Sponsored

Gladiator Rubcon vs Tacoma TRD Bro and ZR2 Bison

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
This one's a great read. If you've never done the Mojave Road, you really should.

https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/t...on-vs-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-comparison-test/

There’s a lot we like about the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, our second-place finisher. The Rubicon model’s long list of off-road hardware brings a tremendous amount of capability to the segment. We also loved the smooth power delivery from the Jeep’s V-6, its well-geared transmission, and its ridiculous low-range crawl ratio. Its massive cabin was nice, too, even if it was loud and lacked in storage cubbies up front.

Two factors held the Gladiator back from the win in this test. Armored or not, the Jeep’s propensity to drag its belly over obstacles is disconcerting when you’re a hundred miles (160 km) outside of civilization; we’d want larger tires and a suspension lift to attempt to address its test-worst breakover angle. And then there’s the Gladiator’s price; when optioned up comparably to the Toyota and Chevrolet like our truck was, the Gladiator stickers for an eye-watering $60,675 USD. The Gladiator is good, but not almost $11,000 USD better than our winner.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Only two things I'll point out regarding their comments:

1) The Gladiator easily allows 35" tires, which the other two don't. Hence, the breakover angle isn't as much of a big deal as they claim.

2) The Gladiator is more expensive, but it's also has features, build design, and options the other two don't, AND it has removable top and doors.

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Only two things I'll point out regarding their comments:

1) The Gladiator easily allows 35" tires, which the other two don't. Hence, the breakover angle isn't as much of a big deal as they claim.

2) The Gladiator is more expensive, but it's also has features, build design, and options the other two don't, AND it has removable top and doors.
ALSO, they are quoting Sticker price. If anyone buys a Rubi at sticker then they just don't know how to shop.

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They quote the price as a deterrent to the other vehicle. If anyone pays sticker or more for a rubicon doesnt know how to shop. NO one pays sticker or more.

lukem80

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'd own a new Tacoma 2016+ if it still had the 4.0 motor. that 3.5 is garbage and the back seat is crazy small. but the IFS rides mo better than a jeep

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I looked at a taco and I do not fit in one of those. Then i put the car seat in the back and behind the passenger and the passenger seat had to go almost all the way up to the dash. That was the crew cab model too! Who the hell are those made for?!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at a taco and I do not fit in one of those. Then i put the car seat in the back and behind the passenger and the passenger seat had to go almost all the way up to the dash. That was the crew cab model too! Who the hell are those made for?!
I had the same experience with the colorado/frontier/tacoma. Both my boys fit perfectly in the back seat of the gladiator. The JT is %100 superior

Sponsored

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
I loved my taco it’s an amazing truck but really missed the functionality of a Jeep and when they made a truck and a Jeep together I had no choice regardless of price

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I'd own a new Tacoma 2016+ if it still had the 4.0 motor. that 3.5 is garbage and the back seat is crazy small. but the IFS rides mo better than a jeep
As a former owner of a 2016 Tacoma TRD Offroad all I can say is word. The 3.5 engine was my biggest complaint on the newer Tacoma's. I had an 08 FJ with the 4.0L great engine. The 3.5 while it did get better mileage had zero power off the line then it would "hit" at about 35-40 mph and then take off...totally wrong "power band" for an off road vehicle.
I know on paper the Toyota 3.5 v6 in the 1/4 mile is faster than either the Jeep or the old Toyota 4.0 but I can guarantee 0-40 mph both will smoke the 3.5 off the line.
That and the "build quality" while not horrible on the interior was basic and ok. I thought the older Tacoma 's and FJ were put together better and the Jeep has a much nicer interior (although it should its more money).
Sponsored