• Total voters

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
my '17 Cherokee has it. was annoying at first, now I hardly ever think about it. learned how to push the brake hard or not hard enough to engage it without thinking about it most of the time. I recently did turn it off when in stop-n-go traffic on the freeway because it became almost as annoying as the traffic. just as it turned off, traffic would creep another car length and stop, and repeat.
Sponsored

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, but I am not a fan. After driving for so many years it is ingrained into my psyche that when I’m waiting at a light and my engine shuts off, that’s a BAD thing, lol. Every time it happens (because I forgot to turn it off when I set out) I get that little jolt of adrenaline from the automatic “oh crap, what now” that goes through my system before the also almost instantaneous “oh, damn I hate that!”

So, no, not a fan. Hate it more every day. Will be purchasing the module that eliminates the problem, once I’m sitting somewhere long enough for it to be shipped to me! MPG be damned!

Mac

Hurley82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon , BMW F800GS
It's perfectly fine, I've got a manual.When the stereo is on you don't even know when it's working, can't hear it, can't feel it start, non issue.

Chazsquatch

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT
I don't mind it in conditions other than rush hour traffic. During rush hour traffic it irritates me. It shuts off right as soon as the car in front of me moves and makes me the guy holding up traffic. :facepalm: I do notice about a 1-2 mpg difference with it on vs off.

The other part I don't care for is that as soon as you let off the brake it'll start & go. Sounds good on paper but I'm not a fan of going from zero oil pressure to immediately pressing the gas pedal. I understand that there is still some residual oil still in the system but I'm still not convinced its enough. Even if you start the engine and immediately put it in drive you have a slight bit of time to get some oil pressure going before actually moving. If I'm in the city, I release pressure on the brake as soon as I see the cross traffic light turn yellow, so it has enough time to start pumping oil through the engine again before I take off.

Sponsored

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have only using it for two days and I think it is just fine, so far. It is odd to have a vehicle just die at a stop light at first.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I have only using it for two days and I think it is just fine, so far. It is odd to have a vehicle just die at a stop light at first.
I’m with this guy - two days of JT ownership and I don’t see what the fuss about the feature is all about. I’ve never had any kind of vehicle with a feature like it (one that aids in fuel economy) so it’s not like I’m used to it or anything, I just don’t think it matters that much.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree to each their own, and I'm not doubting your findings. I still hate it and if it hadn't been for the button to turn it off, I'd hate it more.
I believe the manufacturer is just playing the numbers and know that the batteries and starters are going to wear out faster with ESS than not. I worked in the vehicle maintenance department for the postal service and with a carrier vehicle starting about 25 to ,50 times a day, starting a very tired 4 cylinder engine we were happy to see a year or two out of batteries and starters. And we even had starters manufactured specific, gear reduction, and larger armeture and windings. That being said I believe they are happy with getting you through the warranty period. I just wish they would have added a memory to the system so it does not default to on.

OP
OP
AggieJeep

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with this guy - two days of JT ownership and I don’t see what the fuss about the feature is all about. I’ve never had any kind of vehicle with a feature like it (one that aids in fuel economy) so it’s not like I’m used to it or anything, I just don’t think it matters that much.
I’d be interested in your opinion after more use, time. I did not mind so much the first few days. I was truly open-minded and was interested in how well it would work.

I will admit that I have grown to hate this feature as much as I hate telemarketers. I don’t use the word “hate” lightly. Different folks have different driving environments so I can see this may work for others. This thread is not about changing anyone’s opinion. It really is to gather some stats, admittedly not a scientifically sound survey but still informative.

Like it less, like it more, just give it an update after 30 days or so if your opinion changes if possible.

Thanks for participating :clap:

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I posted previously and said basically control it with brake pressure or use the button on the dash.
I never liked it either way, but have some new info to share.
My mechanic shared with me today that the starter stress (and alternator) are absolutely concerns, but he is hearing from his shared forums that the stress on the flywheel is becoming the issue with ESS that nobody in the design office seemed to think about for any of these vehicles with ESS. Just throwing it out there, but if a guy I trust implicitly tells me this, I'll be hitting the button every time I start her up.

