• Total voters

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
It's perfectly fine, I've got a manual.When the stereo is on you don't even know when it's working, can't hear it, can't feel it start, non issue.
I had a manual rental car with ASS for 3 weeks and got used to it after a few days. As it starts when you step on the clutch, it restarts on command, before you actually drive away. I did wish it would auto restart when you accidentally stall it though (3cyl ecoboost= ZERO torque off idle)
Sponsored

OP
OP
AggieJeep

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
... Are you angry that someone can't hear your vehicle idling for 2 minutes at a stoplight? I haven't heard one legitimate argument that it's impeding daily driveability.

I sincerely WISH my motorcycle had stop-start. Nothing is worse than sitting at a stoplight for 2 minutes baking from engine heat
Respectfully, you must have missed the comments in this and other threads where folks do not feel it is truly safe to stop the engine when driving in busy traffic. I think that is a very legitimate concern.

ESS was not put on the Gladiator for the same reason you want it for your motorcycle. I hope they offer that for you soon. And my Gladiator has never stayed off for 2 minutes with ESS. I don’t recall it ever remaining off for a whole minute. I’d say the 75% of the stops last less than 6 seconds whenever I experiment with it. Experiment means I forgot to disable it, so I let it go for the remainder or until I can’t take it anymore.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Respectfully, you must have missed the comments in this and other threads where folks do not feel it is truly safe to stop the engine when driving in busy traffic. I think that is a very legitimate concern.

ESS was not put on the Gladiator for the same reason you want it for your motorcycle. I hope they offer that for you soon. And my Gladiator has never stayed off for 2 minutes with ESS. I don’t recall it ever remaining off for a whole minute. I’d say the 75% of the stops last less than 6 seconds whenever I experiment with it. Experiment means I forgot to disable it, so I let it go for the remainder or until I can’t take it anymore.
That's fair enough. I wouldn't use it in a busy city setting either honestly... I think too many people would try to cut in front of you if you can't get off the line fast enough.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
You people are acting like the stop-start systems are pissing in your Cheerios in the morning. Seriously, what does it hurt? Are you angry that someone can't hear your vehicle idling for 2 minutes at a stoplight? I haven't heard one legitimate argument that it's impeding daily driveability.

I sincerely WISH my motorcycle had stop-start. Nothing is worse than sitting at a stoplight for 2 minutes baking from engine heat
It's not a question of can we have ASS. Should we? Why should we have it?

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Can you give the use case where the vehicle being stopped becomes an issue? Not trying to be a jerk, just asking as maybe I'm missing something. I was running it through my head and if I was at a stop light, had someone approaching from the rear and I didn't think they were going to stop, and the intersection was clear, I guess I'd want it running to maybe try and get out of the way. I'm just thinking that usually the intersection being clear is unlikely and I'd be entering cross traffic illegally. If someone was in front of me I'd probably be screwed anyway as I'd then I'd need an open shoulder/lane, and hope they don't go for the shoulder/lane also from behind... I dunno, I guess I'm struggling to find the situation where being stopped and having the vehicle immediately running (not having to wait the 1.5s for it to start) is needed. Unless I'm wrong and there is a common use case - it seems like a planet alignment like probability. I've been using a ESS vehicle for just over 6 years now, maybe I've just been lucky.

Sponsored

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Does ASS disable in 4 wheel drive?

If it is enabled then when off roading where you need to stop and pause for a moment (say going down steep grade) would that be any concern?

Just a thought.

OP
OP
AggieJeep

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you give the use case where the vehicle being stopped becomes an issue? Not trying to be a jerk, just asking as maybe I'm missing something. I was running it through my head and if I was at a stop light, had someone approaching from the rear and I didn't think they were going to stop, and the intersection was clear, I guess I'd want it running to maybe try and get out of the way. I'm just thinking that usually the intersection being clear is unlikely and I'd be entering cross traffic illegally. If someone was in front of me I'd probably be screwed anyway as I'd then I'd need an open shoulder/lane, and hope they don't go for the shoulder/lane also from behind... I dunno, I guess I'm struggling to find the situation where being stopped and having the vehicle immediately running (not having to wait the 1.5s for it to start) is needed. Unless I'm wrong and there is a common use case - it seems like a planet alignment like probability. I've been using a ESS vehicle for just over 6 years now, maybe I've just been lucky.
I have a lot of turns onto busy roads where I am. You literally must take open holes in traffic while that traffic is three lanes wide in one direction and moving 50, 60+ mph. It just doesn’t thin out. Couple this with a lifetime of keeping motors running over the years in various vehicles and I see a recipe for disaster. I trust a running engine much more than one that has to restart between brake and gas pedal actions.

This concept is much less scary with much bigger electric motors with heavier batteries that are also designed to propel the vehicle as well as start an internal combustion engine.

I understand that many may not have the driving environment I live in. Even other parts of Houston are very different. They may have lots of congestion but traffic moves much slower. I can easily envision a failed restart that leaves me hanging out half exposed and unable to do much about it quickly.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
If I cared about emissions I’d buy a Tesla. ESS is just a faster route to starter and battery failure. Emphasis on the starter. And that goes for all brands. We are now back to the days of starters and alternators lasting 50k miles. Except now they cost $500

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Does ASS disable in 4 wheel drive?

If it is enabled then when off roading where you need to stop and pause for a moment (say going down steep grade) would that be any concern?

Just a thought.
It doesn't. When I go off-road and shift to 4H I turn it off. I don't think one could classify it as a safety issue as it is no different than not engaging the appropriate 4x4 mode, turning on a diff-locker, or disconnecting the sway bar and having those settings affect something.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Been driving mine for a week and haven’t had any issues out of it. Maybe a better way to go about having the system is for the driver to have the option of defaulting it off instead of defaulting it to on.

I doubt there are any plans for a modern car manufacturer to remove the feature altogether given all the hubbub about emissions and climate change.

Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Principal
Been driving mine for a week and haven’t had any issues out of it. Maybe a better way to go about having the system is for the driver to have the option of defaulting it off instead of defaulting it to on.

I doubt there are any plans for a modern car manufacturer to remove the feature altogether given all the hubbub about emissions and climate change.
It can't be defaulted to off or the EPA gas mileage calculation is changed and FCA loses the ability to advertise a higher MPG. Plus, there are manufacturer incentives for hitting mpg targets.

turd fergusen

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 granite chrystal Gladiator rubicon 6spd
I just set my climate to 70 with floor dash and defrost. It does not activate with defrost on. Mine has never activated except on the test drive.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
i think it would be interesting to see what people think of Engine Stop Start. There are plenty of discussions but I wonder what the numbers are.
Did not read thread body before posting. Thought you meant the Electronic Stability Control System.

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
When I heard My Gladiator was going to have the EES system my first project was find one of the best of several ways to Disconnect it that worked for me, When I brought my new Gladiator home. i thought ohh well Ill give it try for a while and see how it works, I Decided that if it does save on gas and is putting less pollution and co2 in the air, I can deal with the dislike and inconvenience that it may cause me when the benefits will have an affect on everyone.
Sponsored

Last edited: