Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
I believe that you will get more support on the Minivan truck forum for the Ridgeline than you will here...

I will put the most basic JT up against any Ridgeline for overall utility and grins...

Just saying that Ridgeline is a good vehicle for some but it is unlikely that you will convert Jeep owners...

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
I owned a 2007 Ridgeline and it was a good vehicle for what it was. For a daily on road driver it was nice. Its resale was exceptional. It was ok for towing my 3k lb popup (exceptions to follow) and had some very nice hidden comfort features that were at that point unusual in the truck market. The under bed "trunk" was the most useful thing I've seen in something with a bed in a long time and the dual opening tailgate was much more useful than I ever would have thought.

It was lacking in a few important areas though. Off road it was abysmal. The AWD system was not a true 4 wheel drive and I managed to get it stuck in my yard several times badly enough that I had to get the tractor to tow it out. The transmission also did not like towing, even light weight things. It would overheat regularly especially at low speeds...like driving through the campground 15mph zones... I did test drive the new Ridgelines when they came out and I think they do fill a market segment. People who need a bed for small chores but want a very comfortable, car-like ride on the road would find the Ridgeline to their liking I think. It is small enough to be easy to maneuver in urban driving and parking situations and it still has the awesome "trunk" and dual opening tailgate which every truck should consider.

All in all I don't think the Ridgeline is really a peer to the JT, or most true pickups be they light, regular or heavy duty. I am not a heavy off roader or anything but I do need a vehicle that can enter the woods when needed to load a deer or drive to an out of the way impromptu campsite/hiking area. I also need as much tow capacity as I can get out of a small truck in order to warrant replacing my full size so the Sport S with max towing pkg is the sweet spot for me. Enough off road ability through decent tires, solid axles, skid plates and true 4wd while still having decent payload and towing.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
The Ridgeline is still a Honda minivan with the back chopped off...

to each their own..
I had a Toyota Previa van and always thought it would of made a real cool futuristic truck. It was one of the top vehicles I've owned, no problems in over 200,000 miles and I could get the sheet of plywood in the back and close the back hatch or carry 7 adults.

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Ridge is a refined suburban light truck and the JT is a rough and tumble in your face truck. I am not putting down the Ridge to pump up the JT, the Jeep doesn't need to be compared. Its apples and oranges with truck beds.

lvgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just returned a 2018 Ridgeline at end of lease and decided to get a Gladiator. The Honda was a no problem vehicle, just boring. The only thing I miss is the extra lockable storage under the bed. The Gladiator wins by a really big (s)mile' on the fun factor.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
Old thread but I disagree the Ridgeline is NOT a truck. Trucks from F350's 3500 down to Tacoma's, Frontiers all have frames. The Ridgeline has more in common with on old El Camino or Rancharo. It is a great vehicle (not a fan of the looks) its comfortable and drives great like a car it can hall small loads and I have even seen it handle light to medium off roading (with some decent tires). Again a great car for what it is but comparing it to other mid size trucks like Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger or Canyon or a Gladiator its just not apples to apples.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
one is a truck. one is a japanese el camino.

buy accordingly.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
Old thread but I disagree the Ridgeline is NOT a truck. Trucks from F350's 3500 down to Tacoma's, Frontiers all have frames. The Ridgeline has more in common with on old El Camino or Rancharo. It is a great vehicle (not a fan of the looks) its comfortable and drives great like a car it can hall small loads and I have even seen it handle light to medium off roading (with some decent tires). Again a great car for what it is but comparing it to other mid size trucks like Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger or Canyon or a Gladiator its just not apples to apples.
I had a 2007 Ridgeline and now a 2019. Agree that it's very functional but kinda boring - especially in comparison to the Gladiator (which I like; why I'm enrolled here) - but on the topic of hauling, the payload is competitive at about 1500 lbs. Bed is 64" - I think a little longer than the Gladiator. Towing capacity ain't great at 5000lbs, but no problem hauling my subcompact Kubota.

