Sponsored

Anyone building (planning) to build a Jeep Wayout?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I haven’t had the time...between retiring and closing out my main business and my younger son getting married in a little over a month my honey do list keeps growing daily!
I'd really be interested in hearing about your experiences doing this kind of safari if you ever find the time. My son and I were watching the Discovery show Serengeti last night and Jeep is giving away a $20k safari as part of their sponsorship of that series. My son turned to me and said, "Wait, you can camp over night out there?" lol. I asked him if he thought it would be cool to do an overland safari and he said it would be. Convincing the wife of that however is another story!
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
.....As I've done more and more overland style trips, I think I'd do a hard shell RTT if I was to do it again and money was not an issue. Being able to hard mount my solar panel on top of it would make life much easier. It would also be much easier and quicker to setup. While my soft side RTT only takes about 5 mins or so to setup and break down, 1 to 2 mins would be much better. lol

One drawback to having the RTT mount on a half rack is that you have to come up with another way to mount and deploy an awning. I've only tried one once on all my trips, but there have been times it would have been nice to have a nice one to setup.

I'm not sure how many different options we are really going to end up with for bed racks. There is the Leitner and Fab Four racks that are totally different, but most of the others are pretty much the erector set style. There are several of those out there, but there is not a lot different about them. I think it was on this forum where JCR stated why they did not follow the shape of the cab on their rack and it makes sense, so I'm not sure how many racks we will see that do follow it.

Very well stated.
If it wasn’t for dust control and security I would be getting a Leitner Rack System...the problem is when you roll into town outside the US for provisions etc. you tend to draw a lot of attention and not having to have someone watch your stuff when you go shopping is a big plus.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'd really be interested in hearing about your experiences doing this kind of safari if you ever find the time. My son and I were watching the Discovery show Serengeti last night and Jeep is giving away a $20k safari as part of their sponsorship of that series. My son turned to me and said, "Wait, you can camp over night out there?" lol. I asked him if he thought it would be cool to do an overland safari and he said it would be. Convincing the wife of that however is another story!
HA!

We watch that show too. I will tell you a little secret...it can be a lot less expensive than $20K if you don’t have to sleep in a luxury tented camp with white linen tablecloths and drink champagne.
Since you on this thread I’m assuming that sleeping in a rtt is not a big deal...we have made several trips with a Swiss company by the name of Geko Expeditions (www.gekoexpeditions.com). Their clients are mostly Europeans but if you don’t mind a little language struggle (or if you speak French) it is a great way to go...their trip costs about $6-7K for two weeks for 2 people. The truck (they call them cars over there) rental is about $22-2500) and then you have airfare which is $1-2K PP. you buy your food their at pretty normal prices just like you would at home...we share cooking chores for dinner and breakfast & lunch are on our own if we are out in the bush.

It’s great having an experienced guide with you who has taken care of all the logistics like permits etc which can be daunting. No two trips are the same and depend on wildlife, weather etc. but both ot the ones we did were absolutely fantastic. Here are a couple of pics from our trip to Botswana...
40A16318-127A-469A-A218-5B7C23E679B6.jpeg
3CE28219-927D-42BF-8AAD-BCB361789801.jpeg

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
USAF Security Forces
PCOR setup. If you want a Hard shell RTT I reccomend James Baroud. They are about 76" long so not a ton of overhang and still quick deploy benifits of a hardshell. Packing up the flip-out canvas tents sucks if you haven't owned one before just save your money trust me and get a hard shell hahaha

XO PCOR W CANOPY 37S.jpg
PCOR TRAY.jpg

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I am going to wait for the Gator Diesel and do the PCOR setup... I had a question maybe @smlobx can answer it - does it cost a lot of $$ to drive your rig in Europe/aAfrica/Asia - obviously you have to get across the pond somehow but if you bring it back would that be a reasonable cost? Or would it cost as much as a new vehicle LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
One drawback to having the RTT mount on a half rack is that you have to come up with another way to mount and deploy an awning. I've only tried one once on all my trips, but there have been times it would have been nice to have a nice one to setup.

