Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
...potentially for the increased range that could make this a boon for overlanders. I’m looking at the diesel because I’ll be towing through the Rockies and the 3.6l performance on I-70 leaves a lot to be desired.
Those are the same reasons I'm waiting to see what the true numbers are going to be on the diesel. My JKUR sucks pulling a small overland trailer over the Rockies... granted, it is on 37s and regeared to 5.13s.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Dont forget "Driveability" the extra power and TQ will make it more enjoyable to drive in a range of different conditions. To me this is the reason I would be willing to dish out and extra $5K after driving a JKU with the Pentastar for the last 6 years. Extra range is just a bonus to me.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Dont forget "Driveability" the extra power and TQ will make it more enjoyable to drive in a range of different conditions. To me this is the reason I would be willing to dish out and extra $5K after driving a JKU with the Pentastar for the last 6 years. Extra range is just a bonus to me.
The diesel is going to be down on power from the Pentastar, but up on torque. It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are on the Ecodiesel once it is put into the JT and how that translates to drive-ability.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Then figure that Super or Turbo charging the 3.6L will cost roughly $5000 and the diesel makes more sense.

Also, for me, forced induction isn’t a good idea since we don’t have any gas with a higher octane rating than 91. Most solutions require 93. The. there are all those blown engines like what happened to Kevin and Britney.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Then figure that Super or Turbo charging the 3.6L will cost roughly $5000 and the diesel makes more sense.

Also, for me, forced induction isn’t a good idea since we don’t have any gas with a higher octane rating than 91. Most solutions require 93. The. there are all those blown engines like what happened to Kevin and Britney.
The pentastar wasn't designed with any kind of forced induction in mind. The Ecodiesel was specifically. And diesel has only one type you can get. Around here it's pretty much the same price as regular too.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The diesel is going to be down on power from the Pentastar, but up on torque. It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are on the Ecodiesel once it is put into the JT and how that translates to drive-ability.
TQ gets you moving HP keeps you there. Since my JKU has a problem getting out of its own way I think the diesel will translate into a much more enjoyable drive.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Yep like @Billy said not designed for FI and then on top of it loss of warranty. The diesel will still be backed by a factory warranty.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
TQ gets you moving HP keeps you there. Since my JKU has a problem getting out of its own way I think the diesel will translate into a much more enjoyable drive.
That's no lie. This EcoD GC I just bought flat out flies - great mix with the 8 speed (8HP70 per window sticker). Averaging 24 mpg. And I haven't even put a tune on it yet. Weight is about 5K.

PJTree

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
Would it be easier to convert a MT Pentastar to a diesel or an AT diesel to an MT?

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Would it be easier to convert a MT Pentastar to a diesel or an AT diesel to an MT?
There is no MT that can handle the TQ thats the main reason they are not offering it.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
There is no MT that can handle the TQ thats the main reason they are not offering it.
There is, but it'd also have to fit, and handle a transfer case. Tremec makes plenty of MTs for big horsepower/big torque engines.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
There is, but it'd also have to fit, and handle a transfer case. Tremec makes plenty of MTs for big horsepower/big torque engines.
I should have clarified as I meant that fit. The Cummins in the 2500 has a diesel with MT and that thing puts out way more TQ and HP, but its also much much larger

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Not true the Tremec 7 speed in the C7 is handling that much power.....TR-6070. So. There are manual gearboxes out there, just a matter of finding the right bellhousing and so on....

Oh like the TR-6060 in the SRT Redeye.... 6 speed and that belhousing might be a closer bolt up.....

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Speaking as someone who has not only done several diesel swaps but also built adapter plates, I can tell you there would likely be challenges physically fitting a manual transmission in a JT that can handle diesel power. It would have to be something this size:

ZF6+B350.jpg

That is a ZF6 (from Ford Super Duty) behind a Buick 350 I am building for my Wagoneer. Yes I love manuals so much I designed & build the adapter to do it. Could have bolted a 4 spd up to it but where is the fun in that? :)
It is a Massive transmission, long too. The JT transmission tunnel is pretty tight on the lighter 6 spd now.
A flywheel does not exist for the 3.0L sofar as I know either, and then we would be back to the clutch diameter/limiting factor discussion. The bellhousing dia would limit the clutch size to probably 11".
Assuming you could make an adapter plate work out, then you would have to deal with the electronics going from auto to stick = my experience ends here.

All this being said, pretty much anything can be done if you throw enough $100 bills at the project-
Sponsored