Doors off in PA?

Papalecki

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Ive outside Philadelphia - what is the story on driving with no doors? Is it legal, has anyone gotten pulled over? I’ve heard conflicting stories...
Sponsored

BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ive outside Philadelphia - what is the story on driving with no doors? Is it legal, has anyone gotten pulled over? I’ve heard conflicting stories...
I've done it all summer with no issue. I haven't looked up the laws, but given i've driven by a number of small town cops with quotas to fill, as do innumerable Wranglers, i have to believe it's not a problem.

Blu542

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 94YJ, 4XE
I have been pulled over and warned twice, once on the Main Line (Berwyn) and once on Ridge Pike in Plymouth Twp. Some Townships have posted warnings on social media to Jeepers to keep their doors on or be ticketed. The way the PA vehicle code is written is vague, but I am not aware of a judge that has set precedent in favor of Jeepers.

There have been petitions and a currently stalled state legislative bill. Even Gov. Wolf is a Jeeper.

Big forum thread on WF:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/driving-doorless-a-call-to-action-1156345.html

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
This is news to me. In Erie PA for years and Jeeps all summer long with no doors and our local Jeep club. I've yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Over on the other Jeep Forum there a various cites to regulations in Pa which references vehicles must have doors. Technically it is illegal but most municipalities do not enforce the law.However , some officers use the law to stop the Jeep to see if everything is in order, other municipalities write tickets.

I usually ride around with tube doors in the summer, which some say technically do not comply with the Pa regs. I would argue otherwise.

While I was gassing up one day last summer , an officer was parked at the station. I asked him about the tube doors and he said "I would have a real problem if one of my men issued you a ticket, I think it looks cool." I asked him about door less and he said he would not stop someone that did not have doors unless it was a safety issues, such as small children in the rear.

Bottom line, its a crap shoot.

teckademics67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR, KLTH, CJ, JTR
Fellow PA guy here been driving jeeps most of my life, state law is not grey. A police officers personal choice to enforce the law is grey though. That's why so many PA Jeepers are confused because a cop in rural area isnt going to enforce it, a cop in the cities or a state boy are. It is highly enforced around areas like slippery rock where bantam jeep festival is.

Currently, the PA inspection code states - § 175.77 (f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Slighly less solid law are tube doors. Are tube or half doors ok? Only on some models. If it came from the factory with full doors, it has to have a full door or equivalent installed. If it came from the factory with half doors, like some TJs, then half doors or tube doors are ok.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Fellow PA guy here been driving jeeps most of my life, state law is not grey. A police officers personal choice to enforce the law is grey though. That's why so many PA Jeepers are confused because a cop in rural area isnt going to enforce it, a cop in the cities or a state boy are. It is highly enforced around areas like slippery rock where bantam jeep festival is.

Currently, the PA inspection code states - § 175.77 (f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Slighly less solid law are tube doors. Are tube or half doors ok? Only on some models. If it came from the factory with full doors, it has to have a full door or equivalent installed. If it came from the factory with half doors, like some TJs, then half doors or tube doors are ok.
I’ve done a fair amount of no doors driving in PA all over since 1993 or so and have never been stopped. I’ve also talked to numerous police, troopers, a Magisterial District judge and the former District Attorney. They all agree that this clause seems to add significant confusion into whether this is enforceable for no doors when the top is off.... unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof.
Is removing a hard top a modification? Is lowering a soft top a modification? What about installing an aftermarket spider shade? I’d say yes since it was delivered to me by the dealer with a top. I recognize how stupid and arbitrary this all is. I think everyone has to decide for themselves. Many police officers probably think they are doing their duty and protecting people trying to enforce this stupid inspection code. I hope they would focus instead on more serious inspection/safety and moving violations and give us Jeepers a break. Like everything, I’m a guy in the internet so YMMV

Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Live in MA I grew up and have family in PA. I remember driving around with my uncle and no doors all the time. But According to what I googled people have gone to a magistrate hearing and lost this one.

unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or sides”.

From what i understand (TLDR) The Jeep is manufactured with both sides and doors, so you gotta keep them. So if your factory doors will be able to bolt back on you are required to run the factory (not aftermarket) doors. Doubt the mopar tubes count either.

But an old school VW Dune buggy is modified without real sides or doors. Or one of those Ariel Atoms you’ll be fine. So I guess you need a dune buggy tub to drop on a CJ

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
And how does PA feel about windshields? Previously living in rural NY my glass was just about never up.

The NY law pretty much says if it was manufactured with a windshield, it needs to have a windshield and it must be of a safety glazing type.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
It still has a windshield, it’s just laying on the hood.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Such was my answer, pointed out the osha/ansi spec eyeware, showed my legal reg and inspection stickers and was promptly and politely told to beat it. Never dared play the game south of orange & putnam though.

The doors thing, I presume if everyone is belted and not being an obvious hooligan chances of being hassled are low.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Oh...so NY has the same issue? Too bad. I am in Putnam county for half the year and will see what I can get away with on doors.
Sponsored