First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Talkin Smak? A bit :) But realize my driver's license says Tennessee on it too. I actually reside just outside Memphis but need to remain in Colorado to sell a home and prevent teenage mutiny until they graduate from Highschool.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
As a native of “The Greenest State in the Land of the Free” I will point out that elevation change NOT total elevation is what makes a mountain. My elevation in Nashville is <600 ft and the highest point in TN, Clingman’s Dome is >6600 that is a dramatic difference. The mountains in the east sneak up on you because of the gradual elevation change. I have traveled the entire country and my career affords me the choice to live anywhere I want to and we chose TN as home. So welcome to TN and if your only reference to TN terrain is west of the TN River I’d like for you to take the short drive to East TN and enjoy they original mountain living communities of the US.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
I spent a couple weeks in Chattanooga rock climbing in the 1990's and went up into the Smokeys from Knoxville last spring. Barely touched exploring around Kentucky Lake this summer, and deposited my oldest son at UT Knoxville two weeks ago. But that is the limit of what I have done so far other than drive through "Greenville", and "Greenville" and "Greenville" (maybe that's why I can't see the darn Mountains in TN???). The other 55 years I have been in Utah and Colorado where I can see forever so my perspective on elevation and gain is far different I am sure. I live at 6800 feet in CO and often get out to 12,000 + in the mountains here. I really am looking forward to exploring Tennessee and the surrounding areas. Damn, I derailed this thread. Sorry OP.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Every thread gets derailed eventually. I love the west and the high elevations. I have a 5300 mile trip planned for next summer. We will leave from Nashville and head west to the Grand Canyon, then on over to Death Valley, Couple days in Yosemite, then over to Yellowstone and finally finish up at Mt Rushmore. So this time next year I will have some valuable info on 37s with .410 gear. As it is now I have 4200 miles in that configuration

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Every thread gets derailed eventually. I love the west and the high elevations. I have a 5300 mile trip planned for next summer. We will leave from Nashville and head west to the Grand Canyon, then on over to Death Valley, Couple days in Yosemite, then over to Yellowstone and finally finish up at Mt Rushmore. So this time next year I will have some valuable info on 37s with .410 gear. As it is now I have 4200 miles in that configuration
I'm just south Yellowstone a couple hours.
Add some moab to your list it's worth the drive

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
If we have time I will. It is already a three week trip so adding to the agenda is probably going to mean a second trip

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I took my LE with 37s on the factory wheels and .410 gears to the mountains this past weekend. I towed my enclosed trailer because the wife has an “antique problem.” The Gladiator pulls the small trailer effortlessly, it is only 1k lb empty. We do have mountains here! The fire of 2016 cleared a lot of the trees that seemed to soften the terrain a little. Without the trees you can see just how rugged it is. Also got to hang out with the Smoky Mountain elk herd.

754B45AA-EF60-4664-858A-86ABEF7F2F24.jpeg

E00193C0-7313-486D-8DBF-81B1CC541E54.jpeg

1D9AD7FC-23ED-4499-9F97-1021EDBCA96C.jpeg

4658E972-70F9-43A0-858A-FA2290AAA488.jpeg

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
We do have mountains here! Also got to hang out with the Smoky Mountain elk herd.
Awesome! My two favorite things. Mountains and elk in them...

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
When we stopped at the field with the elk in it a lady pulled up a picture that she took earlier in the day of an 8x8 full grown bull. He wasn't a 1000 pounder like I saw on the Mescalero Reservation in NM but he was a good 700-800. I was trying to convince my wife that we should get up early and drive 2 hours out of the way to get a view of a bull but she vetoed and we slept in and came home.

Reactions: G8R

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
My whole purpose in purchasing and modding out my Gladiator is for the express purpose of hauling my carcass into the mountains so I can chase Elk. Taking 2 weeks off this October with 4 tags to fill (2 of them for Elk).

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody doing something basic, like changing gears? :LOL:

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
My whole purpose in purchasing and modding out my Gladiator is for the express purpose of hauling my carcass into the mountains so I can chase Elk. Taking 2 weeks off this October with 4 tags to fill (2 of them for Elk).
Nice! What mods are you looking at? I tried to get an elk 2 years ago in Northern Idaho. No luck, but I'll probably go back in a year or so. Bow hunting is hard!

Reactions: G8R

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
Nice! What mods are you looking at? I tried to get an elk 2 years ago in Northern Idaho. No luck, but I'll probably go back in a year or so. Bow hunting is hard!
My mods are pretty much done now. My gladiator is ready to go. It is essentially a stock Rubicon with my mods focus being on carrying my gear and recover (winch). I will be adding a shell (RLD) sometime later this year.
Sponsored