My EVO/Teraflex lift

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
So first of all let me start by saying I am one of the few who thinks that the stock Rubicon suspension sucks. Its way too soft and the shocks allow far too much sponginess in the rear. It had to go..

I tried holding out to see what others will have to offer such as Teraflex, MC etc but I got to the point that I was hating the drive so much that I decided to put together my own system vs going with a kit from the 2-3 that are available so far. Following is what I went with which is a mix of EVO and Teraflex.

EVO 2.5” coils and install kit. This is the most basic 2.5” kit they offer. Just springs, bumpstop extensions, brake lines and extended sway bar disconnects and hardware to install.

Teraflex Alpine IR Front Trackbar

Teraflex Alpine IR Front Upper and Lower Control Arms

Teraflex Falcon 2.1 shocks.

Install was typical, about 4-5 hrs or so with no real issues other than a few WTF moments with EVO’s directions/parts list. I had to drill out the swaybars to 1/2” after realizing the only way any of the hardware supplied could be correct would be to open up the holes. Even then the bolts are marginally long enough to be fully through the tension/lock nuts. Overall its an easy install.

The EVO 2.5” coils are exactly that, 2.5” lift.. for the rear. The front gave me exactly 4.5”!! I called EVO to see if I can expect it to settle and was told no. They list their lift heights (accd to the person I just spoke with on the phone about this) based on the overall lift in the rear vs the front like many other manufacturers. Most others would call this a 4.5” lift instead of a 2.5”. Its more than I wanted for sure but I do like the look and especially how it rides now. But the ride I attribute to the Falcon shocks which is firm to my liking. Firm yes, but strangely I don’t feel many of smaller bumps or ripples in the asphalt that I did before. The ride is significantly improved in my opinion, in fact I will say that the ride is on par or even slightly better than my F150 lariat. I have not had a chance to go offroad yet but will fully test it next month in NM, UT and CO.

I have not decided yet if I’ll keep these coils or swap them out later. Its tall for my 35’s and have no desire for 37’s. I am certain that I will replace the rear control arms when Teraflex has them available for the rear though, the front now flexes effortlessly compared to the rear it feels.

E4054DB3-7BCC-4628-B50B-E0CE25002196.jpeg
C3FD1047-5E7C-4279-B9D5-C9AA3E9B8B26.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Thanks for sharing! I also installed the Evo 2.5" recently and was surprised by the gain. Really happy you shared your thoughts on the Falcon 2.1s paired with the Evo springs. I look forward to your off-road report!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door/2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So first of all let me start by saying I am one of the few who thinks that the stock Rubicon suspension sucks. Its way too soft and the shocks allow far too much sponginess in the rear. It had to go..

I tried holding out to see what others will have to offer such as Teraflex, MC etc but I got to the point that I was hating the drive so much that I decided to put together my own system vs going with a kit from the 2-3 that are available so far. Following is what I went with which is a mix of EVO and Teraflex.

EVO 2.5” coils and install kit. This is the most basic 2.5” kit they offer. Just springs, bumpstop extensions, brake lines and extended sway bar disconnects and hardware to install.

Install was typical, about 4-5 hrs or so with no real issues other than a few WTF moments with EVO’s directions/parts list. I had to drill out the swaybars to 1/2” after realizing the only way any of the hardware supplied could be correct would be to open up the holes. Even then the bolts are marginally long enough to be fully through the tension/lock nuts. Overall its an easy install.

The EVO 2.5” coils are exactly that, 2.5” lift.. for the front. The rear gave me exactly 4.5”!! I called EVO to see if I can expect it to settle and was told no. They list their lift heights (accd to the person I just spoke with on the phone about this) based on the overall lift in the rear vs the front like many other manufacturers. Most others would call this a 4.5” lift instead of a 2.5”. Its more than I wanted for sure but I do like the look and especially how it rides now. But the ride I attribute to the Falcon shocks which is firm to my liking. Firm yes, but strangely I don’t feel many of smaller bumps or ripples in the asphalt that I did before. The ride is significantly improved in my opinion, in fact I will say that the ride is on par or even slightly better than my F150 lariat. I have not had a chance to go offroad yet but will fully test it next month in NM, UT and CO.

I have not decided yet if I’ll keep these coils or swap them out later. Its tall for my 35’s and have no desire for 37’s. I am certain that I will replace the rear control arms when Teraflex has them available for the rear though, the front now flexes effortlessly compared to the rear it feels.

