Wild JT sightings

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
https://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-jeep-wrangler-is-nearly-outselling-the-to-1825738359

And from May of last year, wrangler sales almost bested Camry but still set an internal record anyway. March and April 2018 saw almost 60k units sold with JK and JL families on the lots. Wonder what the attrition rate and new eligible driver rates are, because it sounds like jeep is going to be in a bad bad way once the MY20JL come on line.

If not enough jeeps are leaving the pool and not enough new drivers are entering the pool they run a risk of having to idle production to let the backlog run out while taking a bath on stale inventory at the same time.
Sponsored

Mkcatl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...p-sales-are-in-the-breakdown-lane-11567613567

“Go anywhere” is a brilliant motto for Jeep, Fiat Chrysler’s sport-utility brand that until recently was booming. Unfortunately, one of its rugged, iconic models isn’t going anywhere.

According to an analysis by car-search site iSeecars, the two models of vehicle with the largest number of 2018 models still on U.S. auto-dealer lots are the Jeep Wrangler and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. The company appears to have ramped up production excessively. In the case of the Wrangler Unlimited, nearly a fifth of those sitting on lots were 2018 models. While the company wouldn’t comment on dealer issues, the figures don’t bode well at all for the sales of 2020 models now available to buy, much less any remaining 2019 inventory.

The most recent figures available from Fiat Chrysler itself are from June as the company—perhaps not surprisingly—recently stopped the practice of releasing monthly sales. At that point it had sold 116,985 Wranglers in the U.S., down 12% compared with a year earlier. That came despite discounts of as much as $9,500, or 22%, off of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price reported back in April by CarsDirect.

Before the company can turn around Jeep sales, it has a steep mountain of its own vehicles to climb.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
https://jalopnik.com/there-are-a-crazy-amount-of-2018-jeep-wranglers-still-o-1837792156

https://www.iseecars.com/new-car-deals-study

“
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the classic Jeep Wrangler comprise the top two spots on the list, each with more than four times the average amount of 2018 model year inventory. “Jeep’s Wrangler Unlimited and Wrangler models were redesigned in 2018, and with that redesign came respective $3,550 and $3,950 price increases,” said Ly. “Despite these vehicles hitting record sales numbers, there is a surplus because too many were produced in Fiat Chrysler’s Ohio plant, which had double the capacity of the previous design’s plants.”

In an attempt to move these 2018 Jeep Wranglers off the lots, dealers are offering generous incentives. As an example, a Jeep dealer lists a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a $7,000 savings off MSRP in addition to a $1,000 cash allowance for shoppers to put toward their vehicle purchase.
“
Thanks.

Yeah, not a good thing to have all those on the lot. I wonder how the Gladiators are doing....because there is a sense that, after the rush for the hardest-core buyers got them, it seems like it might be slowing. After what seemed like an impossibility to get them...dealers quickly went to having a bunch of them.

We all knew Jeep had to peak tho, assuming they have. Sort of like the Camry or F150...your goals eventually have to be just getting new generations on-board more than reaching for more piece of the existing pie, which they sort of did with the Gladiator. There's only so many new cars in America sold a year...eventually your slice is what it is. And there was a strong fad movement into Jeeps the last 6-8yrs...mall crawlers and soccer moms everywhere (not to mention the ricer group), so we knew that had to slow down due to the ruggedness of a DD Jeep and the ricer groups transitioning into the new fad vehicles. At least thats how I always felt...For your average car buyer the wind noise, constant nit picky problems and lack of luxury really limits its buyer sustainment with people who would otherwise be in a crossover or 4Runner for their groceries and soccer balls. Thats said the JL/JT really does ride very well outside the wind noise.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Alot of folks near me driving gladiators already, but I live in area that is mostly trucks and SUVs. Plus high average income in my town so I figured these would sell well. The jeep popularity has been crazy to see. My first jeep was "weird" to people because they were unfamiliar with them often. Hadn't known someone with one, been in one, etc. Now they are everywhere! I have been thinking of picking up a lightly used JK 2 door manual soon. Maybe this will bode well timing wise for me if new ones are slumping on lots. idk. What is a ricer version of jeep?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
It also doesn’t help there is typically very little change model year to model year so what’s the real difference between any two? The JLU and JT I’ve driven are worth the difference in cost for ride quality and appointments as compared to my JK but it’s not enough for me to jump now that the all in costs for what I want are as high as they are.