Not sure what the downsides would be if the awning was about a foot lower. Well, maybe taller folks would have to bend a bit but I think there are benefits to a slightly lower awning.

And I gotta believe there's a way to mount this up higher with a shorter rack (referencing pic below).

So far I like Jeep's concept rack best - very clean and strong. Since they showed it I believe there's a good chance they or someone else will come out with one. We'll see what SEMA has to offer...

ti7o0pyhs9za02ua8cyj-png.png

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
USAF Security Forces
I am going to wait for the Gator Diesel and do the PCOR setup... I had a question maybe @smlobx can answer it - does it cost a lot of $$ to drive your rig in Europe/aAfrica/Asia - obviously you have to get across the pond somehow but if you bring it back would that be a reasonable cost? Or would it cost as much as a new vehicle LOL

It is worth it if you have the time to spend out here. Hit Morocco, Pyrenees, Alps, Balkans, Scottish NC500, Iceland and Nordkapp for sure worth the money even with increased gas costs (average about 6 a gallon). There is a bigger community than people realise out here as well
some awesome folks doing incredible things. For a one month trip not worth the change but coming out for 3 months in the summer would be kickass you could hit probably half of the hotspots I listed. If you had a year or more of time then totally do it.

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
USAF Security Forces
Not sure what the downsides would be if the awning was about a foot lower. Well, maybe taller folks would have to bend a bit but I think there are benefits to a slightly lower awning.

And I gotta believe there's a way to mount this up higher with a shorter rack (referencing pic below).

So far I like Jeep's concept rack best - very clean and strong. Since they showed it I believe there's a good chance they or someone else will come out with one. We'll see what SEMA has to offer...

ti7o0pyhs9za02ua8cyj-png.png

Patriot Campers has this hydrolic strut and similar camp trailer companies adopt a similar method. Probably the best route. you lift the strut that the awning is attached to when stopped to deploy the awning. you would loose capability still though as a long awning would block a door. I will be running a cab height bed rack for this reason as I have not found a way around it and want to use my big batwing awning off the JK

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm planning to do an overland build eventually. If I had two trucks, I would have an open rack on one, but since I live in reality land...... I'm going with an alu-cab fully enclosed top. The JT bed is just too small. Even my recent trip to fix my deer stand, I ran out of space under the tonneau quickly and had to put tools in the cab.

I need more weather protected space. I like @smlobx ideas a lot, so I'll probably copy him, lol.

I totally dig gator, so that with a bunch of black accenting will be my look. I don't own an RTT yet and can't afford one till maybe next year. Got a batwing awning this year that I'll mount on the alu-cab.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's builds come alive.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have not shipped our truck overseas but from what I’ve been able to gather if you plan on a multi month (6+) trip it might be cheaper to ship yours vs. renting a kitted out truck. As I mentioned in another post it cost us about $2200-2500 for a two week rental which I thought was a great deal. Shipping can cost $4000 and up each way from what I understand plus the hassle and delays you’ll inevitably have to deal with.

In Africa we used these guys for our rental and the trucks were fantastic..

www.bushlore.com

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
PCOR setup. If you want a Hard shell RTT I reccomend James Baroud. They are about 76" long so not a ton of overhang and still quick deploy benifits of a hardshell. Packing up the flip-out canvas tents sucks if you haven't owned one before just save your money trust me and get a hard shell hahaha

The PCOR system looks really sweet, but I personally can't justify $15k entry price for the functionality it gives. I looked at the Jame Baroud tents back before I bought my soft side and they are nice. I just went to their site again this morning and all of their hard side/top tents appear to be discontinued. The only thing you can actually order is their soft side fold out tent.

The problem with an awning on a half rack is that you are not going to be able to walk under it. The JT is only 6'3" tall (stock trim) and if we use the JCR half rack as an example, it is roughly 10-11 inches below that. So your awning would only be about 5'5" above the ground. I'm sure a way to mount it at the roof line height could be found, it is just something else to figure out can could cause other issues depending on what RTT you have.