Sponsored

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I’d be interested in your opinion after more use, time. I did not mind so much the first few days. I was truly open-minded and was interested in how well it would work.

I will admit that I have grown to hate this feature as much as I hate telemarketers. I don’t use the word “hate” lightly. Different folks have different driving environments so I can see this may work for others. This thread is not about changing anyone’s opinion. It really is to gather some stats, admittedly not a scientifically sound survey but still informative.

Like it less, like it more, just give it an update after 30 days or so if your opinion changes if possible.

Thanks for participating :clap:
I’ll be sure to update my stance as I add more miles.

I’ve read through this thread and the other one about the same topic and have yet to see a compelling reason why people loathe it so much. Is it the brief pause after you let off the brake?

OP
OP
AggieJeep

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve read through this thread and the other one about the same topic and have yet to see a compelling reason why people loathe it so much. Is it the brief pause after you let off the brake?
For me, I find it shutting off for maybe 5 seconds before restarting roughly 4 out of 5 times. I feel the shutter when it starts and I hear it as well. I’m in my 50s and can’t disregard what I understand about the stresses of engine startup. While I get that some aspects have been beefed up, this is still a legacy engine and not a from-the-ground-up design as with say, a hybrid.

A stopped engine in the Houston traffic is truly an unnatural feeling. You most always have to “take a hole” quickly. I have done my fair share of crazy redneck crap over the years and lived to tell the stories. This ESS actually makes me fear more for my life than anything I can recall.

And being a computer, software engineer, I know how simple it would be for this to be a persistent setting across initial trip startups. All this for maybe a 1 mpg savings. My life is worth more than that. All it takes is one faulty delayed or failed start to leave you exposed in busy traffic.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
love it on my hybrid pacifica. hate it on the JT. Such a small battery it shuts off for like 3 seconds then kicks back on if AC is on. DUMB, system should notice this.

i've also had it shut off when i had the heat on and seconds later i felt it blowing cold air, WHY? because the engine was off and coolant wasn't circulating....

its not worth it, dumb.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
To those who are against those who are against ASS, specifically the subset who assert ASS deniers posit no legitimate objections, I offer this:

What we got here is a Canary in a Coalmine situation. But not what you might think.

How so?

Read on at your own risk!

(For millennials: we once caged a bird, willfully placed it in harm's way, let it die, all to save ourselves. If the canary in the coal mine died, it meant not enough oxygen, the bird having lower tolerance died first, leaving humans with the higher tolerance about enough time to save themselves by leaving the bad air. Humans fled, leaving the dead Canary in the cage at the entrance to that drift warn others).

Right? It was a thing. So much so we coined a phrase. Canary in a Coal Mine.

Other similar phrases are Be careful watch you wish for, abandone hope all ye who enter here, something wicked this way comes. etc.

You know, when it's about to suck, we voice objection by saying watch out!

Applied here with the ASS problem, we mask a much larger problem with a small insignificant solution.

And that's what's wrong with it.

How about not mining coal since we have known about pollution for 100 -200 years? Look up London in the 1800s. We could have harnessed electricity 100 years ago. Wtf we need a Canary for?

Who in their right mind would design an ASS as part of the solution to climate change?

You really think it will help? Really? LMFAO.

Give me a car that works normal. Pay your legion of engineers one day a week to solve actual problems, not vehicle ones, social problems. Call it community service day. In other words, solve the actual problem. What we need is tech to control climate. Humans aren't changing. We do tend to change things to suit ourselves. All FCA engineers in the world, work Wednesdays to design a machine to moderate climate, until further notice. Signed, Management.

I posit, therefore, that ASS is a very different Canary in a very different coal mine.

If we are that close to ruining the climate, more ASS ain't gonna help.

... Why I'm against ASS.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Who in their right mind would design an ASS as part of the solution to climate change?

You really think it will help? Really? LMFAO.
You people are acting like the stop-start systems are pissing in your Cheerios in the morning. Seriously, what does it hurt? Are you angry that someone can't hear your vehicle idling for 2 minutes at a stoplight? I haven't heard one legitimate argument that it's impeding daily driveability.

I sincerely WISH my motorcycle had stop-start. Nothing is worse than sitting at a stoplight for 2 minutes baking from engine heat
Sponsored