serious question.
I know, serious from JP? pfft.
What about using Rhino-Liner or Line-X? :idea:
well it would be neat and match the bed, but not sure its worth the expense.

i can do krylon for like $20 plus my time. Not sure how much line-x would charge, plus they can't paint where the headliner 3m tape will be sticking.

i guess that's not a problem for everybody if they're not doing headliners too.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
I just leave my black mesh spiderweb shade on under my top. Nice mostly black roof without any painting.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I wish I had thought of this when I had my LJ. The white roof was bright cheap looking. A textured bed liner paint cuts down the glare and blends better with the interior. I've thought about making insulation panels using upholstery fabric. I could use any fabric. It wouldn't need to be solid black. I could have stripes, paisley, floral, whatever. When we get the JT, it will be my wife's DD. We could always use some of our son's old military uniforms to make panels. He's in the USAF.

Something like this might look good in a Sarge JT with black interior and black painted roof.

Jeep Gladiator Painting the Inside of the freedom top, and touch up of outside s-l300

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Plasti dip will work just clean the inside real well and wipe with denatured alcohol .. you can install when it dries but be careful as it will scratch easy until it cures in a week..

Don’t think you need to worry about heat retention or Absorbing.. the white is on the interior not the exterior... also might darken the interior a little and lighting won’t be as bright..

Feel free to drink your favorite beverage as you work.. it helps with the lines looking straight ..

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
I painted the inside satin black. Used the ACE brand Krylon equivalent. Used a wax and grease remover to clean prior to paints (I keep a gallon of that stuff around all the time). I masked off the spots that the HotHeads are sticking to and didn't really bother painting the areas that they cover. Very pleased with the results. Looks much nicer than stock.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I painted the inside satin black. Used the ACE brand Krylon equivalent. Used a wax and grease remover to clean prior to paints (I keep a gallon of that stuff around all the time). I masked off the spots that the HotHeads are sticking to and didn't really bother painting the areas that they cover. Very pleased with the results. Looks much nicer than stock.
Pictures please?
Sponsored