WHEEL DISCUSSION

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
Looking to start/have a discussion about wheels, I’m coming from sports cars and understand those but since I’m new to 4x4’s and I know several others are as well I thought we could discuss the do’s & dont’s along with the why’s & why not’s. I get that 17” wheels are preferred and I know wheel poke or flush is a personal preference as well as some benefits either way. I also understand the difference between alloy and steel and also the weight issue but I don’t know everything and there may be others that don’t know anything. I’m not looking for any bashing of one brand, style, preference or anything else and I want to use this discussion to help others and myself better choose the best wheel for themselves. Keeping an open mind that there will be Gladiator owners using their truck for work, play or a combination of both. Mine is being purchased for a work truck and occasional off-roading experience along with winter fun.

For instance: some wheels like the Black Rhino Armory are completely closed off, does this effect any off-roading discharge or cooling issues.
Sponsored

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I think this is a good idea. I have had multiple jeeps but I am no mechanic by any means nor am I a hardcore off roader. Due to this I am always lacking good starting points and for some reason the gladiator is screaming for me to modify with new tires, lift kits, etc. I won't lie and part of it is aesthetics but compared to my wranglers I feel there is a need to beef it up a bit more to help make up for the extended wheel base and breakover. There are things I did in stock 2 door wranglers that I am not sure would go as well in the gladiator and I want this truck to live up to it's potential because it gives me wrangler fun with truck conveniences.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I'd like clarification on wheel offset. For example I see people post about having -12mm offset. Is that related to the overall back spacing of the rim? Meaning that it is essentially the same as having a 12mm wheel spacer installed? Or, because it is a "negative" 12mm offset, does that mean the wheel is more tucked into the fender? I'm confused as to why the wheel specs list back spacing and offset separately if they are essentially both referring to the distance from the inside wheel lip to the face of the hub.

Is there an optimal offset? I ordered a Sport S with Max Tow. Since the axles are already 1.5" wider than the regular ones, if I get the -12mm offset wheels, will the tires stick way out like those silly skateboard looking pickups that are all over these days?

I'm currently shopping wheels and want to make sure I order the right ones since they cant be returned once the tires are mounted.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'd like clarification on wheel offset. For example I see people post about having -12mm offset. Is that related to the overall back spacing of the rim? Meaning that it is essentially the same as having a 12mm wheel spacer installed? Or, because it is a "negative" 12mm offset, does that mean the wheel is more tucked into the fender? I'm confused as to why the wheel specs list back spacing and offset separately if they are essentially both referring to the distance from the inside wheel lip to the face of the hub.

Is there an optimal offset? I ordered a Sport S with Max Tow. Since the axles are already 1.5" wider than the regular ones, if I get the -12mm offset wheels, will the tires stick way out like those silly skateboard looking pickups that are all over these days?

I'm currently shopping wheels and want to make sure I order the right ones since they cant be returned once the tires are mounted.
Offset describes the mounting surface of the wheel in relation to the centerline of the wheel width. For instance, a +12 wheel would sit 12mm more inboard, and a -12 wheel would sit 12mm more outboard, than a wheel with the mounting surface centered (0 offset).

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Offset describes the mounting surface of the wheel in relation to the centerline of the wheel width. For instance, a +12 wheel would sit 12mm more inboard, and a -12 wheel would sit 12mm more outboard, than a wheel with the mounting surface centered (0 offset).
Got it. Thanks
Sponsored