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I know it has gotten some flak in another thread, but I am now considering this "truck" if the JT comes in too high on price . The Ridgeline gets good reviews and seems to be closest to the JT in terms of lifestyle features, while having a decent sized interior space. It also has a slightly longer bed .I know the front looks like spit, but I think it is something others could consider. Looks like you can actually get "deals" on them too. I know it's nowhere near the Jeep in off road abilities but that isn't where the majority of JT daily drivers will spend their time. Other than the non-locking tailgate and small spare tire space, what do people think about it?
My son has a Ridgeline, by far for most peoples weekend warrior truck need. Nice bed, plus it has a trunk. It's cabin is as roomy as a full size. The ride on the highway is the best among trucks and it will get you down a fire/log road. As long as you don't want to do rock climbing/water fording, etc. And it is cheaper. I have the Jeep because I wanted a convertible and I needed the extra tow ability of the Jeep for towing my boats. It all depends on what you want. I found 1 plus I hadn't thought about and that is the local Jeep club and what a great bunch of people they are and what fun it is doing easy adventures with a group and knowing if I wanted more, they could help.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
My son has a Ridgeline, by far for most peoples weekend warrior truck need. Nice bed, plus it has a trunk. It's cabin is as roomy as a full size. The ride on the highway is the best among trucks and it will get you down a fire/log road. As long as you don't want to do rock climbing/water fording, etc. And it is cheaper. I have the Jeep because I wanted a convertible and I needed the extra tow ability of the Jeep for towing my boats. It all depends on what you want. I found 1 plus I hadn't thought about and that is the local Jeep club and what a great bunch of people they are and what fun it is doing easy adventures with a group and knowing if I wanted more, they could help.
Bingo. RL lacks the ground clearance and the other stellar off-road attributes of the Gladiator, and NO other truck is a convertible, lol. Can certainly imagine going that route (or lack of route :) ) at some point.

The RL AWD system is terrific on winding roads, is at home on the 3 mile gravel road/steep hills reaching the family lake cabin, and climbs up the big grassy hill on the property even when wet/slippery. The trunk is perfect for carrying tools, etc., between there & home.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Bingo. RL lacks the ground clearance and the other stellar off-road attributes of the Gladiator, and NO other truck is a convertible, lol. Can certainly imagine going that route (or lack of route :) ) at some point.

The RL AWD system is terrific on winding roads, is at home on the 3 mile gravel road/steep hills reaching the family lake cabin, and climbs up the big grassy hill on the property even when wet/slippery. The trunk is perfect for carrying tools, etc., between there & home.
I had a truck to tow my boats and a convertible for my everyday. The GM truck, same age as convertible, had rusted off the upper connection for the rear shocks, so needed as new truck and the convertible was close to start being expensive to fix. At that moment, Jeep announced the Gladiator and I knew what I had to get. Had thought of a Jeep before, but the Wrangler just didn't have the needed tow capacity and the 2 doors really have no tow capacity so Jeep kept getting pushed aside for more practical vehicles.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I'll be selling my Ridgeline tomorrow as I have a Gladiator on order now. I think it's the most 'logical' truck (bring the hate) for the majority of people who are looking for a midsize truck that doesn't have to tow a lot. It was the reason I bought it. I know I've used it for more 'truck' stuff than most people do. I think I'll miss the trunk and tailgate action, but I know I'll enjoy driving a manual and have the roof off much more.

The Ridgeline was my first automatic transmission vehicle I ever had, but at the time when looking for a midsize truck, the Gladiator didn't exist. Ridgeline is very boring and perfect for people who don't like to drive, but *have* to drive. I enjoy going out for a drive with the windows down and a manual transmission. I waited a little to let FCA fix any initial issues and now ordered a Gladiator with a manual. Can't wait!

I would still suggest people get a Ridgeline over any other midsize truck, especially for a daily driver (and don't care about having a manual). If you sometimes need to tow, get a used fullsize pickup for those times - something I will probably do in the future.

Last edited:

Triplehsian

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland Stingray on order, 2017 Honda Ridgeline, 2015 Subaru Forester, 2008 Porsche RS60 Spyder
I have a 2017 RL black edition and the creature comforts are great. I was shopping for midsized trucks for my growing family and to suit my hobbies (DIY, woodworking). Not a fan of the front end and lack of manual transmission, but liked that I can haul plywood flat. When the backseats flip up, there is a large flat load floor. And the trunk is awesome. I have an aftermarket tailgate lock to secure my cargo. No problems with reliability (>100k mi). Overall very pleased and will be keeping this truck when our manual JT arrives soon.
Sponsored