Gladiator with Manual Transmission

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Thanks for posting. I agree with his assessment to some extent - I was able to drive a 6MT JL back to back with an 8AT Gladiator Overland. The automatic is so good in these trucks, but ultimately the fun is more with the stick, IMO. Keeping $2k in my pocket was the final thing that put me into the MT camp on my order. Now if they will just make the thing. :|

Phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
In the video he mentioned that the clutch was tricky and he stalled it a few times. He complained about the lack of a dead pedal as well.

I'm guessing the manual in the gladiator is exactly the same as the JL. If that's this case, I COMPLETELY disagree with this guy. I owned a JL with a manual and it was awesome. I NEVER stalled it once, and thought it was one of the best manual transmissions I've driven. The lack of of a dead pedal never bothered me.

Reviews like this are great for reviewing the vehicle content.
But, when it comes to the driving experience...forget it....everyone should be their own judge.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
A couple of decades ago I had a Wrangler with a stick and loved it. I recently sat in a current Wrangler with a stick, did not drive it. But when moving the shifter around it did not feel very smooth. And yes I know that I really need to give it a try with the engine running and even with the wheels rolling down the road. So for now I must reserve judgement. Holding that back until the day that a manual Gladiator shows up at a dealership, if Jeep would just build some and then deliver them to dealerships.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
In the video he mentioned that the clutch was tricky and he stalled it a few times. He complained about the lack of a dead pedal as well.

I'm guessing the manual in the gladiator is exactly the same as the JL. If that's this case, I COMPLETELY disagree with this guy. I owned a JL with a manual and it was awesome. I NEVER stalled it once, and thought it was one of the best manual transmissions I've driven. The lack of of a dead pedal never bothered me.

Reviews like this are great for reviewing the vehicle content.
But, when it comes to the driving experience...forget it....everyone should be their own judge.
Of course not but then again no one has one to test drive.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Also posting this here for everyone’s info:

170B0A89-9DBC-4D99-9EEE-33B781A473C3.jpeg
765036B2-33F3-4BCC-B90F-00DE9A1EAF3B.jpeg
For everyone’s info I just found out that Harold Ziegler Dodge Jeep in Plainwell,Mi just got in a base Sport model with manual windows, mirrors and locks. It’s Red, has a rag top, an automatic transmission, tow package and rubber floor mats and no other options.Their web site shows that it is in transit but it is there, just got there. See the attached. Oh and FYI the guy there told me that there’s a total of 8 Overland models within 300 miles of them all equipped with a manual transmission. Looks like Bigfoot does exist.

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dragonfly JTR 6spd
After having my JTR 6speed for a month and almost 1k miles; have not regretted my decision once.
I remember watching this video as I was waiting for mine, and I could tell this person was not familiarized with a manual Jeep.
I was the same in '12 JK Sport S; my second wangler '14JKU Sport S was also manual. Third installment of '20 JTR is also manual.
Initially, I had very many stall outs, way more than either of my other JKs and kept telling my self that its not the Jeep and its user error.
I felt hill start assist fighting me, I hate the auto start/stop.
Ive turned off the hill start assist and Im making it a point to turn off the auto start stop each time I get in.
IIRC, I remember having to turn of the hill start assist in my '14; but don't recall this feature in the '12.
After those adjustments, Im back in a pure state of Jeep manual transmission nirvana.
I then remember this video, and Im pretty sure he does not mention those adjustments in his video.
I don't care to watch it again to find out for sure.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
After having my JTR 6speed for a month and almost 1k miles; have not regretted my decision once.
I remember watching this video as I was waiting for mine, and I could tell this person was not familiarized with a manual Jeep.
I was the same in '12 JK Sport S; my second wangler '14JKU Sport S was also manual. Third installment of '20 JTR is also manual.
Initially, I had very many stall outs, way more than either of my other JKs and kept telling my self that its not the Jeep and its user error.
I felt hill start assist fighting me, I hate the auto start/stop.
Ive turned off the hill start assist and Im making it a point to turn off the auto start stop each time I get in.
IIRC, I remember having to turn of the hill start assist in my '14; but don't recall this feature in the '12.
After those adjustments, Im back in a pure state of Jeep manual transmission nirvana.
I then remember this video, and Im pretty sure he does not mention those adjustments in his video.
I don't care to watch it again to find out for sure.
Amen!

At this point though, should turn this from him reviewing it unenthusiastically to member videos and pics of the manual Glads
Sponsored