Just remember a few things about the JT

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Unlike the rest of the competitors, the JT is a convertible, though not just the top but the doors as well. If it were all fixed, the price would drop significantly.

JT also comes with manual on all trim levels, only other competitor who offers that is the Taco, and we know how much better the JT is.

You can easily fit 35/37's, the others you need to extensively mod in comparison.

Also, for those who point to price, I could build a Sport + with a few packages (5/10), a hard top, tonneau and spray in bed liner for less than $44k (also manual)

Price would obviously Spike if I added Auto or more packages, but again, so much for being so ridiculously expensive.

Now the competition has their own pro's, but at the end of the day, a Jeeps a Jeep and you can't beat the best

Just my two cents, take it or leave it, and thanks for taking a look!
Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
Unlike the rest of the competitors, the JT is a convertible, though not just the top but the doors as well. If it were all fixed, the price would drop significantly.

JT also comes with manual on all trim levels, only other competitor who offers that is the Taco, and we know how much better the JT is.

You can easily fit 35/37's, the others you need to extensively mod in comparison.

Also, for those who point to price, I could build a Sport + with a few packages (5/10), a hard top, tonneau and spray in bed liner for less than $44k (also manual)

Price would obviously Spike if I added Auto or more packages, but again, so much for being so ridiculously expensive.

Now the competition has their own pro's, but at the end of the day, a Jeeps a Jeep and you can't beat the best

Just my two cents, take it or leave it, and thanks for taking a look!
All great points. The manual, and the solid axles are two huge points for me, as they're almost indestructible, and super easy to work on over the life of the vehicle. I just sold off my '01 Super Duty with a V10 and manual transmission, and downsizing in the next few weeks, picking up my GCM Sport S. Sure the JT is a "Lifestyle" vehicle, but it's my mid-life crisis sporty convertible, with a manual to boot.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have been addicted since my first Wrangler about 15 years ago and have been my daily drivers but as life went on the frustration of needing a truck to bring things home like a grill or a piece of drywall had me truck shopping again. Once the Gladiator was officially announced all I needed was a test drive to confirm (20 mile test drive and I was sold). Is it more expensive than a colorado or other similar? YES but as stated above this is a fully convertible vehicle that factory stock gives you many more off road options. Now for the icing on the cake? I have wanted a convertible truck since the 90's when they started cutting the tops off of S-10's which cost more than a few grand to do correctly. So now I have a Jeep, a truck bed for those random house projects, and most importantly it is not just a convertible with removable doors but on the lazy days I can just remove the freedom panels in less than 5 minutes.

Did the 50k crunch my wallet? Yes. Do I have regrets? None other than I should have made them do the lift and slightly bigger tires. It's not 100% as offroad capable as my 2 door JK but then again I was able to pickup a new grill and plywood without bothering to hookup a trailer. Plus I am not doing the Rubicon trail every weekend so I don't need the offroad only beast for my fun. I could be utilitarian and have a Wrangler and a pickup but then I would never smile as much climbing into a regular pickup, even if it was a raptor or other wayout pickup, nor would I get all the looks and questions along the way.

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
All great points. The manual, and the solid axles are two huge points for me, as they're almost indestructible, and super easy to work on over the life of the vehicle. I just sold off my '01 Super Duty with a V10 and manual transmission, and downsizing in the next few weeks, picking up my GCM Sport S. Sure the JT is a "Lifestyle" vehicle, but it's my mid-life crisis sporty convertible, with a manual to boot.
Hey, what's better than a convertible pickup that still offers manual? Win-win-win imo!

I have been addicted since my first Wrangler about 15 years ago and have been my daily drivers but as life went on the frustration of needing a truck to bring things home like a grill or a piece of drywall had me truck shopping again. Once the Gladiator was officially announced all I needed was a test drive to confirm (20 mile test drive and I was sold). Is it more expensive than a colorado or other similar? YES but as stated above this is a fully convertible vehicle that factory stock gives you many more off road options. Now for the icing on the cake? I have wanted a convertible truck since the 90's when they started cutting the tops off of S-10's which cost more than a few grand to do correctly. So now I have a Jeep, a truck bed for those random house projects, and most importantly it is not just a convertible with removable doors but on the lazy days I can just remove the freedom panels in less than 5 minutes.

Did the 50k crunch my wallet? Yes. Do I have regrets? None other than I should have made them do the lift and slightly bigger tires. It's not 100% as offroad capable as my 2 door JK but then again I was able to pickup a new grill and plywood without bothering to hookup a trailer. Plus I am not doing the Rubicon trail every weekend so I don't need the offroad only beast for my fun. I could be utilitarian and have a Wrangler and a pickup but then I would never smile as much climbing into a regular pickup, even if it was a raptor or other wayout pickup, nor would I get all the looks and questions along the way.
Exactly, couldn't of said it better myself

I got a Rebel, nice truck, but I miss manual, don't need the full size and wanna go topless next spring/summer, so gonna see what I can do about trading in my truck. Sure, won't carry AS much, but still provides more than enough of what I need

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Also note when comparing base price of a Gladiator to other midsize trucks, it is only configured in 4 door 4 wheel drive. While other midsize trucks base price is significantly lower configure those trucks in 4 door 4 wheel drive that price gap shrinks.

This is something that almost every review that came out fails to explain. They will say that the Ranger starts at $24k and the Gladiator starts at $33k while the starting Ranger is a two door two wheel drive truck. Now out of curiosity I priced out a 4 door 4 wheel drive xl (base trim) and included only the option package that put cruse control and the MSRP was over $33k. A Colorado 4 door 4 wheel drive WT is starts over $32k an LT starts at $35k.