The half rack even has issues with the fold out RTT I have. It has windows on the three non-door sides and the cab would probably block one of those windows from opening when mounted on the half rack.

The best option would be a half rack that could be raised to a full rack when you want to setup camp. I saw a few of these at Expo West in 2018, but none were for the JT at that time of course.

As to the Wayout rack, it's possible someone will make one like it. I'm just not holding my breath. there have always been a ton of cool concept ideas that should be easy for someone to make, they just never seem to materialize. In the case of this rack, I think shipping would be the deal breaker on it.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
I'm planning to do an overland build eventually. If I had two trucks, I would have an open rack on one, but since I live in reality land...... I'm going with an alu-cab fully enclosed top. The JT bed is just too small. Even my recent trip to fix my deer stand, I ran out of space under the tonneau quickly and had to put tools in the cab.

I need more weather protected space. I like @smlobx ideas a lot, so I'll probably copy him, lol.

I totally dig gator, so that with a bunch of black accenting will be my look. I don't own an RTT yet and can't afford one till maybe next year. Got a batwing awning this year that I'll mount on the alu-cab.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's builds come alive.
I totally agree with you. When I moved from MD/DC to OH, I realized how small the bed was and now I know why people drive the big trucks LOL.

Yeah, my plan is to have a dedicated rig for overlanding - that is the most practical cuz I don't want to be driving that rig to the mall hehe. So, patiently waiting for the Gator Diesel... unless of course I fall in love with the new Defender :giggle:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
that is the most practical cuz I don't want to be driving that rig to the mall hehe
Why not? It'll look badass!

Other than the packing/unpacking being a pain in the butt, i'm hoping I can just hoist the RTT and Alu-Cab off in one piece. I think the JT will look best with just a tonneau cover on for daily use, BUT..............

I'll probably do that 1 or 2 times, and then be like, screw it, i'm driving her like she's meant to be (all tricked out for offroad ability).

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The PCOR system looks really sweet, but I personally can't justify $15k entry price for the functionality it gives. I looked at the Jame Baroud tents back before I bought my soft side and they are nice. I just went to their site again this morning and all of their hard side/top tents appear to be discontinued. The only thing you can actually order is their soft side fold out tent.

The problem with an awning on a half rack is that you are not going to be able to walk under it. The JT is only 6'3" tall (stock trim) and if we use the JCR half rack as an example, it is roughly 10-11 inches below that. So your awning would only be about 5'5" above the ground. I'm sure a way to mount it at the roof line height could be found, it is just something else to figure out can could cause other issues depending on what RTT you have.

The half rack even has issues with the fold out RTT I have. It has windows on the three non-door sides and the cab would probably block one of those windows from opening when mounted on the half rack.

The best option would be a half rack that could be raised to a full rack when you want to setup camp. I saw a few of these at Expo West in 2018, but none were for the JT at that time of course.

As to the Wayout rack, it's possible someone will make one like it. I'm just not holding my breath. there have always been a ton of cool concept ideas that should be easy for someone to make, they just never seem to materialize. In the case of this rack, I think shipping would be the deal breaker on it.
Appreciate your comments. While it would be nice to be able to walk under the awning I don't think I'd mind having to bend over a bit. A lower height would be OK especially for sitting under it (shade here in the SW deserts is key) and I don't plan on cooking or kitchen-ing under it. I'd much rather have it low than have a rack that raises up as I could see issues with that working well over time.

My use would be with a hard shell RTT which is different than your soft side/top. I'm shocked to hear about James Baroud discontinuing their hard top tents - can't imagine why they'd have done that as I only heard great things about their products and from what I can tell their sales were good.

Don't know if you've seen the ACE Bed Rack/Basket (what they call their "Upper Decker"). It's got some good features and I'm posting it here primarily because they show it with a rack on top supporting a RTT at a great height (even with the Gladiator's roof level):

acejtud-u-jpg.jpg

acejtud-v-jpg.jpg

You can see their thread on this forum here: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ack-basket-prototype.19220/page-5#post-329464
Sponsored