First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I don't know for certain, neither do you. Maybe it will fall apart 3 times faster?

Were these brand new units you were looking at that had de-lamination and corrosion problems? What did the people who had them have to say about that?

A rusty fastener doesn't concern me too terribly, de-lamination would concern me though.
The units were what they called "show models" that were assembled and towed from CA to NC for an RV show and then back to AL but never sold. When I mentioned my quality concerns the salesman didn't even respond. And my point is if ! can see rusty screws and the furniture falling apart what is going on that I cannot see?
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The units were what they called "show models" that were assembled and towed from CA to NC for an RV show and then back to AL but never sold. When I mentioned my quality concerns the salesman didn't even respond. And my point is if ! can see rusty screws and the furniture falling apart what is going on that I cannot see?
Oh, I understand completely and would have the same concerns. If they are brand new units that just rode the boat across the pacific, then did a 3k road trip I certainly wouldn't expect those problems, and again I am not pimping the Black Series.

I will say however that the palomino that you posted is not an "off road camper". On highway and with moderate unimproved surface use you can expect reasonable service from it or any other "glue and staple" trailer. There are only about 3 or 4 manufacturers in the US that build about 95% of the trailers and they are all built similarly. Some slightly better than others, but basically none that will stand up to even intermittent off road use.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I hear ya. I wouldn’t be using the rock sliders on the Black Series so the hard core off road isn’t a requirement. I just want something that I can get into where most others can’t.

Last edited:

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2019-9-15_1-30-34.jpeg

upload_2019-9-15_1-24-24.jpeg

Maybe A Casita for me. It is probably okay on moderate dirt roads like the one above, but nothing hardcore.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Oh, I understand completely and would have the same concerns. If they are brand new units that just rode the boat across the pacific, then did a 3k road trip I certainly wouldn't expect those problems, and again I am not pimping the Black Series.

I will say however that the palomino that you posted is not an "off road camper". On highway and with moderate unimproved surface use you can expect reasonable service from it or any other "glue and staple" trailer. There are only about 3 or 4 manufacturers in the US that build about 95% of the trailers and they are all built similarly. Some slightly better than others, but basically none that will stand up to even intermittent off road use.
That's exactly what I found when researching these. Nothing like going to an rv show and spending all day going through RVs just to find they're all the same damnit.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Here is a much better explanation than I can give. And as stated above the unit us the IQ3500
https://www.noisehelp.com/decibel-scale.htmlhttp://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/iq-series/iq3500
Hmmmm, yeah here is Generac spec sheet where they list pretty much everything about the generator but notably omit the DB readings http://www.generac.com/generaccorpo...r/iq series/iq3500-spec-sheet_10000016701.pdf

Here is a quote from your link to Noisehelp "For a reported sound level value to be most useful, it is necessary to specify the conditions under which the reading was taken, especially the distance from the source."

And then there is this from their sales propaganda:
Ultra Quiet- 40% Quieter than Honda*- advanced inverter technology and enclosure design provide optimal quiet performance.

But then in tiny little letters in the footnote:
Disclaimer * Over 5 dB(A) quieter than the EU3000is, based on independent third-party testing

But like I said they fail to give any measurements in the spec sheet, which points me in the direction of deceptive advertising

"IT'S 40% QUIETER!"
"What are the DB readings at idle and WOT?"
"IT'S 40% QUIETER!"
"But what are the DB readings though?
"IT'S 40% QUIETER!"

I don't like shit like that and it is an instant turn off, guaranteed to make me go somewhere else. I am in the market for 2-1000w inverters and a parallel kit, simply because the 3000is is too heavy and bulky for mobile use.

Important to note here , that I'm not beating you up or being critical of your post, I'm saying Generac is providing poorly defined specs while promoting their product as quieter by 40% which regardless of logarithmic charting, new math, an abacus, lighting some candles and drinking some double dark rum while sacrificing a chicken consists of possibly more than 5db reduction, but less than 6db reduction.