Ultimately I think they waited too long on the JL and JT roll outs, the JLis stuck in a sea of JK that are not to die any time soon and the JT dropped right into the refreshed Tacoma, new ranger, newly beefed up Colorado, about to drop baby bronco and possible ranger raptor. On the full size side the new power wagon is wonderful and the rebel is a hooning rig right from the start, older raptors are now kinda plentiful. Being a “convertible” is cool but is it cool enough to draw sales in the toy truck market?

This is akin to offering my kids too many options for lunch, no matter how much I try to tell them about how the braised poultry medallions enrobed in ground traditional ancient grains and basted in delicately aromatic fruit extracts, accompanied by a potage of pomme d’amore. Ultimately they see that chicken nuggets with ketchup is just chicken nuggets and with ketchup and still can’t decide if it’s gonna be nuggets or a hot dog or perhaps just left over spaghetti.

Toy truck buyers are shopping for toys and to toy market is pretty plump. Jeep buyers want jeeps and savy Jeep buyers know the pricing game.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
What is a ricer version of jeep?
All show, no go. Light bars, chinese crap all over it....back in the 90s the kids would show up in moms Civic and try and race real muscle cars or just watch. Seems like those peoples kids are filling up the malls these days.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
In my photo my Jeep was cruising by with its plow on, looking for some wide parking. Their wide track axles had me miffed because they took up the space my blade would go.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I'm actually seeing more and more JT's in the northern Atlanta burbs every week. For a while I was seeing the same 2-3 that must be local and just this week, I saw 2-3 completely different ones, just on my daily commute.

I have talked to a few JL owners that say they would've bought a JT if it had been available when they purchased JL's.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Saw one "In the wild" on Facebook. Pretty sure a Gladiator isn't the appropriate vehicle for a penny pinching article.

Screenshot_20190905-154241.png

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/jeep-sales-are-in-the-breakdown-lane-11567613567

So according to the WSJ, citing their source, a fifth of MY18 JLU are still on lots as well as a host of MY18JL.

I read this as in typical Jeep fashion, Jeep dicked around far too long on bringing the JL to market and way too long on bringing the JT to market and missed the lead up to Peak Jeep which is where we are now. Everyone who wants a Jeep has a Jeep, and with no clearly visible pathway to draw people out of their JK/JKU, JT sales are shackled with a high price point and dealers being typical dealers; is the the 2020 Jeep Edsel?
It's because the 2.0L turbo is a piece of shyte.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These? Not a lick of dirty or trail rash or any signs they’ve ever left asphalt.

95A41488-6605-4A67-841B-6AB1596C193E.jpeg
Well, speak of the devil. Never noticed this in town before. Found it tonight! I am guessing despite the winch, those color matched wheels haven't been that far out of town....

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pic attached

20190905_173037.jpg

20190905_173037.jpg

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors
Saw 4 yesterday in Highlands Ranch, CO within 30 minutes of each other. Saw one identical to mine (black Sport S soft top) on Friday leaving work. To the point here that I see at least one on almost every errand I run. I get super excited only to have them either not see me or they are ignoring me

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Here in Michigan, specifically Clarkston, I have an inverted doppelganger running around. both Fircracker Red, but her black top to my red and her red fenders to my black. lolol Here is my JKUR that I traded in on last years Moab trip.

IMG_0931.JPG

View attachment 32322

IMG_5806.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0