The Jeep is priced with it's competition and it is a convertible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Also note when comparing base price of a Gladiator to other midsize trucks, it is only configured in 4 door 4 wheel drive. While other midsize trucks base price is significantly lower configure those trucks in 4 door 4 wheel drive that price gap shrinks.

This is something that almost every review that came out fails to explain. They will say that the Ranger starts at $24k and the Gladiator starts at $33k while the starting Ranger is a two door two wheel drive truck. Now out of curiosity I priced out a 4 door 4 wheel drive xl (base trim) and included only the option package that put cruse control and the MSRP was over $33k. A Colorado 4 door 4 wheel drive WT is starts over $32k an LT starts at $35k.

The Jeep is priced with it's competition and it is a convertible.
That too! And while ymmv depending on where you live, I don't expect a lot of drivers to be driving the 2x4's, though it'd be nice to see regular/access cabs for the JT's.

I wonder why the reviews don't put disclaimers, stating a 4x4 starts around the same price; laziness or bias? Speaking of description, why are they comparing fully loaded Overlands/Rubi's and then bitching about price, could of found a nice sport/+ to compare instead, get the same end result but with a lower price (in hindsight, some of its getting what's available)

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
That too! And while ymmv depending on where you live, I don't expect a lot of drivers to be driving the 2x4's, though it'd be nice to see regular/access cabs for the JT's.

I wonder why the reviews don't put disclaimers, stating a 4x4 starts around the same price; laziness or bias? Speaking of description, why are they comparing fully loaded Overlands/Rubi's and then bitching about price, could of found a nice sport/+ to compare instead, get the same end result but with a lower price (in hindsight, some of its getting what's available)

Exactly I like to see more apples to apples comparison it the sport trim to the Colorado Z71 something more of the bread and butter of these trucks rather than the top level trims. Where the majority of consumers are at.

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Exactly I like to see more apples to apples comparison it the sport trim to the Colorado Z71 something more of the bread and butter of these trucks rather than the top level trims. Where the majority of consumers are at.
I told my friend while he was looking between a JT and a R32 GTS that Glads could be had in the $40s, he had no idea, and he's one to really off-road too (I gotta find the time to go on the trails in comparison)
IMG_20190813_181201.jpg
(His JK sport and my Rebel)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Good points. A lot of people fail to realize how much it costs FCA to build a truck like this in 2020. There are so many government regulations and penalties involved that it's insane. FCA makes a lot of sacrifices just to be able to sell a Wrangler/Gladiator in today's world. They, being a business, will then naturally pass that along to the consumer so they can continue to remain in business.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I keep considering the competition and the significant savings but this right here keeps me coming back every time. I don't know how much off-roading I'll get around to doing but I always come to my senses because, "It's a pickup with removable doors!"

Sponsored

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
I keep considering the competition and the significant savings but this right here keeps me coming back every time. I don't know how much off-roading I'll get around to doing but I always come to my senses because, "It's a pickup with removable doors!"
Idk Baton, but you're on the Gulf Coast, so when it's nice out, just take off the top and doors and go for a cruise

Not sure where there's a beach, but while I doubt you got it to be a pussy magnet, driving doorless and topless near or on the beach does getcha attention

End of the day, people recognize it as a Jeep and that's a +++

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Idk Baton, but you're on the Gulf Coast, so when it's nice out, just take off the top and doors and go for a cruise

Not sure where there's a beach, but while I doubt you got it to be a pussy magnet, driving doorless and topless near or on the beach does getcha attention

End of the day, people recognize it as a Jeep and that's a +++
It's nice for our 1 week of spring and 1 week of fall a year otherwise it's too hot, too cold (rarely) or too wet. The beaches are all mud. I assume the wife might have issues with a $50k pussy magnet so I'll refer to it as something else. Fully intend to pull the doors and roof and have fun cruising around on weekends with the kids and commuting to/from work as long as it's not raining. Two weekends ago every jeep we saw had the doors and top off. It was one of those weekends and I was jealous.

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
It's nice for our 1 week of spring and 1 week of fall a year otherwise it's too hot, too cold (rarely) or too wet. The beaches are all mud. I assume the wife might have issues with a $50k pussy magnet so I'll refer to it as something else. Fully intend to pull the doors and roof and have fun cruising around on weekends with the kids and commuting to/from work as long as it's not raining. Two weekends ago every jeep we saw had the doors and top off. It was one of those weekends and I was jealous.
Forget not everyone's a bachelor like me, so hey, at least it makes christening the backseat with the misses more exciting xD

Those 2 weeks might be short, but worth capitalizing on and never knew that about beaches, learn new shit everyday

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
If you look at a Gladiator you don't need to be worried too much about price. The Jeeps have markups or at a minimum no incentives. I think every other pickup has incentives. As pointed out the Glads have features the others will never have so it is not Apples to Apples but it is function to functional comparable.

OP
OP
MF Comics

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
If you look at a Gladiator you don't need to be worried too much about price. The Jeeps have markups or at a minimum no incentives. I think every other pickup has incentives. As pointed out the Glads have features the others will never have so it is not Apples to Apples but it is function to functional comparable.
End of the day, most people see it as a Wrangler with a Bed and that's perfect

Honestly just love it for that fact, the functionality of it is the Cherry on top
Sponsored