First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK / Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I have a problem I’m hoping someone can shed some light on .... pun intended
I recently installed 2 ridged D2 lights in my aftermarket bumper. I wired them into the stock fog light harness so I can use them like the factory ones and not suck up an aux switch.
They worked fine at first but now it’s intermittent and sometime they just flash once and go out when I push the switch, the light in the instrument panel shows them on but they don’t come on and other times I hit the switch and they work fine.
I have double checked all the connection and found no issues I’m assuming it’s someHow a conflict with the computer ( I do have the led package from the factory btw)
Can anyone explain what’s going on and propose a solution other than wiring them to the aux switches .. I know that’s a fix I’m trying to avoid that!
Th
Sponsored

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
LED are fussy creatures. They want and need a certain amount of voltage. No more no less. I’m not an electrician or engineer just basing it on my experience on lites for my other cars. The computer is prolly seeing a draw (maybe) not sure how smart it is.
The fogs prolly have a dedicated relay and voltage it “sees” . I don’t think you’ll be able to continue to piggyback. Unless you find it needs a voltage compensator/ capacitor for the driver. Maybe another inline device will help iron things out if you find what would be compatible. Or maybe iBest use your aux. switch. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbillups75

Bbillups75

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK / Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
LED are fussy creatures. They want and need a certain amount of voltage. No more no less. I’m not an electrician or engineer just basing it on my experience on lites for my other cars. The computer is prolly seeing a draw (maybe) not sure how smart it is.
The fogs prolly have a dedicated relay and voltage it “sees” . I don’t think you’ll be able to continue to piggyback. Best use your aux. switch. Good luck.
I’m wandering if I use a programmer to set it back to standard lights instead of led if that would cure the problem‍♂

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Hmmm. Good question. Not sure since it’s expecting your original LED fog. Well everything is worth a try. Give it a go.
The factory must have a basic voltage programmed for that line and switch.
Maybe “fool” it. I’m still thinking regards to what voltage it sees to trigger it on.
Keep us posted on what happens.:beer:

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:facepalm: Oops
Sorry didn’t realize you have standard fog to begin with. Anyhowz good luck again

Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not an election either and as stated before LEDs can be fussy. Seeing as you already tapped the existing fogs I would try to use the lead from the existing to power a relay for the LEDs this would put a minimal load on the existing wiring and give the LEDs a dedicated lead.

So a power lead to the relay from the battery. The one side of the relay would go to the existing led power lead and the other side of the relay would power the LEDs. This still achieves the same switching and gives the LEDs there own power separate from the factory fogs.

SixtySixNinjas

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep JT Sting-Gray
FCA products are fussy with resistance as well. Every incandescent bulb has some resistance and when the bulb burns out the resistance is gone. I have a lot of exp installing aftermarket LED headlights into vehicles and most need a set of resistors to tell the vehicle that the OEM bulb is not burnt out. you may not see and error on the dash telling you this but the vehicle will send out pulses of power to the lights checking for resistance and when it doesn't see any they may just turn off completely. this is common and can be fixed by adding a resistor/anti- flicker box into the wiring.

added question, did you just add the lights to your current wiring and keep the factory ones working or are the factory lights removed?

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have a question, have you checked the grounds? The wiring on some led lights are sensitive and have to have a very good chassis ground. I would consider a voltage relay with the fog light power as your trigger voltage.

Clink

First Name
Lincoln
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland in Firecracker Red
Billups75....I'm curious if you found a resolution, because I have the exact same issue. Any luck?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's because your on-board computer is looking for halogen lights. So you'll need to use the Tazer to activate LED fogs.

I had the same issue. The Tazer cured it.

Sponsored

Clink

First Name
Lincoln
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland in Firecracker Red
It's because your on-board computer is looking for halogen lights. So you'll need to use the Tazer to activate LED fogs.

I had the same issue. The Tazer cured it.
Bought a Tazer Mini, set the the Fogs to LED and have not had an issue. Thanks for the help!

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
Old thread but similar issue. I have anti flickers built in to my JWS fog lights and didn’t calibrate using Flashcal. It’s was on for a few seconds before it turned off. My Jeep came with halogen so I’ll see if the Flashcal calibrate to leds work.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I swapped my factory halogen fog light assemblies to Mishimoto LED units. No flashing was required.

bsteg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my JKUR and just got a JTR.
Occupation
Work
Same issue, I wired a Baja Designs LP6 (6.5A) to an existing LED fog light circuit and thought it would be fine since it has a 40A fuse. But no, the LP6 flickered and the circuit shut down.

Maybe use a Tazer to set the circuit to incandescent? Sounds like an expensive cure.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Same issue, I wired a Baja Designs LP6 (6.5A) to an existing LED fog light circuit and thought it would be fine since it has a 40A fuse. But no, the LP6 flickered and the circuit shut down.

Maybe use a Tazer to set the circuit to incandescent? Sounds like an expensive cure.
Power the LP6s with a relay that’s triggered by the fog circuit. You’ll use the fog switch to turn them on but the power will be coming straight from the battery.
Sponsored