rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
Hmmm...mine is on the list.

Now the dilemma: I have a permit for a 5 day off-road down the Flint trail in the Canyonlands Maze district. Headed out to the dollhouses and then southwest out Poison Springs canyon road.

The truck seems fine but if I breakdown on that stretch it will be a couple grand recovery. Too risky? No sign of a problem so far.
Sponsored

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon
Just checked the Mopar site. I took delivery of my LE on Memorial Day but I apparently dodged the bullet...

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Oh really?

"The suspect population was determined by reviewing the supplier's driveshaft production records from the beginning of production of this driveshaft to identify which driveshafts may have been assembled without grease. Driveshaft traceabilty records were then linked to vehicle production records to determine the suspect vehicle population."

Link: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V636-4318.PDF

Am I being hyperbolic? Of course I am, you don't need a green card to work in a Mexican manufacturing plant, and they don't pay anything close to $8 an hour.

Auto manufacturers build only a tiny percentage of the components that they assemble into a finished vehicle and those are typically limited to critical components, and those that provide an acceptable ROI. Sub assemblys like we are talking about here are almost exclusively provided by third party vendor/suppliers and contracts are let for those assemblies based on cost and quality acceptance. Order enough. open and install enough OEM parts and you will discover that the overwhelming percentage of these parts are sourced in Mexico and/or Canada.

Looks like Dana, Auburn Hills Michigan is the plant, here is a list of Dana North America facilities : http://www.dana.com/corporate-pages/careers/locations/northamerica

And here is indeed.com employee reviews of the location https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Dana-Incorporated/reviews?fcountry=US&floc=Auburn+Hills,+MI
Alrighty then.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

Now the dilemma: I have a permit for a 5 day off-road down the Flint trail in the Canyonlands Maze district. Headed out to the dollhouses and then southwest out Poison Springs canyon road.

The truck seems fine but if I breakdown on that stretch it will be a couple grand recovery. Too risky? No sign of a problem so far.

If mine were on the recall list, I would not risk taking a trip like that before having it repaired. I've been into The Maze numerous times (most often before they even started requiring reservations) and it is about as remote as you can get in the lower 48. I usually went down the Flint Trail and then out via Hite. If your driveshaft snaps, don't count on cell service. I would recommend taking a satellite communicator like the inReach.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So.....I occasionally throw out some questions to a Jeep sales guy I know (funny thing he has no idea I'm on Jeep Garage and this forum so I get more details sooner than he does!!!)

I asked him a general Pentastar question and asked him his thoughts on this recall.... here's his response verbatim.

"
I think all the Pentastar 3.6 engines are the same. The horsepower varies slightly in different models due to exhaust differences. There was a design change in 2016. All models would have the new version in them.

I am not alarmed by recalls. FCA issues recalls on our vehicles all the time. They are just heading off any possible problems and are covering the repair free of charge. Quite often they are just due to a bad batch of a particular part. Sometimes they are just software flashes to make things work better. I see them as positives and not negatives."

YOUR THOUGHTS ON HIM THINKING RECALLS ARE POSITIVE? I get what he's saying that they try and catch things but shouldn't you NOT want ANY recalls?!!!! QUALITY CONTROL!
Commence Tail Wagging Dog Era. AI people, and the smartest folks in the 1% think it's a great idea!

735ab6874420d6c5a9f94ffe54f5e777.jpg

Sponsored

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
This doesn’t make sense to me. The recall is for specific vehicles built from December until 6/25. You placed your order over a month after this.
I agree it doesn’t make sense, but for some reason my order won’t start until dec 2nd. I wasn’t sure if there is a different drive shaft for manual vs auto and it was the manual equipped vehicles that had the issue. FCA and my dealer have been terrible with providing any info

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,

Bring it in, have them give you a loaner (wrangler or gladiator) and beat the shit out of it!

Breaktrack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Looks like mine is good. Which is a good thing! At 16,845 miles, as of today, I have been waaaaaay out in the boonies a lot since picking her up!

Mac

JT_Chief

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Not so lucky..... Put my VIN into the tool and it showed up with the recall...

Stated, PARTS NOT AVAILABLE...

I wonder if this is the clunk I hear going from Park to Reverse... hummmm...

I entered my information and it gave me a case number..
recall.jpg
I hear the same clunk! said affected, no parts too!

Sponsored

steveale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 M38, 2020 Gladiator LE
I just called my dealer service department since I received recall notification via the mopar service app. Dealer said they don’t have the recall service instructions or parts to effect the repair. Said they don’t expect any information for a few more weeks. I assume this correlates to the October date posted earlier in this thread. I’ve begun to notice an intermittent clunking sound at starts and stops.

JT_Chief

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Trying to make lemonade here... I’ve got an Overland and wish I had some of the features in the Rubicon like lockers (rear at least) and a 4.10 gear (or maybe 4.56 for that matter).

I’ve already gone through the online recall site and am affected. Apparently there’s the option for reimbursement instead of having the dealer repair for free. Does anyone with past recall experience know if I can use this issue as an opportunity to offset the costs of an upgrade...even if it’s just the labor portion?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Trying to make lemonade here... I’ve got an Overland and wish I had some of the features in the Rubicon like lockers (rear at least) and a 4.10 gear (or maybe 4.56 for that matter).

I’ve already gone through the online recall site and am affected. Apparently there’s the option for reimbursement instead of having the dealer repair for free. Does anyone with past recall experience know if I can use this issue as an opportunity to offset the costs of an upgrade...even if it’s just the labor portion?
I had a Jeep Renegade cooling fan replaced before the recall at my expense though the dealership. After the recall, I was reimbursed the full amount. Just keep your records and receipts.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Were any manuals recalled because mine was...n't.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Really? If FCA offered me a substantial amount of compensation, I would much rather have a quality aftermarket 1-piece drive shaft in my truck. That's the route I'd go.
Sponsored