Did the basic EVO kit include the carrier bearing spacer for the rear driveshaft?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 door/2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, that too.
Thanks. Shopping for lifts. Rock Krawler out now, or piece together a bastard lift. That is what I normally do with good results. Your truck looks great, BTW.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I would have thought 2.5” in front and 4.5” in the rear would have left the truck with significant forward rake, but yours looks level. Glad to hear about the Teraflex shocks, because I also think the stock Rubi shocks are too soft and have been looking at Teraflex.

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
I would have thought 2.5” in front and 4.5” in the rear would have left the truck with significant forward rake, but yours looks level. Glad to hear about the Teraflex shocks, because I also think the stock Rubi shocks are too soft and have been looking at Teraflex.

Crap, I typed it backwards of what was in my mind so yeah, you’re right. I need to go edit..

Jeep Rookie

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
Crap, I typed it backwards of what was in my mind so yeah, you’re right. I need to go edit..
This is interesting... just got off the phone with EVO as I am purchasing the 2.5 Stage 2 Plus kit and asked specifically if it is a 2.5 lift at all corners he said yes. Asked if there were any options to get a little less in the rear and they told me no and that the Rubicons sit quite level with an equal 2.5" at all four corners.
Sounds like a bit of different info from EVO...

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
The EVO 2.5” coils are exactly that, 2.5” lift.. for the rear. The front gave me exactly 4.5”!! I called EVO to see if I can expect it to settle and was told no. They list their lift heights (accd to the person I just spoke with on the phone about this) based on the overall lift in the rear vs the front like many other manufacturers. Most others would call this a 4.5” lift instead of a 2.5”.
Usually lifts are listed as an average front/rear since most Jeeps have a front rake; it is typical that the front lifts more than the rear to level it out. Some kits actually give a bit of a reverse rake to accommodate adding a winch and heavier bumpers. Decent lifts (like EVO, for example) don't settle as they are higher quality than the cheap stuff.

Your photo looks pretty leveled though, and it looks great! :like:

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I had a MC lift 2.5' lift I put on my JK & I ended up with 3.25" they have a firm spring with a soft shock giving a great ride . they make lifts to take heavy bumpers/winches/armor/skids. so not much sagging.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase

The EVO 2.5” coils are exactly that, 2.5” lift.. for the rear. The front gave me exactly 4.5”!! I called EVO to see if I can expect it to settle and was told no. They list their lift heights (accd to the person I just spoke with on the phone about this) based on the overall lift in the rear vs the front like many other manufacturers. Most others would call this a 4.5” lift instead of a 2.5”. Its more than I wanted for sure but I do like the look and especially how it rides now. But the ride I attribute to the Falcon shocks which is firm to my liking. Firm yes, but strangely I don’t feel many of smaller bumps or ripples in the asphalt that I did before. The ride is significantly improved in my opinion, in fact I will say that the ride is on par or even slightly better than my F150 lariat. I have not had a chance to go offroad yet but will fully test it next month in NM, UT and CO.

Jeep Gladiator My EVO/Teraflex lift C3FD1047-5E7C-4279-B9D5-C9AA3E9B8B26
Jeep Gladiator My EVO/Teraflex lift C3FD1047-5E7C-4279-B9D5-C9AA3E9B8B26
I know this is an old post but I am looking at shock options for my 2.5" EVO lift. I too got a good bit more lift closer to 3.5" in the front. I also added a 3/4" spacer so am likely over 4" height at this point. Which lift size shocks did you get from falcon? I assume the 3.5"-4.5" ones?

dangerousone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old post but I am looking at shock options for my 2.5" EVO lift. I too got a good bit more lift closer to 3.5" in the front. I also added a 3/4" spacer so am likely over 4" height at this point. Which lift size shocks did you get from falcon? I assume the 3.5"-4.5" ones?
BUMP
I also am interested in Shock options, I just purchased the EVO 2.5" Enforcer Stage 2+, and right now I am starting with the Shock extensions. Very interested in which shocks folks have gone with and why?

Options
- Fox 2.0s - I have seen using either the 2-4" or the 3-4.5" shocks (Northridg4x4) has a kit with the longer Fox's
- Teraflex falcons - not sure which version or length
Sponsored