Sponsored

Loose Steering?

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I test drove an overland and was cncerned about loose steering, but found the test drive was pretty rock solid.
I wonder if it wouldn't be productive to check the air pressure to ensure all 4 are in spec, then take to an independent front end shop for a check of the alignment specs. If it is out of spec you can take it to the dealer to correct. If it is in spec, you can at least rule alignment out.
Those who get out of spec results can post them here so we can see if there is a pattern.
Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
For what its worth, my tires were 39psi cold when I took delivery.. never felt loose or wandered. I aired them down to 33psi cold. Rides well but never felt squirrely even at higher psi. Tracks straight on hwy.. one hand driving no corrections.

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
Hello all, just for the record,
I Picked up a 2020 Rubicon JT about a week ago and noticed the wondering right away maybe 2nd day tire pressures were at 41 from dealer dropped down to 37 as door panel listing suggests, did help a bit but not much, dropped down as low as 30psi to experiment and to no avail. If you not paying 100% attention you can get into serious trouble real quick, as if you've had a few drinks
Im hoping they have a recall...
If your interested in this vehicle make sure you get on the highway as part of your test ride!

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
For what its worth, my tires were 39psi cold when I took delivery.. never felt loose or wandered. I aired them down to 33psi cold. Rides well but never felt squirrely even at higher psi. Tracks straight on hwy.. one hand driving no corrections.
I appreciate your time on this Rocksalt, one more ask if I can... If you (gently) pull back on the ridiculously flimsy splash guard, that p/n sticker should be there. Here’s mine:

1017A152-0692-4D2E-9A69-E1F562D83F4F.jpeg

Sponsored

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Here's mine. My jt doesn't wander too bad, but it's worse than my 2000 xj

IMG_20190915_082511505.jpg

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
Here is mine.. no wander no looseness
I’m sure that made you appreciate your splash guards more (sorry)... but thank you for the pic.

So the steer boxes haven’t changed. Going by the federal guideline for measuring steering play mine is at 1 1/4” which is well within limits for a 15” wheel. I guess it’s time to get it on an alignment rack.

79324CFC-104B-40E0-BF50-D2F8D56AA0F0.png

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure that made you appreciate your splash guards more (sorry)... but thank you for the pic.

So the steer boxes haven’t changed. Going by the federal guideline for measuring steering play mine is at 1 1/4” which is well within limits for a 15” wheel. I guess it’s time to get it on an alignment rack.

79324CFC-104B-40E0-BF50-D2F8D56AA0F0.png
Yes the paper thin splash guards are a joke. So the AE is an earlier version steering box? Well I guess I will keep an eye on things. My rig has no wander and zero play. Did you get the electronic hydro assist reflashed? I read somewhere that has helped some with steering issues.

Sponsored

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
Yes the paper thin splash guards are a joke. So the AE is an earlier version steering box? Well I guess I will keep an eye on things. My rig has no wander and zero play. Did you get the electronic hydro assist reflashed? I read somewhere that has helped some with steering issues.
I have not. My dealership says I don’t have a problem.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not. My dealership says I don’t have a problem.
Well loose steering and wandering is well documented in the JLs... sorry you are having this issue but it clearly needs to be corrected

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was a hand made mark on the top of my steering box. I purchased off the lot and test drove on hwy. Absolutely no wandering no looseness.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also test drove a JL Rubi and a JL Overland before testing my JT. All drove perfectly on hwy.