First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Pardon my naivety, but when/why would a guy need a dual battery setup? Additionally, why would you stop at a dual setup versus a triple (if that is even a thing)?
I now that this is a few months late, but it deserves a fuller answer. First, as mentioned before, it's a good idea to keep certain loads off of the start battery. The second battery is where you should wire the bulk of the newly added items--a high wattage inverter, CB/ham radios, refrigerator, off-road lights, etc. As stated earlier, this will extend the life of the original battery. And, when used during times camped, etc, it will preserve the start battery for that purpose the next morning (or even several days later).

But, there are other advantages, too. First, most battery isolators--an integral part of a good dual-battery install--have a provision to override the isolation in the event the start battery isn't powerful enough to crank your vehicle. Usually it connects the two batteries for a minute or so, during which time you can use both batteries together to get your vehicle started. Think of it as self-jump starting. After the minute, the isolator returns to normal function, isolating the two batteries so that the start battery is first connected to the alternator to recharge, then connecting the aux/house battery into the circuit to charge both.

Next, if you drive washboard roads, that's about the most severe service that a typical battery will see. The harsh vibrations tear up the insides of the batteries. That's why those expensive AGM batteries exist. But, even if you have one of them, you could find yourself with a dead battery. Suppose that happens when the next town is 350 miles away, and you're not sure they have a battery that will fit your vehicle, and the next town after that is 444 miles back the other direction? Yeah, it happened to my friend's JK during a trip to the Arctic Ocean ...

11 minutes if not forwarded automatically (battery story ends at the beginning of part 9) ...
Sponsored

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Great write up. I have the Genesis kit in my JKU. Has performed flawlessly for years. I already ordered the kit for my JTR. I'm sure you could possibly fab up a kit yourself but for the money...I don't think you can beat it. It is neat, professional and looks like it belongs there.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I like everything about the Genesis dual battery kit except for the outrageous price.

I'd love to run this kit in my Gladiator (I've run dual batteries for years) but no way in hell I'm spending "roughly $1300" to do it this way

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Not sure where the 1300 price tag came from. I just picked up the Genesis kit for 476.00 from River City Offroad during Cyber Week. As for that what you spend on Group 25 batteries is up to you. You could buy cheap 100+ dollar batteries or go with 250+ or so Odyssey Extreme. Your choice at that point.
But...I think the price of the Genesis kit is very fair. Think most would be hard pressed to duplicate the fit and function without spending more than it is worth in your own time and money. The batteries are a mute point because your buying those regardless whether a DIY setup or buying the kit.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where the 1300 price tag came from. I just picked up the Genesis kit for 476.00 from River City Offroad during Cyber Week. As for that what you spend on Group 25 batteries is up to you. You could buy cheap 100+ dollar batteries or go with 250+ or so Odyssey Extreme. Your choice at that point.
But...I think the price of the Genesis kit is very fair. Think most would be hard pressed to duplicate the fit and function without spending more than it is worth in your own time and money. The batteries are a mute point because your buying those regardless whether a DIY setup or buying the kit.
Thanks Harold, for your info on the Genesis kit being on sale at River City Offroad - it's still at the $476.00 price. I've put it in my cart and I'll buy it when I get back home from my business trip to India.

I understand the Genesis kit/systems does away with the ESS battery - that's great if it does. Can anyone confirm this? I can't view the YouTube installation video on Genesis' website to confirm. https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JeepJLDualBattery-p/185-jldbk.htm

Sponsored

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Harold, for your info on the Genesis kit being on sale at River City Offroad - it's still at the $476.00 price. I've put it in my cart and I'll buy it when I get back home from my business trip to India.

I understand the Genesis kit/systems does away with the ESS battery - that's great if it does. Can anyone confirm this? I can't view the YouTube installation video on Genesis' website to confirm. https://www.genesisoffroad.com/JeepJLDualBattery-p/185-jldbk.htm

The Genesis system does away with the secondary ESS battery. Your items running off the ESS battery will now be run off your main battery with the 2nd battery being your back up. I understand you haven't been able to access the video. When you are able to you will see the install is very straight forward with no cutting or modifications needed. Not sure if you can access youtube where you are but the video is on there as well.

Last edited:

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
The Genesis system does away with the secondary ESS battery. Your items running off the ESS battery will now be run off your 2nd battery. I understand you haven't been able to access the video. When you are able to you will see the install is very straight forward with no cutting or modifications needed. Not sure if you can access youtube where you are but the video is on there as well.
The Genesis system converts ESS to a single battery system, the second battery is a backup/accessory battery.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Genesis system converts ESS to a single battery system, the second battery is a backup/accessory battery.
I believe you are correct. Think we were saying the same thing different ways. From factory, the small battery runs all your electronics during an engine stop so your main battery, cranking battery, has no drain. When the Genesis system is installed. All power runs through the primary cranking battery with the 2nd being for backup or extra draw.

Last edited:

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe you are correct. Think we were saying the same thing different ways. From factory, the small battery runs all your electronics during an engine stop so your main battery, cranking battery, has no drain. When the Genesis system is installed. You will have a split system with one battery being your cranking battery and all the electronics moved to the 2nd battery.
Not saying the same thing. The Genesis system runs everything off of the main battery including the electronics, unless it is a different for the JT than the JL. All the positive connections from both ESS batteries are connected to the main ESS battery.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not saying the same thing. The Genesis system runs everything off of the main battery including the electronics, unless it is a different for the JT than the JL. All the positive connections from both ESS batteries are connected to the main ESS battery.

My fault. I stand corrected. Just looked at video again. You are right. All power gets routed to the main cranking battery with your 2nd battery being a backup. I apologize for the confusion on my end.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My fault. I stand corrected. Just looked at video again. You are right. All power gets routed to the main cranking battery with your 2nd battery being a backup. I apologize for the confusion on my end.
No problem.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Genesis system does away with the secondary ESS battery. Your items running off the ESS battery will now be run off your main battery with the 2nd battery being your back up. I understand you haven't been able to access the video. When you are able to you will see the install is very straight forward with no cutting or modifications needed. Not sure if you can access youtube where you are but the video is on there as well.
Is the ESS battery removed during the Genesis dual battery installation?

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the ESS battery removed during the Genesis dual battery installation?
Yes, the ESS battery and the original factory battery are both removed and not reused.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.