Sponsored

Anyone building (planning) to build a Jeep Wayout?

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
@WhatExit? which hardshell tent are you looking to use? The only one I’m aware of that won’t overhang the bed is the iKamper for short beds that isn’t out yet. It’s a hard shell but folds out like a regular soft RTT in order to get a big enough sleep platform. I’d love to hear of other options if you know of any.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
@WhatExit? which hardshell tent are you looking to use? The only one I’m aware of that won’t overhang the bed is the iKamper for short beds that isn’t out yet. It’s a hard shell but folds out like a regular soft RTT in order to get a big enough sleep platform. I’d love to hear of other options if you know of any.
I don't recall ever talking about not having an overhang but I understand it would happen if the hardshell is not mounted above the Jeep's roof.

As for a hardshell I like - here's one a lot Skycamp 2.0 - but I've got to learn more about it...

ikamper31124_1800x1000_setup_1700x.progressive.jpg

ikamper_2704_1800x1000_1700x.progressive.jpg

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘00 LR Disco II, ‘17 Toyota Sienna
I don't recall ever talking about not having an overhang but I understand it would happen if the hardshell is not mounted above the Jeep's roof.

As for a hardshell I like - here's one a lot Skycamp 2.0 - but I've got to learn more about it...

ikamper31124_1800x1000_setup_1700x.progressive.jpg

ikamper_2704_1800x1000_1700x.progressive.jpg

https://www.ikamper.com/pages/skycamp
Those look really nice. They’re coming out with a shorter version for short beds like ours. Last Line of Defense on YouTube is testing it on his channel.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
I like your thinking and I agree with you on the things JEEP put on the Wayout Concept including the Steelie wheels, the color and the bed right - good idea but not what I'd want either.

I've been thinking about a RTT (hardshell popup vs. flipover tent) and how it'd be great if it was lower and, as you said, have the top of the RTT at the top of the cab - it would reduce drag and best of all for me, it would put the RTT closer to the ground.

I believe there will be multiple choices/options for bed racks. I'd like to see something lightweight with a slick design that follows the shape of the cab and roofline. Seems like we're on the same page. And that makes me believe these ideas and issues will be addressed by the aftermarket.
Maybe someone will build a bed rack that has an adjustable height so you can have the best of both worlds. I am no structural engineer or designer so I am not sure if its feasible. I know one can be built but will it be sound. @BuiltRight

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate your comments. While it would be nice to be able to walk under the awning I don't think I'd mind having to bend over a bit. A lower height would be OK especially for sitting under it (shade here in the SW deserts is key) and I don't plan on cooking or kitchen-ing under it. I'd much rather have it low than have a rack that raises up as I could see issues with that working well over time.

My use would be with a hard shell RTT which is different than your soft side/top. I'm shocked to hear about James Baroud discontinuing their hard top tents - can't imagine why they'd have done that as I only heard great things about their products and from what I can tell their sales were good.

Don't know if you've seen the ACE Bed Rack/Basket (what they call their "Upper Decker"). It's got some good features and I'm posting it here primarily because they show it with a rack on top supporting a RTT at a great height (even with the Gladiator's roof level):

You can see their thread on this forum here: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ack-basket-prototype.19220/page-5#post-329464
Thanks for the link. I had seen the prototype photos on their site, but missed the finished product announcement. Like you, I really hope they end up offering a water and dust proof version.

I think I might personally be fine with part of a hard shell RTT going over the back part of the cab. There are some out there that are sloped to be more aerodynamic

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
Maybe someone will build a bed rack that has an adjustable height so you can have the best of both worlds. I am no structural engineer or designer so I am not sure if its feasible. I know one can be built but will it be sound. @BuiltRight
Thule and Yakima have adjustable height racks that work with the JT

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for bed rack options so I can run a clamshell roof top tent like the Wayout - having storage in the bed with the RTT is very attractive

Anyone seen bed racks as tall as the top of the cab for the Gladiator?

I'm hoping there'll be some on display at SEMA in November

ti7o0pyhs9za02ua8cyj-png.png

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm looking for bed rack options so I can run a clamshell roof top tent like the Wayout - having storage in the bed with the RTT is very attractive

you mean like these?
20190921_095115-jpg.jpg

20190921_095108-jpg.jpg

EDIT: Oh, my bad, saw you said top of the cab...... Don't think i've seen a bed rack that high, but something like Leitner you can bolt anything to pretty easily.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

That's cool - thanks for posting it. The flip-over soft top RTT's have a smaller closed footprint than the hardshell RTT's.

I want a hardshell Roof Top Tent - I'm not a fan of wet, dirty material and the closed big box on top of the vehicle. But that's just me

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's cool - thanks for posting it. The flip-over soft top RTT's have a smaller closed footprint than the hardshell RTT's.

I want a hardshell Roof Top Tent - I'm not a fan of wet, dirty material and the closed big box on top of the vehicle. But that's just me
Hardshell one is also more aerodynamic, I'm guessing.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy

iKamper is coming out with a hardshell Skycamp for short beds

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have a Roofnest Eagle and it has performed beautifully and it is a very comfortable place to sleep...

https://roofnest.com/

I have used the typical fold open RTT and they have some advantages but the biggest reason for us choosing to go in another direction was the ease of use. When you pull into camp after a long day of exploring I can deploy the Roofnest literally in 30 seconds. And then again in the morning I can pull it down in about a minute...very nice.

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
We have a Roofnest Eagle and it has performed beautifully and it is a very comfortable place to sleep...

https://roofnest.com/

I have used the typical fold open RTT and they have some advantages but the biggest reason for us choosing to go in another direction was the ease of use. When you pull into camp after a long day of exploring I can deploy the Roofnest literally in 30 seconds. And then again in the morning I can pull it down in about a minute...very nice.
I'm planning on the Roofnest (or Tepui Hybox)....how are you currently mounting?

100 times this. I would love that rack (or any roof cab height rack) in the sub 1000 would be nice....the Leitner is nice (and as far as I can tell the only roof height right now) but don't love the drilling for the rear two supports.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm planning on the Roofnest (or Tepui Hybox)....how are you currently mounting?

100 times this. I would love that rack (or any roof cab height rack) in the sub 1000 would be nice....the Leitner is nice (and as far as I can tell the only roof height right now) but don't love the drilling for the rear two supports.

I currently have my Roofnest mounted on my Offroad trailer until I can get an Alu-Cab canopy for the Glad..
066D10ED-4924-4E51-9D38-8E54485135E6.jpeg
Sponsored