I ain't buying it, want to sell a product Generac? Be honest.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I understand that you like your Honda and I want to say right now that if you like your Honda you can keep your Honda. Honda did lead the way in the quiet generator segment but they now have competition. I’m sorry that met presentation of information has put a burr under your saddle. There is no reason to let a hick from TN get you so wound up about two companies advertising.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I understand that you like your Honda and I want to say right now that if you like your Honda you can keep your Honda. Honda did lead the way in the quiet generator segment but they now have competition. I’m sorry that met presentation of information has put a burr under your saddle. There is no reason to let a hick from TN get you so wound up about two companies advertising.
Your reading comprehension seems pretty low, so I won't waste any more effort on you or the subject.

Have a nice day.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Your reading comprehension seems pretty low, so I won't waste any more effort on you or the subject.

Have a nice day.
Thank you for your mercy. It is clear that I brought a knife to an intellectual and emotional gunfight.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Disclaimer * Over 5 dB(A) quieter than the EU3000is, based on independent third-party testing
i thought a 7dB(A) increase the noise DOUBLES. SO 5dB(A) could very well be 40%

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
That is absolutely correct. But in my adversary’s defense, if a person is not familiar with how the amplitude of sound waves are measured and expressed there could be confusing.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
i thought a 7dB(A) increase the noise DOUBLES. SO 5dB(A) could very well be 40%
Or, they could simply publish the idle and WOT DB readings, like they do every other aspect of the machine right down to the type of lubrication system.

Is 51db 40% quieter than 57db? Don't know, may be. My point is when they don't publish the actual readings it suggests that they are wanting to do the interpretation for you.

Just give me the numbers.

As I have already said, I am looking for a pair of 1000w generators and a parallel kit, I would like to spend my money wisely, I won't spend it with a company that promotes "40% QUIETER" then doesn't publish the actual number. YMMV

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Or, they could simply publish the idle and WOT DB readings, like they do every other aspect of the machine right down to the type of lubrication system.

Is 51db 40% quieter than 57db? Don't know, may be. My point is when they don't publish the actual readings it suggests that they are wanting to do the interpretation for you.

Just give me the numbers.

As I have already said, I am looking for a pair of 1000w generators and a parallel kit, I would like to spend my money wisely, I won't spend it with a company that promotes "40% QUIETER" then doesn't publish the actual number. YMMV
Not everyone knows how to convert dbs to % difference (including me, looked at like 20 google pages). If you like Honda, buy Honda. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm trying to educate others why generac advertises as they do. Maybe someone could buy both and start a separate thread comparing them, lmao

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Not everyone knows how to convert dbs to % difference. If you like Honda, buy Honda. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm trying to educate others why generac advertises as they do. Maybe someone could buy both and start a separate thread comparing them, lmao
I get it, I'm one of those who doesn't know how to convert those readings. Reality is I wouldn't have to know that if Generac published the numbers though.

In all likelihood I will buy more Honda, although I would consider reasonable alternatives.

Real number against real number = understanding no "education" required. Extrapolating (unpublished) numbers to make them appear greater than they are is marketing hype, nothing more or less. I grossly distrust corporate marketing, when we are talking about shit made in China, and they are not forthcoming with information, that distrust ramps right up.

We know for certain the difference is no more than 6db, you can call that 87% if it makes you feel better, but it is still 6db.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I get it, I'm one of those who doesn't know how to convert those readings. Reality is I wouldn't have to know that if Generac published the numbers though.

In all likelihood I will buy more Honda, although I would consider reasonable alternatives.

Real number against real number = understanding no "education" required. Extrapolating (unpublished) numbers to make them appear greater than they are is marketing hype, nothing more or less. I grossly distrust corporate marketing, when we are talking about shit made in China, and they are not forthcoming with information, that distrust ramps right up.

We know for certain the difference is no more than 6db, you can call that 87% if it makes you feel better, but it is still 6db.
Your argument is self defeating. Since most people do not realize that a 5 decibel drop is that significant they decided to express their measured sound as a percentage, a math concept that most of their target market will understand. I assume that people will look at a 5 dB difference and say “only 5 dB, that isn’t significant enough to worry about so go with the name that I know. Before I provided a link to how sound is measured you said that a 40% reduction would put the other product in the 30s, without any research before you posted. As you so kindly pointed out I have poor reading comprehension, but at least I tried to understand the subject before I started an argument. (Actually I really did remember a little about the subject from my physics class, but still brushed up before I made an ass out of myself.). Why would Generac assume that the majority of the population is any different than you? All they did was write their advertising in a matter that the majority of non-scientific Americans could understand.
Sponsored

Last edited: